Max Steel: Covert Missions

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Max Steel, is it Xtreme to the Max?

1: Burn it, burn it in FIRE
No votes
2: Just no, get rid of it
No votes
3: It's really bad
No votes
4: It's just bad
33%
5: Meh
33%
6: It's ok, I guess
No votes
7: Good but not great
33%
8: Great!
No votes
9: It's a great bit of 90s cheese!
No votes
10: IT'S TOTALLY TUBULAR MAN
No votes

Total votes: 3

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Max Steel: Covert Missions

Post by lastcallgames »

(Video review to come soon)

Max Steel is not good. It looks alright, for a game from 2001, after the Dreamcast was unfortunately discontinued. Luckily the game is based off of action figures, so the fact that the cutscenes look like dolls is totally acceptable.

The sound is, eh, there? The music is about as generic as it could possibly be, and the sound effects work, kinda? I mean, I literally had to replay some of my video in order to remember the music, which speaks to its flippantly generic nature.

The only mode available is the story, which, given that I don’t know the turn of the millenium Max Steel canon very well, is kinda pointless. Going from what I learned in the intro movie, apparently a kid was exposed to something (I’ll guess nanobots), and it turned him into a superhero, who now goes around doing super spy things.

As I’ve said before, gameplay can and does make or break a game, and, well...this game is broken. Tank controls, I didn’t miss you at all, and you didn’t have to come back. The tank movement isn’t helped at all by the confusing button layout. Each of the Dreamcast’s four face buttons is used, but for something abnormal. A punches or uses a weapon, B kicks, X interacts with the environment (mainly pressing buttons), and Y jumps and climbs, if he feels like it. Oh, and you can’t climb up if you have a weapon equipped. So if you have your laser pistol out to kill the bad guys, you can’t climb up to get a health pack. Speaking of the laser pistol, it has a little lock on so you don’t need to use “sniper mode” for it. But, it only hits targets that are at about chest level with it. So people shooting you from above, or goo stuff on the ground requires you to use the cumbersome mode.

Oh, one other thing that the X button does is move boxes, one square at a time. The game is pretty much an invisible grid, and in order to move boxes to and fro, you need to press X each boxlength.

Of course, the thing about the tank controls is that they make precise platforming difficult.

The weapons other than the pistol are almost useless, the grenade kills you more often than the enemies, and I have no idea what any of the other things are. I’d guess they’re accessories that Mattel includes with various Max Steel figures.

You know, given that this game, and a tv show, were made to sell toys, the profit margins on those must be massive.

Anyway, the game is just plain bad. The enemies are repetitive, the stages long and monotonous, the sound forgettable, the controls terrible, just about everything you don’t want in a game. Even the graphics, which were a big selling point, have aged terribly, so they don’t really look good anymore.

I give Max Steel a 4 out of 10.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: Max Steel Review

Post by lastcallgames »

Video Review is up, watch what I wrote!

Jenkins
MicroMidget
Dreamcast Games you play Online: every still remaining

Post by Jenkins »

"This video is private."

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

Yeah, the video is in copyright purgatory atm.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

Jenkins wrote:"This video is private."
Ok, the video should work now.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

I totally forgot to mention if anyone could guess the next game I'm reviewing, based on the end of this video.