First timer getting online here, stuck on PSO connecting

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Hyze
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online

First timer getting online here, stuck on PSO connecting

Post by Hyze »

Hi guys, first post here.

First question. Am I gonna lose any of my character progress thru trying to play online? It says you have to play the same character on the same Dreamcast, but my FOmarl on PSO V2 was started on one Dreamcast and that one died, so I bought another and played it on that one. I did register both SNAKs tho.

I've got three characters with a decent amount of time on them just from playing the OG disc.

My second Dreamcast I installed a GD-EMU in it, and am playing on Aleron Ives V2.

I'm currently at the part of trying to connect online to play on PSO V2.

So the problem: I set up my settings on Quake 3, it connects just fine to see servers. Cool. I reboot the Dreamcast, load up PSO. I go to my FOmarl, hit OK, ONLINE PLAY, hit yes to connect to network, press a to enter, and I get to the "Please Register Serial Number" page.

I enter the SNAK that came with my copy of PSO V2, but it just freezes for a second and does the sound that happens when you can't feed a mag but try to anyway by pressing A on feed, and erased what I typed.

Any help?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Re: First timer getting online here, stuck on PSO connecting

Post by pcwzrd13 »

It's rejecting the serial and key because it doesn't match the ones that are already saved to that Dreamcast. You need to first clear the Dreamcast's internal memory and then you can enter the new serial and key. You can erase the internal memory with the Flash Memory Eraser tool. Just keep in mind that this will also erase ISP settings so you'll need to enter these again.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Hyze
noob

Post by Hyze »

Will that flash eraser be okay with my GD-EMU?

My character saves will be okay? I've got 200 hours on some of them haha

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Hyze wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:30 am Will that flash eraser be okay with my GD-EMU?

My character saves will be okay? I've got 200 hours on some of them haha
Yes and yes. It only erases your Dreamcast's internal memory. Your characters are saved to the VMU. As long as the serial and key you enter afterwards are the ones that you made the characters with, you'll be able to load them.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Hyze
noob

Post by Hyze »

So now I'm getting to connecting, it goes thru the process of dialing and dialing. Then it takes a minute to load with the green, blue, red, and yellow buttons but says "fail to connect. Server maybe going under maintenance

Update* Looks like we are set! Haven't seen the online lobbies in at least 20 years, what a trip. Thank you for the help!