Retro VGS Indiegogo Campaign.

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Retro VGS Indiegogo Campaign.

Post#1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:44 pm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retr ... 252#/story

Some here might have heard of this. It's a new retro style, cartidge based console and it re-uses the Atari Jaguar housing.

I'm still undecided if I want one or not; I may go for it later in the campaign.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Retro VGS Indiegogo Campaign.

Post#2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:19 am

The concept sounds good on paper, but in reality it would flop because nobody wants another N64. That said I have little to no interest in backing the campaign.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#3 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:12 pm

It may indeed flop but I could see an indie scene growing up around it if enough units make it out into the wild. The fpga aspect might excite techie coder types?

shinerbock
fire

Post#4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 am

I admit that I'm pretty curious about it, especially after seeing some DC post-mortem games may be released for it (Gunlord, Last Hope, Pier Solar). No way I'm gonna back it though, and if I had to guess I'd say it won't be successful. But hey, I wish them all kinds of success regardless.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Adam Koralik had a good video about this.

Cliff notes version:

It probably won't work because even for the niche market of people who clamor for physical releases of indie games on retro platforms... there's already the Neo Geo AES and the Dreamcast.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#6 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:30 pm

The indiegogo campaign was cancelled due to it going nowhere.
Too much confusion about what the retro vgs actally was and no clear specifications for the hardware.
Some verbal tussles with a former team member did not help either.

In the end they took the general consensus which was to rethink their strategy, cancel the campaign,
reconfigure the retro vgs and stated objectives.
The team may change somewhat and they will instead first build a working prototype and then presumably do a kickstarter campaign.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#7 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:33 am

I mean, there's a lot of reasons to have been concerned. The reason they went with Indiegogo and not Kickstarter is that they didn't have a working prototype yet. While the idea has great elements like the FGPA to allow it to play a whole litany of systems with separate adapters (my guess is that the adapter would also have the circuitry to tell the system to change to whichever mode), there were just so many question marks involved in the project to really feel positive enough to fork over like $300 for it.

I mean, if you want something to play the old games, either use old hardware (and most of them are freaking tanks and don't break), or something like a Retron 5 (which is half the price) and a PC for the new indie games.

I get a lot of the sentiment behind the system, people don't like that new games need to get massive patches when they launch or they're a buggy mess, and old games have a great nostalgia to them, but yeah, the Retro VGS had serious issues. Also the controller for it is a freaking Wii/Wii U/Android thing that is apparently atrocious.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#8 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:17 pm

lastcallgames wrote:I mean, there's a lot of reasons to have been concerned. The reason they went with Indiegogo and not Kickstarter is that they didn't have a working prototype yet. While the idea has great elements like the FGPA to allow it to play a whole litany of systems with separate adapters (my guess is that the adapter would also have the circuitry to tell the system to change to whichever mode), there were just so many question marks involved in the project to really feel positive enough to fork over like $300 for it.

I mean, if you want something to play the old games, either use old hardware (and most of them are freaking tanks and don't break), or something like a Retron 5 (which is half the price) and a PC for the new indie games.

I get a lot of the sentiment behind the system, people don't like that new games need to get massive patches when they launch or they're a buggy mess, and old games have a great nostalgia to them, but yeah, the Retro VGS had serious issues. Also the controller for it is a freaking Wii/Wii U/Android thing that is apparently atrocious.

Yeah the controller might not be great, perhaps they will change that. Reassessing the entire system may be a blessing in disguise, they may be able to offer us something that we want- if they look openly at the mistakes they made and take feedback on-board - perhaps they should ask fans to provide some input too - they just might succeed. Still the dc is my indie platform of choice.