DreamPi 1.1 Released - with Dreamcast Now!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: DreamPi 1.1 Released - with Dreamcast Now!

Post#31 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:01 am

I would certainly buy a link cable and coders cable. Did he mention if they'd be DC-serial to USB? I think some of the coders cable documents have it setup for standard serial or SCSI connectors, both of which are fairly uncommon on today's PC motherboards and somewhat of a hassle to find adapters for
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#32 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 am

I used to own a link cable. Its truly a unique dc expierence playing virtual on linked with twinsticks. I sold mine as it doesnt make sense to own these days anymore and my local arcade has virtual on complete with a VMU port! I need to make a save file on the JP gme to use in arcades :3

If we can get readily availabe cables id hope we can see some homebrew supporting it.

Bluecrab, if youre reading this does KOS support the link cable?

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

kazade
Developer

Post#33 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 am

@dan1234 yeah the coders "cable" will be a DC to micro USB adapter. I've started the schematic, but I'm also waiting on the line voltage adapters to arrive and I don't want to do too many things at once :)

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#34 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Thank you kazade! You are truly a wizard! This is a huge leap forward for the community! I Just got my raspberry pi model A up and running with PSO.

I can confirm it works without a line voltage inducer with a US model A modem. I Haven't tried any other games though.

A few questions and comments:

What's the default password to log in to your raspberry pi when you change your name at dreamcast now? I know the default password for the default name pi is raspberry but no where did it ask me to make a password for my new name drez01.

I also noticed that symbols like -drez01- would not work to log in to the pi. It would just ask to log in again after a few seconds without prompting for a password.

Dreamcast now's website would not detect my pi until I connected a modem to it. That caused some confusion.

On the initial default setup of dreamcast now it showed what game I was playing (pso), but once I changed my name it went away and now does not show any games or if I am in game or not. Even if I change my name back to Unnamed(xxxxx) it does not show I have played pso anymore. Even if I am in game or reconnect.

What is the Hayes command that generates sound for the dreamcast to think there is a dial tone? Also to pick up without ringing? This could also be used in Netopia's modem settings to avoid a telephone line simulator in that setup as well (with a US model A modem).
Last edited by -drez01- on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#35 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:36 pm

-drez01- wrote:Just got my raspberry pi model A up and running with PSO. I can confirm it works without a line voltage inducer with a US model A modem.

I don't think it does as I've tested this myself. I'm thinking maybe the USB modem you're using is providing the voltage? What type of USB modem are you using?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#36 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Oh I see. I guess you are right. It is an external serial modem that requires a power cable. I am using it with a serial to usb adapter for now until my new smaller usb modem arrives. I just might keep this setup as is because it is still easier than using a line voltage inducer and smaller than a telephone line simulator.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#37 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

If i'm not mistaken, the login should be the same as the Dream-pi defaults to. I been leaning ho to run Linux lately, but I would suspect different users had different login credentials. Since Dream-pi is based around the Debian distro, it should be the same as that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm considered a newbie at this.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

kazade
Developer

Post#38 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:57 pm

@-drez01- OK so the username you enter on the Dreamcast now configuration is simply for identification on the service, in fact your Dreampi itself never even sees that username. The default login is username: pi, password: raspberry

The AT commands aren't something you'll be able to enter. What happens is I send the commands to effectively pick up the receiver and then play an audio file down it - it's an elaborate hack ;)

Are you using a patched PSO disc? I think I've only configured the domains for the PAL retail release into Dreamcast now which night explain why it's not showing...

TacT
Uber

Post#39 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:41 am

I was curious hows this whole thing work showing what games you're playing online? I don't really need to know if its too much but It never shows Max Pool for me and a few other games also don't show up, forget which ones since i'm online right now I can't see what i've previously played lol .

it's still thinking.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#40 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:45 am

-drez01- wrote:Oh I see. I guess you are right. It is an external serial modem that requires a power cable. I am using it with a serial to usb adapter for now until my new smaller usb modem arrives. I just might keep this setup as is because it is still easier than using a line voltage inducer and smaller than a telephone line simulator.

Honestly, the line voltage is really, really simple to make. See my quote below. I've since made two, and stripping the red phone wire takes the longest. The rest is simple if you have a "helping hand" soldering station to hold the wires together

I've since figured out you can melt the casing off of the red wire , and not the actual phone cord, by holding a lighter underneath it. Then solder and hot glue (to ensure longevity of the inductor) everything together and you're good to go

dan1234 wrote:It's a lot simpler than it seems. I've never assembled one yet, but I know if I had the parts in front of me it'd take two minutes. Don't be intimidated, here's a proper diagram that I made. The guides and pictures of it look intimidating, but it's really simple. You don't even need to look at a guide just use the diagram. I think you can even use tape. PC, that'd be a good tutorial idea for you

ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net