Ameba

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO V2, Toy Racer , Quake 3 Arena

Re: Ameba

Post by DarkSynbios »

On Saturn version if happen, will be cool if you give support for 4MB RAM ;)
Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post by Omnibot2000 »

Are you going the "Police Officer Smith"-route?

http://www.policeofficersmith.de

I mean, are you planning to use a special cartridge to bypass the Saturn's security system? Or are you trying to replicate the security ring on the discs? Either way, I'm very excited for it, because the Saturn is my favourite console of all times and I always hoped that there would be a proper solution for homebrew someday.

Regarding your calculation/estimation of demand and quantities: Polls. Polls here, Polls on Facebook, Polls in other forums. You tell me what you want to know, I ask for you with a poll in a german forum. We have members here from various nations and I'm sure that many are willing to help. I don't want to play this task down, I'm aware that it is very difficult, and polls are certainly not THE solution, but you have to start somewhere, you are going where no hombrewer has gone before ;) so you need to do fundamental work. As if developing, producing and distributing two Dreamcast games isn't ambitious enough :D

For me personally, the Saturn version at this point (just because I haven't seen that much of the game itself and I assume it will be some kind of graphic adventure / novel, which, again ;) isn't my favourite genre) is much more interesting than the DC version, just because it will be on the Saturn. So while I'm really hyped for Xenocider, I have yet to see more of Ameba before I can really appreciate it as a game and not only as a pathbreaking pioneer in Saturn homebrew.
Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None.

Post by Wrath of Khan »

I do have a saturn. I recently unearthed it and put it away neatly in a box on a shelf.
Yes, Ameba does not look like my cup of tea either, but I'll still need to see more - I'll still support it though.
Xenocider is the one I have my eye on for sure.
Has there been any significant Saturn indie games?
hombreimaginario
Developer

Post by hombreimaginario »

Wrath of Khan wrote:Have ye got a rough budget estimate for xenocider? Or are ye going to build a demo first and then take it from there?
I guess xenocider could be more expensive to make than your average dreamcast indie game. I hope ye can pull it off.
Let us know how ye get on with the saturn and running ameba on there.
Xenocider is more ambitious from a technical point of view, but it's not that hard to produce. Ameba means TONS of work, not that much on the coding part, but on script writing and original art. Our plan is to release a demo for both projects.

Anyway, Ameba is the one (hopefully) coming to the Saturn.
DarkSynbios wrote:On Saturn version if happen, will be cool if you give support for 4MB RAM ;)
That's.... a feasible possibility.
Omnibot2000 wrote:I mean, are you planning to use a special cartridge to bypass the Saturn's security system? Or are you trying to replicate the security ring on the discs? Either way, I'm very excited for it, because the Saturn is my favourite console of all times and I always hoped that there would be a proper solution for homebrew someday.
The Police Office Smith route sounds exciting and challenging. Pity that there hasn't been any news on that since 2009 (that I know of, anyway). Whatever the case, both options are equally possible and would be equally expensive/complicated. Selling the game with a custom cart MIGHT be easier to achieve, but more expensive to manufacture. My idea is we could use the cart also to include the manual and/or the credits and/or some piece of exclusive art inside, but this is just me speculating :)
Wrath of Khan wrote:I do have a saturn. I recently unearthed it and put it away neatly in a box on a shelf.
Yes, Ameba does not look like my cup of tea either, but I'll still need to see more - I'll still support it though.
Xenocider is the one I have my eye on for sure.
Has there been any significant Saturn indie games?
Thank you. Obviously, we hope that the fact of releasing the first significant/commercial indie game for the Saturn is big news enough to attract attention/sales. Nevertheless, a Saturn version is exclusively a personal challenge for us, and not something we intend to make any money of, as we are aware of how small this market probably is.

--

Come on, we want to know more!!!! What do you guys think of the viabilty of a Saturn version??? :D
Last edited by hombreimaginario on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post by DarkSynbios »

Hey Carlos we want to know more and of course we ask more for technical details :P . As Ameba is a novel game they are will be a small videos scenes? Like anime style.
Ameba will have multiple endings? Think about like Heavy Rain. Thinking about to give exclusive content to both format?
And tell Chui to find a way to support Hi-Vision mode on Saturn, maybe later will create a cable to support it (lol)
hombreimaginario
Developer

Post by hombreimaginario »

DarkSynbios wrote:Hey Carlos we want to know more and of course we ask more for technical details :P . As Ameba is a novel game they are will be a small videos scenes? Like anime style.
Ameba will have multiple endings? Think about like Heavy Rain. Thinking about to give exclusive content to both format?
And tell Chui to find a way to support Hi-Vision mode on Saturn, maybe later will create a cable to support it (lol)
I meant we want to know more of your opinions on the viability of releasing the game for the Saturn ;)

We are not sure about the videos yet. But the time for deciding that will come. Personally, I'm not that interested in videos as such, but instead in a more unique, Sin City style, comic-book like sequences. We'll see.

Due mainly to memory limitations and hardware specifics, yes, there will be exclusive content on each platform. A hi-res art gallery for the DC and extra character profiles for the Saturn, for example, could be an example (but this is just speculation, nothing is decided yet).

Four different endings are planned at the moment.
DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post by DarkSynbios »

I do like to see a new game for Sega Saturn!
Its always be my fav console because of exclusive games and multimedia things! ( i remember till 2004 i was watching new VCD movies, english language and chinese subs lol). You have my support! :D
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

How does one do an unofficial game for the saturn?
I mean that thing is so well protected, it won't just boot up any random disk without the proper modchip/card/swap trick involved...or at least that's what I always assumed as I only got legit games for the system
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here
DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post by DarkSynbios »

mazonemayu wrote:How does one do an unofficial game for the saturn?
I mean that thing is so well protected, it won't just boot up any random disk without the proper modchip/card/swap trick involved...or at least that's what I always assumed as I only got legit games for the system
The only logic is release with catridge with boot file inside. But the cost maybe takes a lil bit high but i dont think is problem that.
Nico0020
Sunday Shootout
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSOv2
Quake 3 Arena
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Ooga Booga
And more

Post by Nico0020 »

Visual novels get a lot more flack then they deserve. Usually due to the sexual nature of so many of them. But dont discount them, they offer amazing experiences. 999 is a good entry level one, and pheonix wright is basically one too. A good non JP made visual can offer an intereting experience for indie dc gamers