Wheres the Atari Love??

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Poll: Have you ever own an Atari Jaguar or Lynx or other?

Owned Jaguar
17%
Owned Lynx
4%
Both
39%
niether
30%
who what where when?
9%
Total votes: 23

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Re: Wheres the Atari Love??

Post#21 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:lol, nice! So you might be able to help me... I DISTINCTLY remember playing a game where you jump from diving boards or platforms, on either side of the screen, and you have to bounce off of something, either a trampoline or seesaw, and that was basically it, very blocky and probably only two colours lol, much like pong only a little more complex, any idea what that was?

Believe you are describing Circus Atari.

Jaguar is the only Atari game system I don't yet own. Spent absolute ages playing the Atari 2600. Back in the early 90's you could hardly go anywhere without finding someone selling 2600 carts dirt cheap, especially used. So I actually ended up playing it more than my NES and Genesis simply because I'd bought up such a wonderfully diverse library of games for it... whereas I only had two games for my Genesis during the first couple years of ownership, and four or five NES carts.

Needless to say I do have love for classic Atari as well as good memories of my first Atari Lynx. Back in 1999 I actually found an original model Lynx thrown away with a California Games cart in it. Took some effort to clean the corrosion from one of the battery terminals, but it worked great afterwards. Ended up selling it the following year as I'd played the one game to death and was annoyed at the two to three hour battery life it was getting. Bough a nice revised model Lynx about five years back and have a few games for it now. Pleased to say its battery life is slightly better.

Atari 5200 is absolutely incredible. It honestly is a better system than the 7800. 7800 May have had better specs, but I've never found a game that showed the system to be superior to the 5200. Downside to the 5200 though is that literally all of them now have bad or failing capacitors on them that need to be replaced or else the system will just cut off on you after a few short minutes of play. Thankfully it's early 80's solid state construction, so not impossible to work on, just annoying it has to be done at all in light of how well all of Atari's other consoles have held up over the decades.

P.s. I have a good number of the official Atari Magazines.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:20 pm

cool man, nice to hear from another Atari nut, although your knowledge of the older systems is slightly wasted on me I'm sorry to say but it definitely makes for awesome reading! I love the Lynx, and what I did to make it a million times better was go on ebay and buy a power supply! I now have about 16 games for it including Slime World, Rygar, Hydra and a few other classics and the system is probably the best hand held ever for me, much better games than the game gear. I especially love Xybots and Electrocop, they are the balls.

Are you on Atari Age at all? I'm on there, not a bad little place and its really helped me with my Jaguar collection, I now have 35+ games including some new post release stuff and demos of unfinished titles. Battle Morph is still my favourite title though by far, its just awesome.

Circus Atari huh>? i'll have to look that up and see if its the one I mean.

I'll be hopefully uploading some more jaguar videos soon so stay tuned to my youtube, subscribe if you like and if you have a channel I'll definitely subscribe to yours as well. cheers
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm

New video:

Battle Morph for Atari Jaguar!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxs89mZWig[/youtube]
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I've always wanted an atari lynx 1. I think I'll get one later this year.

I owned a jag for awhile, with Kasumi Ninja and Val D'Isere. I didn't enjoy it at all. I found the original controller I had to be unresponsive and imprecise (on the dpad), and the RF box it came with output poor quality video/sound. I wound up selling it last year, though now I wish I kept it just to have it as an oddity in my collection.

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Atari Lynx Alpine Games final release

Post#25 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm

If there is enough demand, there will be a final edition of Duranik's masterpiece Alpine Games for the Atari Lynx.

http://youtu.be/RZbmrZl_RhA

If you like what you see, learn more here:
http://duranik.com/index.html

PSO
dark night

Post#26 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Very nice collection, ulttapro! Thanks for sharing. The forum misses you!

I've always wanted an Atari jaguar. Never had one; never played one; I've never even seen one. I will buy one someday soon. I'd like to play the shit outta doom on this console!

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#27 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 am

I saw AVGN's review of the Jag. Of course, he didn't like it. But to me, there are some hidden gems on that console. Cybermorph looks like a game I'd like to see Quagmire play. In fact, somebody make a cutaway gag with Quagmire playing Cybermorph. Do it. DO IT NOW.

One of my friends at school told me that she had an old Atari and an old TV at her grandmother's. I wasn't really expecting it, but it's cool. :)
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#28 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:59 pm

I think I may have silently and somewhat unofficially taken over as the forum's resident atari nut. Since my post in this topic around 2014, I've bought a jaguar, jag cd, 10 or so games, 2 atari lynxes and about 14 games for atari lynx, and now I'm on the waiting list for Alpine Games, an indie game for lynx by Duranik, the makers of sturmwind.

I wouldn't say the games for jaguar are as much fun as my dreamcast games, and I don't play them as much, but I really do get a kick out of owning one. If you grew up during the era, or get enjoyment out of playing rare/unknown games, there's just something unusual and intrinsically interesting about the jaguar.

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#29 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:23 pm

I thought I'd get a kick out of owning a Jaguar too, but having bought one, and it being some over-sized English made counterfit that only has a steering wheel-type controller I'm a bit disappointed. Not to mention my parents complain all the time about how much of the yard is occupies.

Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

KGRAMR
undertow

Post#30 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I have some really cool stuff to share with the Jaguar Fans :D i'll post it later.
Now You're Playing with Power
Do The Math
Genesis Does What Nintendon't