New Member Reporting In!

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Djuggalo
noob

New Member Reporting In!

Post#1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello, everyone!

I was in my local second-hand shop today, and snagged myself a practically mint condition boxed Dreamcast, along with a boxed keyboard, mouse, VMU and rumble pack. If it was truly mint I would have felt bad about opening it, but the machine has obviously been used. It was simply well looked-after. So I put the box into storage and added the Dreamcast to my burgeoning collection of video game consoles.

About me: I'm a moderately serious collector of video games, and machines with which to play them. I never had a Dreamcast growing up, nor have I ever played with one until now, but there are several games that look absolutely awesome. I'm totally new to the scene, and hoping to meet lots of people and eventually contribute to your community.

I have massive respect to you guys for keeping your favourite console alive for so long. I sincerely hope that the Dreamcast scene continues to thrive, and that I can be a part of it along with you all.

Now I'm just biding my time, shopping for some Dreamcast games and figuring out how to get my console online. I don't want to deal with the hassle and expense of dial-up, but nor do I particularly want to shell out over £500 for a broadband adapter. Perhaps I'll end up saving up for a few months, or perhaps I'll strike lucky in a second-hand place or a boot sale. Until then, I'll familiarize myself with the forums.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: New Member Reporting In!

Post#2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:26 pm

1st recommendation: Forget the BBA! All games are playable via this method, BBA is limited to Phantasy Star Online, Quake3 Arena, XDP, and Toy Racer. Q3A is the only game that you'll feel pain if you are playing against BBA or PC players (yes, we Dreamcast users can play against PC players just like PSO - take that Microsoft, Sony & Nintendo consoles)!

2nd recommendation: Unless you own a Raspberry Pi (of some version), I suggest buying a Pi2 for cheap and an 8GB minimum matching flash drive to your version of Pi and a DreamPi modem from TacT (already tested and modified to be self-powered via USB) or purchase a Linux compatible USB Modem (if you do not have one already) and either build on or purchase a LVI for your modem from PCwzrd13.

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide.html
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/downloads.html

3rd recommendation: PBA Tour Bowling 2001 is a recently leaked game that is online-ready. This is amazing because the original DC players that left us have never had the opportunity to play this one (kind of a bonus for all of us fans who stuck it out). Do not buy it, it's available for download.

CURRENT ONLINE GAME LIST:
PSO, Q3A, Toy Racer, & XDP Browser - All BBA & Dial-up ready.
Chu Chu Rocket (CCR), Worms World Party (WWP), Max Pool, PBA Tour, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool (Max Pool), Alien Front Online (AFO - with online voice chat; yes, Dreamcast was first), The Next Tetris, Starlancer, & Planet Ring (also voice chat and first online community). Also Sonic Adventure can go online and download content as well as other download content that can be downloaded via XDP.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs