Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Re: Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Post#161 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Iv'e never succeeded either. Could someone explain the exact settings and process, they use in the burning software, including the disc type and brand etc. And state what burning software etc.

This could then be added to the download links on the host site. - Pretty please- (I wonder if there is certain limitations with certain computer drives that cause such problems?)

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#162 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Perhaps the new image is just too small for our old lasers (39.5mb's)... I bet dummying the image to 700ms would work.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#163 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:18 pm

I never got any image to work not even the dummy image, I'll try 800 mb discs - but yes the new updated volgar builds need a dummy file added too, for those of us with the laser problem.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#164 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 pm

I will admit some of the discs I burnt of this wouldn't load half the time. I had to open and close my DC lid and reset it a few times. I went and tuned the potentiometer and it finally started booting up every time. I must say this was my most problematic Dreamcast I ever had to tune. I don't have a multimeter so I have to blind tune the laser so it will work. It took me 25 times til I found a setting it would read both my backups and retail discs.

I highly implore you folks to look into tuning the laser as I have had to do it a few times over the years on multiple systems that just have issues playing games.

I posted this well detailed tutorial that is concise and easy to follow even if you aren't a PC guy like I am.

http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/dre ... ive-lense/

This should help with most issues, but I do agree that these images should be dummied first before they upload them.

Charlton
Anarki

Post#165 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I will admit some of the discs I burnt of this wouldn't load half the time. I had to open and close my DC lid and reset it a few times. I went and tuned the potentiometer and it finally started booting up every time. I must say this was my most problematic Dreamcast I ever had to tune. I don't have a multimeter so I have to blind tune the laser so it will work. It took me 25 times til I found a setting it would read both my backups and retail discs.

I highly implore you folks to look into tuning the laser as I have had to do it a few times over the years on multiple systems that just have issues playing games.

I posted this well detailed tutorial that is concise and easy to follow even if you aren't a PC guy like I am.

http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/dre ... ive-lense/

This should help with most issues, but I do agree that these images should be dummied first before they upload them.

Cool ill try it! I have had to tune the laser on my DC too. I dont have the measurment tool either. May have to try that again too.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#166 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah if anything it is worth a try. I feel that I should just take the plunge and get a GDEmu. I got a mint 360 with like 8 games I could sell on Ebay to get the device but I kinda like the exclusives on it too much.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#167 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:14 am

The easiest way to burn Dreamcast images is with IMGBurn (using the Discjuggler DLL files / pfctoc.dll in the installation folder of IMGburn)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#168 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 am

For some reason I can't even use those. If you look on TIZ you will notice I wrote up the tutorial how to burn games with IMGBurn, but yeah, DJ doesn't even work for me anymore. Only Alcohol 120%. Everything else burns coasters, nothing will boot if I burn from other programs. I just bought this samsung DVD burner 2 years back, so I know it isn't that. I also noticed it is not only me with this issue, a few other people that I have spoken to also have no success with the older programs but Alcohol seems to do the trick some reason? I just wish I could figure out why it works with that and nothing else?

krssn
Metallic

Post#169 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Tried it on GDEMU yesterday for the first time and I really like it. Good job guys... ^^

EJM
shadow

Post#170 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Here is the latest Volgarr cdi(10-15-2015 fixed version) with the dummy file added.

http://www84.zippyshare.com/v/jMRQfzjs/file.html

Zipped file is ~37.4 Mb, the unzipped cdi is ~771.9 Mb.

Unzip the file and then burn to a 700 Mb CD-r using Disc Juggler, Alcohol 120, Imgburn or any cdi burning software of your choice.

I played it and everything works.
Enjoy!

Please spread this cdi around and post it on different sites. I give my full permission. This cdi with the large dummy file will help those who have trouble booting small games on their dreamcast.