Any Help on Developing a Dreamcast Game?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dodge2461
undertow

Any Help on Developing a Dreamcast Game?

Post#1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Hello again. As some of you know, I was working with a group to develop a game for the Dreamcast, Lone Wolf. The lead programmer decided to leave the project, thus shattering the rest of the team and ultimately canceling the project. I have decided to ry again with a new idea, but I decided to be the lead programmer. The only problem is that I have no Idea how to begin developing an entire game. If any of you could give any advice to a total newbie to DC developing, It would be highly appreciated.

If you have any questions regarding the project, please message me, as I have decided to keep pretty tight on details, just in case this project does not succeed.

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Any Help on Developing a Dreamcast Game?

Post#2 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Do you know how to program in the C programming language? If not, unfortunately it is very likely you are not going to be making a DC game anytime soon.

If you do have a pretty good understanding of C, then go and google how to set up a development environment with KallistiOS. KallistiOS comes with some documentation, but many people find it best to just dive in and analyze the source code available from various other people's homebrew efforts.

I get the idea there are not many programmers/developers on dc-talk as compared to some other sites. dcemulation and assemblergames are better forums and have better resources for you than this forum. You should be able to get KallistiOS at dcemulation if their files are still active.

As an alternative, I guess you could make a game as a full fledged MOD in the Quake 1 engine using QuakeC. Here's info on QuakeC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeC