Idea: Sega Should Re-release the Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Re: Idea: Sega Should Re-release the Dreamcast

Post by Macabre »

Financially they are doing well as a game publisher and creator at this time.

I don't even know if they still have facilities to produce hardware.

If they are going to push any hardware production, I don't think I'd like to see them use that money and effort on reviving a decade + old system.

It is although quite possible for them to make a handheld that has dreamcast par graphics and they could do online play like the nintendo DS does. Rerelasing their entire library in that would be a possible good money maker.

But it would be one hell of a gamble, as would producing any console in this day and age - too many competitors, all of which have a huge financial money pool to tap on if they need anything.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Well, they do still produce Arcade hardware, so it is not impossible for them to get back into the home console market, but yes, financially they are better of now than they were 10 years ago.

I would be the first person in line if they came out with a new system, no doubt about that. ;)

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post by oopsmyseamandied »

It would probably need to be miniaturized, come in red or black, have a vertical stand, and play movies.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

Post by PhiseJr »

I as thinking of this the other day. but instead of Sega release the console can the community make one kinda like the nD. with cheap parts a New VMU/Controller Hybris kinda like how the dreamcast had the ability to connect to the NEO GEO and GBA to GC connectivity ? it mean its all there but not this time we make it a bit more up to date with a BBA or even wireless connectivity with Linking Consoles. Its my thought sorry if someone already said this i read the first post and decided to put in my 2cents.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

Macabre wrote:Financially they are doing well as a game publisher and creator at this time.

If they are going to push any hardware production, I don't think I'd like to see them use that money and effort on reviving a decade + old system.

It is although quite possible for them to make a handheld that has dreamcast par graphics and they could do online play like the nintendo DS does. Rerelasing their entire library in that would be a possible good money maker.

But it would be one hell of a gamble, as would producing any console in this day and age - too many competitors, all of which have a huge financial money pool to tap on if they need anything.
I never got that with sega, they stop making consoles at one point in time, but keep making arcade machines that are prolly 100 times more expensive than 1 dreamcast...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

jerry0503222
noob

Post by jerry0503222 »

That would be sweet. And viable. Even people who never owned a Dreamcast know it's legendary, and have heard of and been curious about these titles.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

Post by PhiseJr »

I'm Still thinking that its possible for the community to pitch in on this project themselves ? that is if there are no legal issues involved. kinda like what the open pandora is. and the nD.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

ksio.amaral89
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: 4x4 Evolution

Post by ksio.amaral89 »

Macabre wrote:Financially they are doing well as a game publisher and creator at this time.

Yeah,that really makes sense.I guess that they don't want to change something that's working.By the way,only first party titles alone won't attract many customers(even in Japan).Manufacturing any kind of hardware will require planning,production and marketing costs which SEGA doesn't intend to have.Add to that the lack of reputation SEGA gained by killing its consoles early or by releasing bad titles on them:Sega CD,32X,Saturn and Dreamcast.And even if they released a low cost console and if it made moderate success,Nintendo ,Microsoft or Sony would drop their consoles prices or would make deals with AAA developer studios in order to damage any kind of competition.However,that's my opinion,and it might be wrong.

cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

I wonder how a modern day dreamcast package would be.Maybe a updated version of the processor(special multicore version maybe?) and gpu(added shaders perhaps?) but still backwards compatible.1 gb of ram maybe run a custom version of android os(or something) meant only for its hardware and a special online market only meant for it.Ethernet port and internal wifi.Can use sd/micro sd for storage.Maybe internal hardware to play 720p/1080p movies.Over the internet updates for its os to increase performance by optimizing.Price point $150-$199 maybe? Cheap games .99 cents to like 15 dollars.And of course a disk drive to cds/dvd/gdroms.You know except for a few custom things it pretty much sounds like those chinese cortex a9 tablets, I guess it would be do able but probably not enough public interest.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

cloofoofoo wrote:I wonder how a modern day dreamcast package would be.Maybe a updated version of the processor(special multicore version maybe?) and gpu(added shaders perhaps?) but still backwards compatible.1 gb of ram maybe run a custom version of android os(or something) meant only for its hardware and a special online market only meant for it.Ethernet port and internal wifi.Can use sd/micro sd for storage.Maybe internal hardware to play 720p/1080p movies.Over the internet updates for its os to increase performance by optimizing.Price point $150-$199 maybe? Cheap games .99 cents to like 15 dollars.And of course a disk drive to cds/dvd/gdroms.You know except for a few custom things it pretty much sounds like those chinese cortex a9 tablets, I guess it would be do able but probably not enough public interest.
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Let's not forget what a game console is for...to play games! Don't get me wrong, I love all the media features on my PS3 but I think game consoles should focus purely on the games. Maybe then we would get many more creative and unique games like the Dreamcast has. Imagine what would happen if all the resources were put towards the games. SEGA and Nintendo have always focused on the games and nothing else. Thus the lack of a DVD drive in the Dreamcast, Gamecube or the Wii.

To sum it up: LET'S KEEP IT SIMPLE! I can buy another device for my media, apps, and DVDs.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live