Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:20 am

If you've ever wanted to try modding Dreamcast games, then this is where to start

EXTRACTING

To start, extract all of the tools in the toolkit attached below into the root of your hard drive. For example purpose of this guide, we will assume this is called "C:\"

Move your CDI disc image file to the cdirip folder

Double click the cdirip exe in the cdirip folder and point it to your CDI disc image file. When it asks the destination folder, point it to "C:\isofix"

Take note of the LBA value in track 2

Next, go into the 'isofix' folder. There will now be a filed called "bootfile.bin". Rename this to "ip.bin" and save it to a new folder "C:\discroot"

Double click 'isofix.exe'

When it asks for the iso file to fix, input "tdata02.iso". It will then ask for the LBA value, this is the LBA noted before. In this case input "11702"

Now install the ISObuster. The installation file is included in the toolkit attached below. Once you have done that, open ISObuster. Then open "fixed.iso" in "C:\isofix"

Navigate to CD --> Session 1 --> Track 01 and click the red "ISO" icon

Highlight all files and right-click, select "Extract Objects"

Select "C:\discroot" as the destination folder

Lastly, right-click the red "ISO" icon and navigate to "Folder tree and file information --> List tree-info (in txt file) --> LBA Full Path"

Save FileList.txt in the "sortfile" folder included in the toolkit. Which should be in "C:\sortfile"

The image is now properly extracted

---------------

Recompiling

Once you have made your modifications, you will then have to recompile the CDI image

First, we need to prepare the sort file. Open the "C:\sortfile" and double click "listorganizer.au3"

Select the FileList.txt file from before. It will then output your sort file called "output.txt"

Move "output.txt" to "C:\mkisofs"

Open output.txt and add the following line

Code: Select all

>:\IP.BIN 30001

THE SPACE IS IMPORTANT

If you removed or added a significant amount of data. It may be necessary to make a new DUMMY.DAT file to reflect the current amount of data. If you would like to do this then download and install "BootDreams". On the top menu bar navigate to "Extras --> Dummy file --> Custom MB" and input "670"
Select "C:\discroot" as the selfboot folder, input anything as the disc label and click "Process". When it brings up the box to save the CDI file exit BootDreams. As it will have already created your new DUMMY.DAT file. Just rename it from DUMMY000.DAT to DUMMY.DAT

Now click the Windows start button. Then type "cmd" and press enter

Now type

cd c:\mkisofs

Followed by

mkisofs -C 0,11702 -V MODDED_CDI -sort output.txt -l -o new.iso c:\discroot

Then move "new.iso" from "C:\mkisofs" to "C:\isofix"

Open isofix.exe again, enter "new.iso" with LBA "11702"

Depending on how many files you added, you can open ISObuster again, generate a new "FileList.txt" then run "listorganizer.au3" and compile a new ISO with the new sort. I always do this, but it may not be needed.

Lastly, copy "fixed.iso" to "C:\bin2boot"

Open bin2boot.exe and enter "fixed.iso"

Your new CDI file will be generated and ready to burn 8-)
Attachments
cdi_toolkit.zip
(6.18 MiB) Downloaded 5366 times
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

TheGershon
noob

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:26 am

bin2boot doesn't work on anything past XP, is there an alternative?

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Hey dan so iv been trying this with Dcres release of sa2 and with out doing any mods or adding anything ias v been just testing to see if i can get it to just boot up but so far no luck. I dont think iv made any mistakes but i notice when i do the cdi rip no "bootfile.bin" appears so that could be a issue. could also be the txts, here they are both before and after.
Attachments
output.txt
(79.39 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
FileList.txt
(89.55 KiB) Downloaded 767 times

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Oh and iv also made a update to the cdi toolkit with the mkisofs fixed!
Attachments
cdi_toolkit.7z
(6.48 MiB) Downloaded 1524 times

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#5 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Oh and iv also made a update to the cdi toolkit with the mkisofs fixed!
Attachments
toolkit update .7z
(6.48 MiB) Downloaded 1602 times

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#6 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:18 pm

okay solved one issue i was having and now it boots but is stuck in a endless loop. here is the updated txt
Attachments
output.txt
(79.39 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
FileList.txt
(89.55 KiB) Downloaded 762 times

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Hey dan is this tutorial only good for half-life? because the issue iv been having i think is in the recompiling section. could be the 11702 lba

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#8 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:09 am

If the LBA of the game you ripped was not 11702, or the binary was not the main binary (not 1st_read.bin) then you need to use binhack32 to hack the binary for lba 11702. Then make sure you either rename the binary to 1ST_READ.BIN, or (you should do this anyway to be sure you're booting the right binary) create a new IP.BIN (with either Sizious' tool or other tool) and set it to boot whatever FILE.BIN you want

You can also burn with CDRecord feature in BootDreams instead of rendering CDIs, though it writes directly to the CD without generating an image file
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm

so i created a new ip.bin then i ran the binhack 32 and gave it a msn vale of 0 and still no luck. so then i found some pff patches so i tried to apply them and still no luck. so il run through the whole process i followed all the steps until recompiling, then after making the new.iso i tried to apply the ppf patch with this http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pla ... f-patcher/ then ran through all the steps and then i try it in nulldc and it gets to the sega logo and then just loops again and again.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Salutations

I got the extraction part done , but it's two .bin and two .cue don't know how to re-combine ={

I want custom music in the SB/TXR 1/2 games .. preferably for TXR2 so I have to make custom BGM.afs which I think I managed .. using Goldwave not sure how to get a 22khz .wav

The biggest problem is re-combining the two images ..