Anyone prefer handheld gaming over consoles/PC?

Talk about Handheld gaming devices and Mobile gaming here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

drunkn ghost
fire

Anyone prefer handheld gaming over consoles/PC?

Post#1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 am

I am not sure why this happened but I am starting to prefer handheld gaming over consoles. I have always loved both but considered myself more of a console gamer. I have never been a PC gamer just because I was always too poor to have a decent computer setup (probably because I spent all my money on consoles and handhelds :lol: )

Lately whenever I have free time to play I find myself grabbing a Game Boy over a controller. Don't get me wrong I still play my share of consoles, probably too much actually. I am normally pretty busy but I don't watch T.V. or movies so if I do have some time to relax I am blasting some music and playing video games.

I still love seeing all the new games I just don't really feel like playing them. The last few console games I have gotten I have hardly even played. I normally just watch my roommate play them while I play something else. The big exception would be the new Earth Defense Force (and DefJam Rapstar of course). Honestly I don't think it's anything special but I can't quit playing for some reason.

I don't think there was really any point to this post other then to declare my love for handhelds. I also wanted a excuse to post up a pic of my collection. This pic isn't even all of my systems. I keep a GBA SP at one job, a DS Lite at my other job and a Game Boy Micro in the glove box of both of my cars just in case of a emergency. :oops:

Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Anyone prefer handheld gaming over consoles/PC?

Post#2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm

It's quite simple really :) I like my consoles when I'm at home and my handhelds when I'm out and about. That's a nice collection you've got there, I want a Gameboy Micro myself one day(I'm sick of my magnifier/front light attachment for my GBA). At the moment my Neo Geo Colour is my most prized possesion, playing Densha De Go and Sonic on the train every morning.

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#3 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I love my Neo Geo Pocket Color as well. I just finished Biomotor Unitron for probably the fourth or fifth time. All the puzzle and fighting games are awesome too. There is actually one NGPC missing from that picture but the two in the picture have front light mods. 8-)

You are dedicated if you still play the original GBA. I used to love them but I won't even hardly use it anymore. I only have one to use for Pac Man VS when we link it to the gamecube for 4 player Pac Man. I use the original GBA is because it's hard to see so it makes it harder for whoever is playing as Pac Man.

You should pick up a back lite model GBA SP. I can not even put into words how much better it is then the original GBA.They are getting harder to find though. If you do look into getting a GBA SP make sure it is a AGS-101 model. That is the 2nd version back lite model.

The 1st version GBA SP has a front lite which is a improvement over the original GBA is model AGS-001 but like I said the back lite model is a whole new world of awesomeness. Surprisingly a lot of people don't realize there was two different models of the GBA SP.

If you ever want a Micro I might sell one. I have way too many of them just because if I see a used one in good condition I buy it. They never really got the love they deserved so I take them all in. I am like a homeless shelter for unloved Micro's. :lol:

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

So is the Micro backlit or not ? I thought it was. And no, I didn't realise there were two versions of the SP, I think I try and pick up one of the later ones. Thanks for letting me know about that ! I will miss the thumbstick adaptor on my GBA though :(

I want to get hold of a couple of Rpgs for the NGPC. I like the look of Beast Buster and also considered Evolution(I think it's on the system, not sure). Are there any more worth hunting down ?

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#5 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm

The Micro is backlit and has 4 different brightness settings compared to the model 2 GBA SP which only has 2 settings. A lot of people don't know about the brightness settings on the Micro because it doesn't have its own button. You just hold down the left shoulder and use the volume button to adjust the brightness.

I think the Micro actually has the nicest looking screen out of all of them but I can understand why some people just don't like it because of the size. Luckily I don't have too big of hands so it's perfect for me. I would bet money that once you played a game on backlit screen and seen how amazing it looks you would not even remember your thumbstick adapter. I honestly prefer playing advance games on my backlit GBA SP over my DS Lite.

Here is way too long of a video showing the difference. That's not me, it's just a video I found. All you need to watch is 1:30 - 3:30 and you will understand all the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STShwEzaZT4

There is a version of Evolution for the NGPC (which I still need for my collection) but as far as I know it was not released in the U.S. I have been trying to hunt down a complete PAL version but it's kind of hard to come by for a reasonable price. Beast Buster seemed pretty fun as well but I have not played very far into it yet. When I started it I did not have my front lite mods done so I decided to wait to play it and I just haven't made it back to it yet. It actually uses a lot of dark colors and the game is kind of hard to see unless you're in very good lighting conditions.

As far as RPG's go I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head that are in English.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 am

There's Faselei of course. But the english version is pretty expensive, same goes for Evolution.

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:06 am

I was going to mention Faselei but I always thought it was more of a RTS. I have never played it though since it is extremely expensive. The 2 Dive Alert's are also RPG's I guess but I would never recommend them to anyone.

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#8 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:31 am

Yeah not going to lie being in the military i have switched from consoles to mostly handhelds my roomate even got a xbox 360 and a 42inch tv and i only use it to watch show to my opinion right now the 3ds is kicking some ass. but i still like my psp just lending it to my poor asain body. trying to get my hands on a phantasy star for the 3ds
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#9 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:44 am

I've never been a handheld fan but the Xperia Play changed all of that for me. I'm extremely protective of my electronics so the idea of having a phone in one pocket and a gameboy in the other could make my head explode. Having near perfect emulation of everything up to ps1 really kicks ass (I remember getting excited at NES emulation on my GBA :D ) and there are some incredible games made for or ported to Android, my favorite right now being Spectral Souls, an improved port of an incredible PSP JSRPG. I'm also playing through Super Monkey Ball 2 and FF3, the NDS remake. Most of all its just nice to know I can game at any time; I always have my phone so I always have my games and there's no added hassle.

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#10 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:53 pm

hmm i been playing my 3ds a lot lately
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482