Alien Front Online Server Update: Now Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BLueSS
dark night

Re: Alien Front Online Server Update: Now Online

Post#361 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Xiden wrote:they are hardcoded ip's in the dreampi code.

My research last night found that to not be a guarantee. And why would you want that hard-coded to the 192.168.1.x subnet? Many home routers (Apple for example) use the 10.x private IP range for connectivity and having the PPP from the dreampi to the DC hardcoded for the 192.168.1 would not work well...

You can easily obtain your DC IP via Connecting to Quake 3 Arena and it will tell you your ip after its "connected'"

That's not easy if you don't have Q3.

Dreampi's IP is listed near the end when you boot up the pi :)

Yes, but the dreampi IP is the WRONG ip.

How can you easily find the PPP IP assigned to the DC from the PI? (Again, without owning Q3)

Xiden
Developer

Post#362 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

BLueSS wrote:
Xiden wrote:they are hardcoded ip's in the dreampi code.

My research last night found that to not be a guarantee. And why would you want that hard-coded to the 192.168.1.x subnet? Many home routers (Apple for example) use the 10.x private IP range for connectivity and having the PPP from the dreampi to the DC hardcoded for the 192.168.1 would not work well...

You can easily obtain your DC IP via Connecting to Quake 3 Arena and it will tell you your ip after its "connected'"

That's not easy if you don't have Q3.

Dreampi's IP is listed near the end when you boot up the pi :)

Yes, but the dreampi IP is the WRONG ip.

How can you easily find the PPP IP assigned to the DC from the PI? (Again, without owning Q3)

Your router should also tell you the IP. My router for example shows the Dreampi IP and details there's a device tunneling through it and show's that IP's address (The dreamcasts).

I mean you could just alter the IP's in code to whatever you wanted, thats just the ones kazade chose.

Also Q3A can be burned for free online :P

Xiden
Developer

Post#363 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm

99% of the time for people it will be 192.168.1.98 or 192.168.0.98 for Dreamcast IP Addresses

BLueSS
dark night

Post#364 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Xiden wrote:My router for example shows the Dreampi IP and details there's a device tunneling through it and show's that IP's address (The dreamcasts).

Are you running a consumer level router with stock firmware, getting that tunneling information?
Now that I know to look for that, I do see the .98 IP in my router logs.

My stock firmware shows my dreampi's IP address when the DC is not dialed-up (an IP in my dhcp range that is NOT the .98 address), but after dialing up into a game the "connected devices" in the crappy netgear stock firmware switches to the .98 address. Very interesting!

Sending you a PM as I have connectivity issues with Q3.

Thanks everyone for helping figure this out. Still, it's a bit unclear on the main page which IP address you need to use for the port forwarding. :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#365 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

BLueSS wrote:
Xiden wrote:My router for example shows the Dreampi IP and details there's a device tunneling through it and show's that IP's address (The dreamcasts).

Are you running a consumer level router with stock firmware, getting that tunneling information?
Now that I know to look for that, I do see the .98 IP in my router logs.

My stock firmware shows my dreampi's IP address when the DC is not dialed-up (an IP in my dhcp range that is NOT the .98 address), but after dialing up into a game the "connected devices" in the crappy netgear stock firmware switches to the .98 address. Very interesting!

Sending you a PM as I have connectivity issues with Q3.

Thanks everyone for helping figure this out. Still, it's a bit unclear on the main page which IP address you need to use for the port forwarding. :)

Yep stock ASUS firmware

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#366 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

i told you so...

superman200x
undertow

Post#367 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 am

BLueSS wrote:
superman200x wrote:Yessssssssssss! I figured it out. I mad it work took me 3 mouths but I made it work. who is down to play today or any another day my user name is superman200x

What did you need to do to get it working? I still lose my connection within the first 10-15 seconds any time I try to connect to a server or create my own.

This happens even with my DC in the DMZ on my router. Super frustrating as it was game #1 I wanted to get working. :(

Any way to check the server logs to see if something funny is going on?

Will Its a long story but here it goes I have spectrum and they told me i didn't have wifi in my modem on. So i got a router to get wifi. So the problem is that because I had wifi on my modem it was not going throw. So it was not going through. So I found out that I had wifi on my modem on my spectrum modem. So if you have a router and have a modem you might have wifi on your modem so check if you have wifi on your modem. That could be your problem. hope that helps and makes senses.

NecroRevolver
noob

Post#368 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:48 pm

I am having that same issue right now, in 2018, does anybody knows how to fix it?

RobisMarshall
minority

Post#369 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes afo always gives me connection error problems

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#370 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 pm

to rule out wifi issues.. use a cable..

usually its port forwarding or DMZ causing the issue but not always...