MAME Selfboot Recipe and Recommendations?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ScDreamX
rebel

MAME Selfboot Recipe and Recommendations?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 pm

I have done a lot with AES4ALL/NEO4ALL. Thanks Chui!

Can anyone recommend a way to make self-booting MAME discs, and what games play well in terms of graphics/sound/playability also? Genre doesn't matter all that much, just fun.

Yes, I realize that a lot of space goes unused on a single game disc, but it is much easier for kids to play when there are not a lot of menus to jump through.

Thanks for all ideas!

ScDreamX
rebel

Re: MAME Selfboot Recipe and Recommendations?

Post#2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm

The silence here is deafening. Can anyone help me get clue?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

This is all you need. I believe it has all compatible games, but not totally sure. I just uploaded it there from snesorama.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... pport-cdi/

ScDreamX
rebel

Post#4 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks, your contributions are AWESOME. But I was looking to take just a single game and put it on a self-booting disc. It makes it much easier for kids and guests to play with a single title and no menu.

With NEO4ALL, I learned that if I renamed a ROM to "game.aes" and packaged it with these files
1st_read.bin
config.cfg
IP.BIN
NEO4ALL (folder of support ROM bits)
And then used Bootdreams I could make a single-disc game.

I am trying to understand how to do the same for some of the arcade titles that are on the MAME stuff. For example, I want to make a single disc game of "xybots.zip" but don't know where to start or what to get to make it self bootable and playable.

Help?

Thanks.

Whut-evar
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 am

There isn't any single game option for this emu, sorry.

- Download the Dreamcast binaries from here. http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/mame4all.html

- Extract them to their own folder like 'C:\Mame4all', or whatever.

- Place your MAME roms into the example rom folder, ie - 'C:\Mame4all\roms\'.

Although it it supposed to support a few v0.035, you'll need MAME v0.034 roms to play it safe. Check here for games that are supported under v0.035, but there's no guarantee that they will work in Mame4all. You could just download the image linked to by Anthony817 for roms.

- Place any corresponding (old style) MAME samples into the example folder 'C:\Mame4all\samples'.

If you need them, you can do a Google search for the old MAME sample sets as they don't use the same format in the current mame anymore.

- Using BootDreams, select the example folder 'C:\Mame4all', and create a disc image. I'd go with CDI, and then burn with IMGBurn. Use the dll from BootDream's 'tools' folder if IMGBurn asks for the padus dll.

- Test in NullDC before burning.

As far as recommendations, you could start by putting together a beat'em up collection.

I'd go with 'King of Dragons', 'TMNT: Arcade Game' (2player), 'The Punisher', 'Knights of the Round', 'P.O.W.', 'Cadillacs and Dinosaurs', 'Captain Commando', 'Final Fight', etc...

The emulator uses three different binaries, for three differing sub-sets of roms. You can find out which roms go under which binary by testing it under NullDC. Only select roms for 'Aged, Classic or Gold' to keep the disc menus at a minimum.

If you would like to download, and rebuild your own roms, let me know. I'll show you a method to downgrade most roms.

ScDreamX
rebel

Post#6 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Sorry, I didn't say 'thank you' early enough after I tried this, then I got distracted with other stuff. I plan on picking this up again next week.

Thanks for the knowledge!

marcosmoutta
lithium

Post#7 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Sorry for the late reply.

This is all you need. I believe it has all compatible games, but not totally sure. I just uploaded it there from snesorama.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... pport-cdi/

Dead link, could you reupload?

aldair
Metallic

Post#8 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 pm