Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

everynewday84
Nemesis

Re: Dreamcast Live Game Suggestion Thread

Post#141 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
everynewday84 wrote:Resident Evil: Code Veronica's Battle Mode

Hmmm, looks like it would work perfectly for a competition. Only problem is you have to unlock it by completing the game. I don't usually like to have competitions that require you to unlock something but if enough people agree with you then I would consider it. Anyone else want to vote for CV Battle Mode?

Yeah, I thought so too. Could be a ton of fun to get different people competing on this! Yeah, I also thought about having to clear the game in order to play b mode as being a potential problem. Maybe we can get a VMU file uploaded so players could just start with battle mode?

But it's a great game to playthrough :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#142 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 pm

everynewday84 wrote:Maybe we can get a VMU file uploaded so players could just start with battle mode?

Yeah, I thought of that. Only probably is it might scare away some of the less technically inclined people. It's included on the Dream Explorer disc so that would be the easiest way to get it.

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rele ... en&menu=on
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#143 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
everynewday84 wrote:Resident Evil: Code Veronica's Battle Mode

Hmmm, looks like it would work perfectly for a competition. Only problem is you have to unlock it by completing the game. I don't usually like to have competitions that require you to unlock something but if enough people agree with you then I would consider it. Anyone else want to vote for CV Battle Mode?

I'm for it. Regarding the unlocking, I'm sure that pretty much anyone who owns the game has beaten it. I mean, it's CV. Besides, those who haven't and don't want to won't vote for it.

CD AGES wrote:I never said money never pops up in arcade mode, it's just not as prevelant as Adventure mode where you can literally farm for money...

It sure seems pretty prevalent. Especially on the final boss, where gold bars and treasure chests frequently pop up. Even so, they're not so plentiful, on second thought, that they should cause a problem.

CD AGES wrote:Cheap tactics!? I don't see how that can play a role in a scenario where the purpose of competing for a high score is the name of the game.

I was talking about a speed run.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#144 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:41 pm

If that's the case then that concern of using "cheap tactics" is irrelevant. It's no different than using an infinite combo or pressing the advantage in a fighting game to secure a swift victory. If one has mastered such techniques, then there shouldn't be any restriction for an individual to make use of it.

It sure seems pretty prevalent. Especially on the final boss, where gold bars and treasure chests frequently pop up. Even so, they're not so plentiful, on second thought, that they should cause a problem.

Yes and guess what, there is a set limit (dictated by the games difficulty setting if i'm not mistaken) on how many of the Mokujin squad you can beat for currency before the game allows to move forward on the map!

Incorrect, it will cause problems and your statement above has just made me realize it. I'm assuming you are aware on what aggravates the type of currency dropped (Coins, Bag of coins, Gold bars, Treasure chests etc.) in the game. It's dependent on item weaponry used. Item spawning is totally random in this game. What's even worse is that i'm sure not everyone has unlocked every item in the game. The latter is an even bigger issue as the more powerful item weapons yield lager sums of money dropped.

I would love nothing more than to add Power Stone 2 to Dreamcast Live to compete with others here... But it appears rather difficult in finding fair grounds on what the games goal should be for proper Live competition.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#145 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:00 pm

CD AGES wrote:

If that's the case then that concern of using "cheap tactics" is irrelevant. It's no different than using an infinite combo or pressing the advantage in a fighting game to secure a swift victory. If one has mastered such techniques, then there shouldn't be any restriction for an individual to make use of it.

Is that the kind of competition we want though? I'm just worried that in the case of Power Stone, it may not be particularly difficult to master these techniques in the first place. In Power Stone, it might be as simple as backing the AI into a corner on a one-on-one match. That said, it wouldn't be possible in the 4 player FFA. As long as we avoid 2 contestant matches, I don't think it'll happen.

CD AGES wrote:

Incorrect, it will cause problems and your statement above has just made me realize it. I'm assuming you are aware on what aggravates the type of currency dropped (Coins, Bag of coins, Gold bars, Treasure chests etc.) in the game. It's dependent on item weaponry used. Item spawning is totally random in this game. What's even worse is that i'm sure not everyone has unlocked every item in the game. The latter is an even bigger issue as the more powerful item weapons yield lager sums of money dropped.

I didn't know that was how money drops were determined. Perhaps we could make it a requirement to start with a default weapon set (meaning a blank save)?

CD AGES wrote:I would love nothing more than to add Power Stone 2 to Dreamcast Live to compete with others here... But it appears rather difficult in finding fair grounds on what the games goal should be for proper Live competition.

I figured that's why we were discussing it. To come to a conclusion as to what a fair competition would consist of. I'm not angry and I'm not even asserting myself. I'm closer to looking for details for my own understanding. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. Just trying to come to a conclusion.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#146 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Is that the kind of competition we want though? I'm just worried that in the case of Power Stone, it may not be particularly difficult to master these techniques in the first place. In Power Stone, it might be as simple as backing the AI into a corner on a one-on-one match. That said, it wouldn't be possible in the 4 player FFA. As long as we avoid 2 contestant matches, I don't think it'll happen.

The real questions is, are these the restrictions this potential competition should enforce? A game like Power Stone 2 (or any fighting game for that matter) can be played in a variety of methods/skill types/techniques and still provide lucrative results especially in respects to a speed run in this game.
The example you've used here is flawed. Are you aware to the fact that being cornered in Power Stone 2 is far and away the most advantageous position to be in (Yeah Big shocker i know! as almost every other game in the genre equals to bad news :lol: ). Your arsenal of attacks options expands and you almost always benefit from a damage cap limit inflicted from Power Drive and Power Fusion attacks when in the corner. So as you can see, there is little benefit from cornering the AI especially if the cause is to inflict as much damage as possible as quickly as possible.
Yes. If this competition is to take place, It has to be in 4 player default battle as Arcade mode encourages.

I didn't know that was how money drops were determined. Perhaps we could make it a requirement to start with a default weapon set (meaning a blank save)?

Yes. Furthermore I believe the game provides a useful option to disable all item weapons except for standard default items. This option can be accessed via the games "Extra Options" settings (not standard "Options").

I figured that's why we were discussing it. To come to a conclusion as to what a fair competition would consist of. I'm not angry and I'm not even asserting myself. I'm closer to looking for details for my own understanding. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. Just trying to come to a conclusion.

Well neither am I even though it may come off to the contrary :D I just love PS2! And i want others here also to enjoy the game as well through the exploits of this competition as oppose to getting frustrated during the experience due to details that aren't ironed out with much consideration. I know your not trying to prove me wrong. I'm just calling out the game like it is ;)

ChrisHa2049
photon blast

Post#147 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Count me in favor of CV Battle Mode as well. Even I have it unlocked... :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#148 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 pm

ChrisHa2049 wrote:Count me in favor of CV Battle Mode as well. Even I have it unlocked... :)

Alrighty then! We have three votes for CV so I will add it to the polls on the next refresh. Power Stone 2 will likely follow.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#149 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Damn! I gotta do a quick run through of CV if i'm to join you guys on this competition. I'm happy to hear about PS2 being added to the ranks. Hopefully a concrete objective to the competition can be found before then.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#150 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 am

Well, I spent an a good portion of the day playing Code Veronica (after completing it once more I'm further convinced that this is the greatest in the series or one of the) in an effort to unlock battle mode! I unlocked it :D

NOTE: as a side note, be advised that that to play as Steve in Battle mode, he must be unlocked thru an item that is found in the actual single player campaign.