Custom maps for Q3A - 2024 Release finally incoming!

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Holsten
fragger

Re: Custom maps for Q3A, looking for betatesters

Post by Holsten »

I bet Mechanic can figure it out. He is the master of quake 3 server hosting. ;)
Holsten knallt am dollsten.
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Impulse wrote:Maybe rename the modified maps you want to use to the regular map names? I can't remember if I tried that.
That's what you did on the custom CDI you sent me way back. Just testing it out now on single player and it loaded a custom map when I selected the first map in the game.

Edit: Well that's what it seemed like anyway. For some reason all the other maps just seem to cause the game to crash back to the main menu.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live
moi
blackout!

Post by moi »

Impulse wrote:
Hey moi! I totally understand the lack of free time. I remember us talking and you said I could go ahead and setup a server with the maps you converted. I never got around to doing this so it's my fault that your work hasn't been incorporated in the online q3 realm. I've been out of the loop for a while.

I have the files backed up somewhere if you need them.

There's one problem using the maps online. I could not get the server to recognize a non standard map rotation. It tried editing the server to use the different map names. Just kept crashing. So the trick is to jump on the server with everyone who's going to play (using modified iso) and then manually change maps with the command. Nobody will be able to join after that. I'm sure there is a way around this. Someone smarter than me could figure it out. Maybe rename the modified maps you want to use to the regular map names? I can't remember if I tried that.

All this talk makes me want to get it up and running. All we have to do is share the iso with whoever wants to play. I could spin the server up for quake night.

Hey Impulse,

I bet the crashing is due to Q3ADC's internal map list that is stored inside the game's main binary at offset 0xdc768 where you can see all supported map names and their game modes and attributes. This list defines which maps will be supported and shown on a hosted server in DC's ingame server browser.

Code: Select all

\num\0\map\dc_map01\bots\crash\longname\Introduction\special\Training\fraglimit\5\type\single...\num\1\map\dc_map02\bots\ranger\longname\Arena Gate\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team...\num\2\map\dc_map03\bots\phobos\longname\House Of Pain\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\3\map\dc_map04\bots\anarki\longname\Powerstation 0218\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\4\map\dc_map05\bots\mynx orbb\longname\Arena Of Death\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team....\num\5\map\dc_map06\bots\wrack doom\longname\Blue Monday\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team..\num\6\map\dc_map07\bots\keel visor daemia\longname\Hidden Fortress\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\7\map\dc_map08\bots\klesk\longname\Dark Chapel\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\8\map\dc_map09\bots\angel bitterman grunt\longname\Place Of Many Deaths\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team..\num\9\map\dc_map10\bots\hossman stripe\longname\The Forgotten Place\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team..\num\10\map\dc_map11\bots\wrack patriot biker\longname\The Camping Grounds\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team....\num\11\map\dc_map12\bots\uriel\longname\Fatal Instinct\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team...\num\12\map\dc_map13\bots\lucy major keel\longname\Temple of Retribution\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team..\num\13\map\dc_map14\bots\visor hunter cadavre\longname\Lost World\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team....\num\14\map\dc_map15\bots\razor gorre slash\longname\Gaze Of The Abyss\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\15\map\dc_map16\bots\tankjr\longname\The Proving Grounds\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team.\num\16\map\dc_map17\bots\daemia patriot angel\longname\Evil Playground\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\17\map\dc_map18\bots\doom sarge bones\longname\The Bouncy Map\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team....\num\18\map\dc_map19\bots\major sorlag orbb\longname\The Longest Yard\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team.\num\19\map\dc_map20\bots\xaero\longname\Hell's Gate\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team..\num\20\map\dc_map21\longname\Dueling Keeps\type\ctf....\num\21\map\dc_map22\longname\Space CTF\type\ctf....\num\22\map\dc_map23\longname\Blast Radius\type\ctf.\num\23\map\dc_map24\longname\Fallout Bunker\type\ctf...\num\24\map\dc_ss401\longname\Revolver\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4....\num\25\map\dc_ss402\longname\Frenzy\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4..\num\26\map\dc_ss403\longname\Incinerator\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4.\num\27\map\dc_ss404\longname\Brute Force\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4.\num\28\map\dc_ss405\longname\Agony\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4...\num\29\map\dc_ss406\longname\Crisis\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4..\num\30\map\dc_ss407\longname\Incinerator\type\ctf ss2 ss4..\num\31\map\dc_ss408\longname\Slow Burn\type\ctf ss2 ss4....\num\32\map\dc_ss409\longname\Revolver\type\ctf ss2 ss4.\num\33\map\dc_ss201\longname\House Of Pain\type\ffa tourney team ss2...\num\34\map\dc_ss202\longname\Arena Of Death\type\ffa team ss2..\num\35\map\dc_ss203\longname\Place Of Many Deaths\type\ffa team ss2....\num\36\map\dc_ss204\longname\Powerstation 0218\type\ffa team ss2...\num\37\map\dc_ss205\longname\Blue Monday\type\ffa tourney team ss2...

