DreamPi 1.1 Released - with Dreamcast Now!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: DreamPi 1.1 Released - with Dreamcast Now!

Post#41 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:49 am

TacT wrote:I was curious hows this whole thing work showing what games you're playing online? I don't really need to know if its too much but It never shows Max Pool for me and a few other games also don't show up, forget which ones since i'm online right now I can't see what i've previously played lol .

I cannot speak for kazade, but I know he's juggling many Dreamcast projects along with real life stuff. Like a possible custom starlancer server, line voltage boards, maybe a new version of DreamPi, among a few other things. I'm sure he'll have a bunch of improvements to DC-Now in due time 8-)

Though again I cannot speak for kazade
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#42 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Thank you Kazade for taking the time to answer my questions and all the info. That explains everything. I am using the dc-talk patched PSO disc.

Also thanks dan1234 for the schematic, I will give it a go 8-)

TacT
Uber

Post#43 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 pm

It doesn't show when I'm on quake either =( How does that dreamcast now thing work?

it's still thinking.

kazade
Developer

Post#44 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:44 am

So, when the Dreamcast looks for a server it does a DNS lookup. This is logged on the Dreampi's internal DNS server. My code watches the logs and generates a SHA256 hash of the domain and sends it to the Dreamcast now site. On the server I then compare the hash against a list I have to work out which game it is.

This list is currently incomplete which is why some games don't show up - I'll see if I can improve the list :)

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:03 am

Would it be possible to run the dreampi script on a router with dd-wrt? That would cut the cost of this connection method dramatically and make it even smaller, almost all routers have a usb port these days.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#46 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Sorry for the double post... I just tested a Japanese 33k model A modem and it works flawlessly. I could not even tell the difference between my US modem playing PSO. :geek:

TacT
Uber

Post#47 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:46 pm

technically I think the Upload speed of a 56kv.90 modem is only 33k anyway.

it's still thinking.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#48 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Isn't the upload speed just made for the game logic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#49 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 am

kazade wrote:...but I'm also waiting on the line voltage adapters to arrive and I don't want to do too many things at once :)

Once you finalized your line voltage adapters, I (and undoubtedly many others) will finally hop on the DreamPi bandwagon 8-). Looking really forward to this, going to be great being back online with the Dreamcast!

kazade
Developer

Post#50 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:39 am

-drez01- wrote:Would it be possible to run the dreampi script on a router with dd-wrt? That would cut the cost of this connection method dramatically and make it even smaller, almost all routers have a usb port these days.

Theoretically yes, but it would take some serious work dd-wrt probably doesn't ship with modem drivers for example, or all of the utilities that my code uses. You're probably still just better off with a Pi :)