Competition #24 - Power Stone 2 (Ended)

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Live Competition #24 - Power Stone 2

Post#51 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 am

Raen wrote:Well, it has ended for me. Does the site consider time zones?
If so, it shouldn't, so the competition ends at the exact same time for everyone.

Hmmm, it's possible. I didn't make the timer; I just added it to the site. You're the first person that's actually mentioned that possibility. I'll have to see if I can find another timer that doesn't consider time zones.

Edit: I wasn't able to find a timer that didn't account for time zones so I just had to remove it and replace it with a static date. Oh well.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#52 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm

And that's it folks! It was an intense fight but CD took home the win in the end!

Here are the final rankings:

1. CD AGES - 706,403

2. devilhunter - 563,205

3. Raen - 288,505

4. pcwzrd13 136,408

5. Alec1382 - 106,401

Be sure to vote for the next competition on the site polls. The votes for the next competition are currently at a tie between 18 Wheeler and Mortal Kombat Gold.
PSO Characters:

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#53 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Nice, just found out that devilhunter is portuguese too (K_I_R_E_E_K also appears to be), so Portugal takes 2 out of the 3 first places :P

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#54 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Raen wrote:Nice, just found out that devilhunter is portuguese too (K_I_R_E_E_K also appears to be), so Portugal takes 2 out of the 3 first places :P

I'm 1/4 Portuguese. :D
PSO Characters:

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#55 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 pm

but Gourmand instead of attacking Dr. Erode insisted in attacking me with his Power attacks, so I died - bastard!
Sometimes you gotta have luck with your companions...

I guess that with an arcade stick and all items unlocked you can get better scores, as special items that do more damage release more coins from enemies (flame rod is a good example).

If it's any consolation, I beat my AI partners to near death during both Boss Battles and Stage Selection segments for additional currency :lol:

Not true! playing the game under ACTUAL arcade stick configurations (Attack, Jump and Action Button), makes the game WAY more technical and ALOT more execution heavy than simply using a DC controller. But there is some truth into you second assumption. Although special weapons CAN make a sizable portion to an impressive score, for me personally, it only accounts for half! Total reliance on increasing ones score in such a manner is leaving too much of your outcome to chance. Understanding the logistics of how money drops work, you own character's attributes and most importantly, proper stage selection and the unique characteristics each area in a level provides is key.

Congratulations CD, that is really impressive! I believe with Wang-Tang it would be difficult to get a higher score than that and it would reaquire luck in terms of items

Thank you DH! :D I seriously wouldn't have achieved it without your consent to extend the competition and your own awesome score which I had to surpass.
The fact that you are aware of that fact shows me you truly have a good understanding about the game. Wang Tang is truly a fun character to play, but he ain't what he used to be in the first game. My hat goes off to you for your character loyalty (that is, if Tang was also your point character in the first game).

Thanks for everyone who participated! it was fun playing as a group, a game i consider one of the crown jewels in the Dreamcast library.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

devilhunter
dark night

Post#56 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Raen wrote:Nice, just found out that devilhunter is portuguese too.

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'm 1/4 Portuguese.

Damn!! We're like a plague! :lol:

CD AGES wrote:Thank you DH! :D I seriously wouldn't have achieved it without your consent to extend the competition and your own awesome score which I had to surpass.
The fact that you are aware of that fact shows me you truly have a good understanding about the game. Wang Tang is truly a fun character to play, but he ain't what he used to be in the first game. My hat goes off to you for your character loyalty (that is, if Tang was also your point character in the first game).

You're absolutely right CD, i love Wang-Tang's gameplay, and it's true that he's not the same he used to be, still i wanted to get him as far as possible =P

This was one of the best competitions so far! (The game helped a lot) I never played either 18 Wheeler or MK Gold, it will be interesting.
It's Thinking...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#57 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:04 pm

devilhunter wrote:This was one of the best competitions so far! (The game helped a lot) I never played either 18 Wheeler or MK Gold, it will be interesting.

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

18 Wheeler is one of my favorite Dreamcast games! I never knew driving a truck could be that much fun! It's only downfall is that it's too short (makes it good for a competition though). I'm terrible at MK Gold (and pretty much any other fighting game for that matter!) so it won't take much to beat me! :lol:
PSO Characters:

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#58 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

CD AGES wrote:If it's any consolation, I beat my AI partners to near death during both Boss Battles and Stage Selection segments for additional currency :lol:

How do you do that?
In Arcade mode during the Stage Selection segments I can only beat the opponents for Power Stones, and you don't transit there with any items to beat them for coins.
Only in Adventure mode you have a chance of grabbing coins during the Stage Selection segments, but even those come out of the chest.

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'm 1/4 Portuguese. :D

So you have a portuguese grandparent? Interesting :)

I also never played 18 Wheeler or MK Gold - I voted for Wacky Races, which I never played also, but remember the game from when it came out.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#59 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Raen wrote:So you have a portuguese grandparent? Interesting :)

Interesting indeed. :lol:

Raen wrote:I voted for Wacky Races, which I never played also, but remember the game from when it came out.

Wacky Races is an excellent kart racer! It's got some really good cell shaded graphics as well.
PSO Characters:

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#60 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm

How do you do that? In Arcade mode during the Stage Selection segments I can only beat the opponents for Power Stones, and you don't transit there with any items to beat them for coins. Only in Adventure mode you have a chance of grabbing coins during the Stage Selection segments, but even those come out of the chest.

Yup. There are only two ways to spawn money in the game (in Arcade mode). Attaking using weapons, or attacking using throwable objects that are available on certain levels (I'm talking about crates, boxes etc). In the Castle Stage, the final room there are some boxes that can be used during the stage selection segments. If your fast enough you can hit them with up to 4 of the available boxes to squeeze out a few more coins. Finally, after defeating the 1st boss, there are some cactuses that can be thrown at your partner for a few more coins as well.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news