SLaVE

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: SLaVE

Post#201 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm

If an indie on Dreamcast has netplay, it should be slightly ambitious

I'd like to see 56k be an option, with leaderboards\achievements. Voice chat. Maybe even some kind of external network login credentials, perhaps linked with Dreamcast Now, to display all those stats etc on the internet somewhere\somehow. Maybe even coupled with an opensource toolset to allow devs in the future to link a game to this system

XP LEVELING SYSTEM

Might sound like an arrogant suggestion, but if that happened the way I see it; It would be insane to be playing on a CRT monitor, over 56k, with PC players at 3am in the dark with voice chat grinding to unlock achievements or get xp. Just because the Dreamcast is very underpowered doesn't mean an online experience comparable to modern games can't happen. It could generate a decent amount of good press in the gaming media, which would be good for game sales and for this community as a whole. This is one of the most niche and obscure gaming scenes today

Also Dreampipe BB can work like sub-reddits, except it works with old Dreamcast and Saturn browsers (which is the point), I'll make a Slave sub-bb if the devs are interested in adding an open source browser to access it. Or if the devs want me to do it regardless

I don't think i've given a suggestion post on this game so thats my two cents. The point of Dreampipe is actually to setup some kind of network with a modern feel like that but I lack the coding skills to do it myself. I actually gave Kazade the idea for Dreamcast Now as an addon feature for Dreampipe, but he did his own thing which is a lot better and I'm glad he did

Will Slave have keyboard and mouse support?
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#202 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Double post, I don't do it often but these are two different but related thoughts

If that was an appealing idea to the devs. I think Corbyn is also with (or the) team for Hypertension. What sounds better than above is finishing Slave, perhaps take the finished Slave engine, begin creation of netplay and the gaming network system thing mentioned in my previous post, then intergrate that into Hypertension to have two games support this new gaming network system thing

I don't expect this to actually be done, but it is some food for thought for the devs that might spur their own better ideas like dc now. If you have a running FPS game on Dreamcast you already have quite a powerful platform to get creative with
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Corbyn
Developer

Post#203 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:37 am

That idea actually sounds neat, might consider it for future titles. Hypertension's engine is more advanced as it works a little differently than Slave's tailored fork.

However, I would need a programmer to help with it though, I cannot devote any extra time. After Slave ships, we will move onto its sequel, Piko's Noah's Ark 3D (it will most likely use the exact same engine as Slave), and of course, Hypertension is still in active production.

Corbyn
Developer

Post#204 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Mission stick and ASCII CONTROLLER (are they the same thing??) is also being supported! GOAT mailed me pretty much every controller imaginable and support will be in the game before release!

Looking for a mid-late 2017 release guys! Realistically in September or early October!! Just putting final touches on the game since all bugs are dead!

Pretty excited on my end. Next up: SLaVE 2, and Piko's Super Noah's Ark 3D!

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#205 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Corbyn wrote:Mission stick and ASCII CONTROLLER (are they the same thing??) is also being supported! GOAT mailed me pretty much every controller imaginable and support will be in the game before release!

Looking for a mid-late 2017 release guys! Realistically in September or early October!! Just putting final touches on the game since all bugs are dead!

Sounds great. Slave 2, nice. Slave looks like it will be fun.

BloodBrother
core

Post#206 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 am

DR TEAMCAST wrote:If an indie on Dreamcast has netplay, it should be slightly ambitious

I'd like to see 56k be an option, with leaderboards\achievements. Voice chat. Maybe even some kind of external network login credentials, perhaps linked with Dreamcast Now, to display all those stats etc on the internet somewhere\somehow. Maybe even coupled with an opensource toolset to allow devs in the future to link a game to this system

XP LEVELING SYSTEM

Might sound like an arrogant suggestion, but if that happened the way I see it; It would be insane to be playing on a CRT monitor, over 56k, with PC players at 3am in the dark with voice chat grinding to unlock achievements or get xp. Just because the Dreamcast is very underpowered doesn't mean an online experience comparable to modern games can't happen.

That is an ambitious idea, and I like it. It would be way fucking rad. My favorite online experiences off the top of my head are Unreal Championship and Halo 2, on the OG Xbox. I feel like their online aspects are comparible to what you describe, barebones or simple, but not lacking. Would that be possible to do?
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

BloodBrother
core

Post#207 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:54 am

Corbyn wrote:Mission stick and ASCII CONTROLLER (are they the same thing??) is also being supported! GOAT mailed me pretty much every controller imaginable and support will be in the game before release!

Thank you for the rough ETA, im gonna go scribble on my calendar :) lol. Also, looking forward to Hypertension..
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Corbyn
Developer

Post#208 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Hypertension is still in development, but its still heavily in production, not really in a state to show too much off yet. A lot of engine updates and additions were made for the game recently to facilitate the design, so no release dates will happen for awhile. We are still struggling to get that game running on the DC at a decent framerate, but we are focusing on creating it for the PC platform first. We will keep people up to date as much as possible on that development. :-)

lerabot
blackout!

Post#209 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 am

Wow, I want SLaVE now. The last video was reallly nice. I can't order it from goatstore for some reason. It doesn't update the shipping cost when I select Canada.
Indie Game Studio

Corbyn
Developer

Post#210 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Turns out the ASCII stick is supported, you just have to set it up in the controls menu. I might make a last minute addition to have presets before it ships though ;)

Getting close now! Just working on the intro and outro cinematics now ;-)

Return to “New Games”