Back in 2017 when I got my dreampi to work I managed to hexedit that list to show custom map names
on my local server. As usual with hexediting you are limited by the original size of the area you are modifying. Meaning without readressing(more complex modifications to the game executable file) you have to configure all you maps in around under 3200 bytes(the total number of characters used inside the list above).
Last edited by moi on Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
moi
blackout!

Post by moi »

Holsten wrote:I bet Mechanic can figure it out. He is the master of quake 3 server hosting. ;)
He and probably @-drez01- who had released a Q3A iso for the SD card adapters over a decade ago featuring pc maps allowing dc players joining more pc servers.
Last edited by moi on Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moi
blackout!

Post by moi »

rjbr wrote:how many new maps did you make?

who has dreamshell hd sata, will it work?
Dozens, of which around 10 highly polished ones which run flawlessly with 4 bots, suggesting they'd be working fine with 4 players online with bba and probably modem connection.
rjbr
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso v2 e quake 3, 4x4 evo, ooga booga, monaco, tetris, maximum pool, pba, Daytona Usa

Post by rjbr »

I want this quake 3 iso with new maps to run on my dreamshell hd sata, posted here on the forum, for people to download.
Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Planet Ring
Quake III Arena
Phantasy Star Online ver. 2
Maximum Pool
4x4 Evolution

Post by Impulse »

moi wrote:
Impulse wrote:
Hey moi! I totally understand the lack of free time. I remember us talking and you said I could go ahead and setup a server with the maps you converted. I never got around to doing this so it's my fault that your work hasn't been incorporated in the online q3 realm. I've been out of the loop for a while.

I have the files backed up somewhere if you need them.

There's one problem using the maps online. I could not get the server to recognize a non standard map rotation. It tried editing the server to use the different map names. Just kept crashing. So the trick is to jump on the server with everyone who's going to play (using modified iso) and then manually change maps with the command. Nobody will be able to join after that. I'm sure there is a way around this. Someone smarter than me could figure it out. Maybe rename the modified maps you want to use to the regular map names? I can't remember if I tried that.

All this talk makes me want to get it up and running. All we have to do is share the iso with whoever wants to play. I could spin the server up for quake night.

Hey Impulse,

I bet the crashing is due to Q3ADC's internal map list that is stored inside the game's main binary at offset 0xdc768 where you can see all supported map names and their game modes and attributes. This list defines which maps will be supported and shown on a hosted server in DC's ingame server browser.

