Dead Or Alive 2: Final (RELEASE!)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Green Ranger
killer

Dead Or Alive 2: Final (RELEASE!)

Post#1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

(UPDATE 3/17/2022): My new YouTube Channel can be found here- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEzvJ7 ... XD0n-ItpTg
If you're a subscriber to my old account, please subscribe to my new channel as new content will only be posted there.

I'm proud to announce that DEAD OR ALIVE 2: FINAL is complete and ready to be played!

You can download the game below using the 1st option which is a CDI you can burn to CD to play on original hardware, or the 2nd and 3rd options which are CDIs rebuilt by MoeFoh (by removing the dummy files needed to assist in CD loading, hence smaller sized CDIs to specifically run on emulators such as redream for Android, Flycast Standalone & Reicast, GDEMU/GDMENU). -

1) https://www.mediafire.com/file/labtu35eln3oq9h/DOA2_FINAL.rar/file

2) DOA2 FINAL (Rebuilt CDI by MoeFoh)
3) DOA2 FINAL with NEW Cover Art (Rebuilt CDI by MoeFoh)

And if you're interested, take a look at my YouTube channel to see numerous videos of this mod (and others) in varying progress- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEzvJ7EUnt1KcXD0n-ItpTg

(Note- If using the redream emulator, make sure to have the original bios in the redream folder to get the game running, found here- https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7562&p=172836#p172908)

Feel free to provide feedback in this thread, it's encouraged! If you find any bugs let me know. Questions and/or comments are welcome because I'd love to know what you guys think of all the changes! :D

Screenshots of the game in action-
New Title Screen

Jan Lee sporting a Dreamcast Shirt

Tina in her new Spider-Woman costume

Bass is now the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3

The Bunny from Zack's Scenario now playable and Helena in her Opera dress

Lei Fang in her Tomb Raider Outfit

Helena's new custom costume

Kasumi in a brand new bathing suit

WHAT IT IS: *CDI file of "Dead Or Alive 2 Limited Edition", modded extensively with new content for the last time by Green Ranger to warrant its new name- "DEAD OR ALIVE 2 FINAL".

THE BEGINNING:
I've been a fan of the Dreamcast version of DOA2 (Dead Or Alive 2) ever since I first played it. I examined the game's files eons ago and came to the conclusion that editing could be done to alter the game's content. I released two earlier mods, one called "DEAD OR ALIVE 2: SPECIAL EDITION" and "DEAD OR ALIVE 2: ULTIMATE EDITION". Those previous mods had some noticeable edits, but nothing as extensive as what you'll now find in "DEAD OR ALIVE 2 FINAL". With the edits from the previous two mods combined with this one, you'll find numerous costume changes, new character dialogue, new stage sequential orders for Story Mode, new Dead Or Alive music, etc. For more details on such changes, see below-

1) New Title Screen that reads- DEAD OR ALIVE 2 FINAL

2) Stage Slideshow during Title Screen sequence has been altered

2) New music throughout the game- Stages, Training Mode, Mode Select Screen and Ending Credits have new music

3) Character dialogue changed extensively to give some fighters new storylines, and also dialogue changed in general to sound less confusing when interacting with characters.

4) New/edited costumes for nearly every fighter (costumes from my previous mods were tweaked/updated for this release)

5) DOA3 character stances for Zack and Genfu

6) Bass & Tina's storyline now have a new Tina Poster on the brick wall and in Bass' room

7) Stage layouts differ for various characters in Story Mode- nice way to spice things up!

8) Bigger Dummy file in CDI image to allow for faster load times

9) In Versus & Watch Mode the Aerial Garden is automatically Night, press R-trigger to access Daytime Aerial Garden

10)I hope I'm not forgetting anything..! Read below for the costume changes-

KASUMI:
C1- Made Kasumi Outfit Red instead of Blue (I think it looks better)

C5- New Blue Bathing Suit

C1- New Tecmo Underwear with Bra, only accessible if you press R-trigger to select C1.

GENFU:
C6- Added Spider and Web Designs to his pants

TINA:
C1- New Spider-Woman Costume

C4- Play as Helena's Mom (Tina's *shredded* costume now edited and placed in her ending)

C5- Tina's Supermodel outfit now playable

**- Tina has a new runway outfit, modified from the *shredded* costume

ZACK:
C1- New 'Dhalsim' inspired costume

C2- Play as the Bunny that Zack wants to cook for Tina! (The Bunny is now Zack's height so expect hilarity & weirdness!)

C5- Removed glasses from Shawdowman costume- now you can finally see his eyes

JAN LEE:
C4- New Dreamcast Shirt costume

AYANE:
C4- Added glasses and band-aid to Ayane's face to give her more of a *nerdy* schoolgirl look

HELENA:
C1- Opera costume now playable

C5- New custom Helena skin- darker skin complexion, tattoo on chest, hair style change, different color clothes, etc.

BASS:
C2- New Resident Evil Nemesis Skin, with the face of Nemesis and the Umbrella logo on his back

C3- New 'Clown Man Bass' costume

LEON:
C3- New custom Bayman skin with yellow hat, green vest, blue/gray pants and facial war paint

LEI FANG:
C4- New Tomb Raider inspired costume

C5- Total color swap of Blue costume to Yellow

EIN:
C4- New Brad Wong costume

KNOWN BUGS:
1) When playing as Helena's Mom- during Tina's cutscene with Lei Fang, Tina throws a rock in front of Lei. If using Helena's Mom's skin, the rock is invisible in Tina's hands. Minor bug, but not game breaking.

