Sega Genesis 32X help!

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Egregore
core

Sega Genesis 32X help!

Post by Egregore »

I have a 32X (NTSC-U VA0) that makes a really annoying high pitched noise when powered on, the noise comes from the unit itself and also from the speakers. I took it apart to try and figure out what was causing the problem and haven't had much luck. It seems to get much quieter when I remove the metal shielding but even then it is still loud coming out from the speakers. From information I've gathered from the fellows over at the SEGA-16 forums I'm pretty sure it has to do with the power inductor (the metal coil thing on the right side of the board) but am not positive.

Anybody know how to fix this? :oops:

Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Re: Sega Genesis 32X help!

Post by Macabre »

There might be a contaminant in/on one of the pathways for the audio output jack on the back of the 32x. Iirc the 32x does do some audio processing, but most of that is in the main system.

It has to be something with or related to the audio as there are no moving parts in the system. Have you tried playing any games and seeing how it effects the audio from the game?
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Egregore
core

Post by Egregore »

The sounds from the games themselves are not effected, and seem to be working fine. The high pitched noise is heard 'on top of' the regular sounds from the game.

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Will return when I return and if not then I didn't.

Post by game_player_s »

Possibilities:

1. Component failing. Capacitors are often known to eminate a high pitched shrill noise when failing.

2. AC adaptor isn't working properly and is overvolting and/or over amping. This can cause the inductor coil(s) to resonante beyond their rated frequency.

3. What Macabre said. Blow it out with an air compressor or one of those cans of compressed inhert gas specifically for use on electronics.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/