Code: Select all

\num\0\map\dc_map01\bots\crash\longname\Introduction\special\Training\fraglimit\5\type\single...\num\1\map\dc_map02\bots\ranger\longname\Arena Gate\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team...\num\2\map\dc_map03\bots\phobos\longname\House Of Pain\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\3\map\dc_map04\bots\anarki\longname\Powerstation 0218\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\4\map\dc_map05\bots\mynx orbb\longname\Arena Of Death\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team....\num\5\map\dc_map06\bots\wrack doom\longname\Blue Monday\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team..\num\6\map\dc_map07\bots\keel visor daemia\longname\Hidden Fortress\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\7\map\dc_map08\bots\klesk\longname\Dark Chapel\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\8\map\dc_map09\bots\angel bitterman grunt\longname\Place Of Many Deaths\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team..\num\9\map\dc_map10\bots\hossman stripe\longname\The Forgotten Place\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team..\num\10\map\dc_map11\bots\wrack patriot biker\longname\The Camping Grounds\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team....\num\11\map\dc_map12\bots\uriel\longname\Fatal Instinct\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team...\num\12\map\dc_map13\bots\lucy major keel\longname\Temple of Retribution\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team..\num\13\map\dc_map14\bots\visor hunter cadavre\longname\Lost World\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team....\num\14\map\dc_map15\bots\razor gorre slash\longname\Gaze Of The Abyss\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa tourney team....\num\15\map\dc_map16\bots\tankjr\longname\The Proving Grounds\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team.\num\16\map\dc_map17\bots\daemia patriot angel\longname\Evil Playground\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team...\num\17\map\dc_map18\bots\doom sarge bones\longname\The Bouncy Map\fraglimit\15\type\single ffa team....\num\18\map\dc_map19\bots\major sorlag orbb\longname\The Longest Yard\fraglimit\20\type\single ffa team.\num\19\map\dc_map20\bots\xaero\longname\Hell's Gate\fraglimit\10\type\single ffa tourney team..\num\20\map\dc_map21\longname\Dueling Keeps\type\ctf....\num\21\map\dc_map22\longname\Space CTF\type\ctf....\num\22\map\dc_map23\longname\Blast Radius\type\ctf.\num\23\map\dc_map24\longname\Fallout Bunker\type\ctf...\num\24\map\dc_ss401\longname\Revolver\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4....\num\25\map\dc_ss402\longname\Frenzy\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4..\num\26\map\dc_ss403\longname\Incinerator\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4.\num\27\map\dc_ss404\longname\Brute Force\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4.\num\28\map\dc_ss405\longname\Agony\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4...\num\29\map\dc_ss406\longname\Crisis\type\ffa tourney team ss2 ss4..\num\30\map\dc_ss407\longname\Incinerator\type\ctf ss2 ss4..\num\31\map\dc_ss408\longname\Slow Burn\type\ctf ss2 ss4....\num\32\map\dc_ss409\longname\Revolver\type\ctf ss2 ss4.\num\33\map\dc_ss201\longname\House Of Pain\type\ffa tourney team ss2...\num\34\map\dc_ss202\longname\Arena Of Death\type\ffa team ss2..\num\35\map\dc_ss203\longname\Place Of Many Deaths\type\ffa team ss2....\num\36\map\dc_ss204\longname\Powerstation 0218\type\ffa team ss2...\num\37\map\dc_ss205\longname\Blue Monday\type\ffa tourney team ss2...

Back in 2017 when I got my dreampi to work I managed to hexedit that list to show custom map names
on my local server. As usual with hexediting you are limited by the original size of the area you are modifying. Meaning without readressing(more complex modifications to the game executable file) you have to configure all you maps in around under 3200 bytes(the total number of characters used inside the list above).
Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense that you need to modify the game itself.

So this has the potential to be really seamless. Some time needs to be spent figuring out which maps are worthwhile to include in this limited space.
-Impulse
law56ker
rebel

Post by law56ker »

This is really awesome, I used to play this game on pc a very long time ago, using 56k modem
deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

bump
Holsten
fragger

Post by Holsten »

Is there anything going on with this project? The regular quake 3 Fragnight players would be happy to test stuff if there is anything that can be tested.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.