GIVING THANKS:
The mod wouldn't be as successful without the assistance of a couple others who I'll name here...

Dee4doa- While modding DOA2 he came along and helped a great deal as we both managed to discover new things about the game's file formats which aided in further modding DOA2. He and I have both written tutorials on DOA2 which can be found on DCFORUMS.CO.UK

ダンディ(dandy)- He created a Texture Importer/Exporter tool which makes it easier to extract costume textures from .BIN files and inject them back in. An essential tool that makes costume modding so much easier!

AND FINALLY:
I hope everyone that downloads this enjoys the mod! This is purely a non-profit fan project that was done because I love the original game but wanted to tweak some things I felt needed improvement (such as the dialogue) as well try my hand at Dreamcast hacking, and I'm happy to say this was successful!

* I do not own the rights to the Dead Or Alive games or franchise and this project is not intended to infringe upon the rights of their respective owners- this project is a means to encourage further interest in a fighting game title which is no longer available/distributed on the market and is on a gaming console that has long been discontinued.

Extract the CDI and the README files from the archive. CDI is selfbooting, just burn it in Discjuggler with your usual *Dreamcast* settings and ENJOY!

- Green Ranger

(UPDATE 11/11/2022)-
Craving more DOA content? You're in luck- fellow Dreamcaster Dirge Of Ram (who also goes by CplDwayneHicks11) has been making edits to my DOA2 Mod which includes new music, new dialogue, etc! Check out his page here for his releases if you want to experience more DOA2 goodness- https://archive.org/details/@cpldwaynehicks11 :)
Last edited by Green Ranger on Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 23 times in total.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: Dead Or Alive 2 Final (RELEASE!)

Post#2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Great work Green Ranger! I am glad to see you are still keeping the dream alive. Looks like alot of progress has been made on this project and can't wait to play it! Thanks!

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Dead Or Alive 2: Final (RELEASE!)

Post#3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 am

This is awesome. :)
Thank You Green Ranger.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Can this game be burned to a cd for playing or is it for sd cards only?

Green Ranger
killer

Post#5 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Wrath of Khan wrote:Can this game be burned to a cd for playing or is it for sd cards only?

Game is a selfbooting CDI image which you can burn to CD in Discjuggler and play in a real Dreamcast (or you can play the CDI image in an emulator, your preference). If GDEMU can play selfbooting CDIs, then it should work too.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:28 pm

As long as the CDI is Mode 2 Form 1 data/data or audio/data, GDEMU should be able to play it. The DC will boot data/data discs with the first session in Mode 1 data, but GDEMU will not.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#7 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello Green Ranger and thanks you for this release! I am looking forward to try it soon.

I suggest to share it at public torrent trackers like demonoid, thepiratebay etc i will help seeding.
Also i will share it at facebook Dreamcast related groups hoping more people will know about this mod.

P.S. any news about The Seven Mansions translation? What is next for you?

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#8 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I take it disc juggler is free software? I'll definitively be burning this to disc.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#9 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:02 pm

VasiliyRS wrote:Hello Green Ranger and thanks you for this release! I am looking forward to try it soon.

I suggest to share it at public torrent trackers like demonoid, thepiratebay etc i will help seeding.
Also i will share it at facebook Dreamcast related groups hoping more people will know about this mod.

P.S. any news about The Seven Mansions translation? What is next for you?

Hello VasiliyRS, sharing this on public torrent trackers sounds like a good idea, I hadn't even considered that. And the Facebook Dreamcast groups sounds good too. I'd love to have as many Dreamcast DOA fans as possible playing this. I'm not sure when I'll get around to providing a torrent but if you're able to before I am, please let me know. I'm also trying to let the good people at The ISo Zone know about the release, but I have yet to receive my email confirmation to activate my account.

As for Seven Mansions, if we're able to figure out how to make the game bypass the VGA check when booting up in a Dreamcast, I'd consider continuing the project. I also have another potential Dreamcast game to translate but this particular game crashes on me when playing in Emulators (NullDC and Dcemul) so I'm not even able to adequately test my progress without it dying on me. Won't be mentioning what this particular title is yet, as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. :lol:

Wrath of Khan wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I take it disc juggler is free software? I'll definitively be burning this to disc.

Yup, you can use the free demo to burn your games. It's what I use all the time :)
Last edited by Green Ranger on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#10 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:23 pm

How to patch a non VGA game to VGA:
Open the 1ST_READ.bin/main binary with a hex editor and search for "JUE" if it finds the correct position there is a 7 number string 5 bytes after it (if not use find next also you might want to use a match case search), change that string to "0799A10"

You will have to bin hack the 1ST_READ/main binary after changing any values to make it self bootable again

Hope this helps, worked for me with Dino Crisis. Don't know if Seven Mansions is one of the few games that won't work even when patched...

Hope your talking about SGGG/Segagaga!!! Works for me with DEMUL so probably not... :(