The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.
VasiliyRS
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Areana
Phantasy Star Online v2

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post by VasiliyRS »

Got it. I have suggestion - a story line.

Dreamcaster
Anarki

Post by Dreamcaster »

Anthony817 wrote:Wow! This game is FAST! 60FPS! Man, fast and accurate that's how I love my fighters!
I've recorded my video with FRAPS and the FPS benchmark doesn't show the full 60 fps. There were a few slow downs. Usually I have full 60 fps with all new PC games. Check this out Cpt. DC, the framerate should be stable.

I have also problem with disappearing sprites, and problem with detecting the inputs (srk, hadouken, tatsu) i'm experenced SF player, so be sure this is not problem with my lame manual skills.

Anthony817 wrote:Dude, that is some awesome fighting music you have on the game haha!
I love this music, MVC2, SF2 Tribute, 3s. Man you have good taste :D

Thanks again Cpt DC, sor far this is one of my best Dreamcast homebrew Image

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

I just posted a blog update about this here. http://rdcproject.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... ngine.html

Captain Dreamcast
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Everything... as soon as I've got that PC-DC server set up xD

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

Thanks a lot to everyone for trying the game! I'm really glad you like it, even though it's far from finished! :P
Vasiliy wrote:Awesome work Captain Dreamcast! First thank for releasing it in time. What's 000.000 file, is it dummy?
is the game 50hz or 60hz?
Yeah, like dreamcast-news said, it's just a dummy file. Since the game files themselves are only a few MB, it was included to make sure that even weaker lasers can recognize the game. :mrgreen:

There is no 50Hz compatability in this game. Using my Scart cable, the game always booted in 50 Hz (also cutting off things from the screen), so I forced output in 60Hz, since nowadays pretty much every TV is compatible. VGA still outputs in VGA though. That being said, there really should be a selector in the final release. :P
Dreamcaster wrote: I've recorded my video with FRAPS and the FPS benchmark doesn't show the full 60 fps. There were a few slow downs. Usually I have full 60 fps with all new PC games. Check this out Cpt. DC, the framerate should be stable.
Wait a sec, so you actually got it working with an emulator? Last time I checked that didn't even work at all! Could you please tell me which emulator/plugins you used? That might explain the disappearing sprites, since the emulators can't emulate a certain hardware feature the D-Engine uses. As for the inputs... I'll check it again! Just to make sure, where you playing as Ryu, Ken, or have you tried both?
Dreamcaster wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Dude, that is some awesome fighting music you have on the game haha!
I love this music, MVC2, SF2 Tribute, 3s. Man you have good taste :D
Yeah, those are some of my favorite tracks! Once again, the Mortal Kombat part has been neglected, but it's not my fault Capcom music is so awesome. :mrgreen:
Vasiliy wrote:I have suggestion - a story line.
Oh, I have a great idea for a frame story! Not trying to spoil too much, but it takes place in Videoland, the place where all video game characters reside and the different game worlds are divided by barriers. One day something (or someone? ;) ) breaks down these barriers and the greatest fighters of Videoland have to join forces in order to save Video games for everyone!

Yup, that's the kind of weird stuff I come up with when I'm bored while programming redundant things. Sounds a bit like a mash-up of the Kingdom Hearts and Marvel vs. Capcom storylines, but hey, I'll make sure to add a few twists to it. ;)
Anthony817 wrote:I just posted a blog update about this here. http://rdcproject.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... ngine.html
Dude, thanks for all your help spreading the word! The article is really great! :)
For Great Justice!

Jenkins
MicroMidget
Dreamcast Games you play Online: every still remaining

Post by Jenkins »

Captain Dreamcast wrote:Wait a sec, so you actually got it working with an emulator?
Played it with the stable build of nullDC (v. 1.0.4 - built Jun 20 2010) + original Dreamcast BIOS. I don't know which BIOS I got here, but it's an unmodified one.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

No thank you! I am just happy you got it out when you did and that you dedicated all this time to actually getting such a great game done in the first place!

I had no idea you would learn programming this extensively. You can do more than I ever dreamed about, so you have much to be proud of.

Dreamcaster
Anarki

Post by Dreamcaster »

Captain Dreamcast wrote:
Dreamcaster wrote: I've recorded my video with FRAPS and the FPS benchmark doesn't show the full 60 fps. There were a few slow downs. Usually I have full 60 fps with all new PC games. Check this out Cpt. DC, the framerate should be stable.
Wait a sec, so you actually got it working with an emulator? Last time I checked that didn't even work at all! Could you please tell me which emulator/plugins you used? That might explain the disappearing sprites, since the emulators can't emulate a certain hardware feature the D-Engine uses. As for the inputs... I'll check it again! Just to make sure, where you playing as Ryu, Ken, or have you tried both?

Yeah, i'm using the last build of NullDC r135 with default plugins. I've tried to run D-Engine under Demul and Makaron but i won't start. Unfortunately i have to record my videos with fraps, my capture card dont work with W7 x64.

Indiket
Developer

Post by Indiket »

Hey Captain DC! Indiket here reporting ;)

First of all, thanks m8 for developing it. It has great potential (/me thinking of nud... characters ^^).

Anyway, back to the business:
- I saw you compiled with SDL 1.2.9. You should update to SDL 1.2.13 (it's faster, stronger, higher... better!). You can get it from here:

Code: Select all

svn://emuforge.com/kosports/sdl-1.2.13
- I also managed to run the game with Makaron T12.5 emulator :)

- Bug: There are no side walls!? I mean, I can push the opponent to the end of the screen, and then it still goes! Also mine character can go out... resulting in a "very dark fight" xDDD.

- And although your code is GPL (yay!), all that sprites, sounds, musics, voices... erh I think that they are copyrighted. Just to make sure, in the final version we could change "everything" to get a full 100% open-source project?

Keep up the good work!!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Lol, you forget what site this is, and what we do here. Nobody is thinking of protecting the copyrighted material lol.

If you were to host a version on dreamcast.es, you could make a completely legit version for your site so you won't worry about any repercussions from the law. ;)

I mean, in essence, this game screams of breaking copyright laws just by its nature, we are taking sprites from a multitude of other copyrighted IP's, so it is wrong from "their point of view", Mugen and BOR have been doing this already for years without avail.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Everything... as soon as I've got that PC-DC server set up xD

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

Hey, hey, before we get worked up over the copyright, please check out my plan: :P

First off, I am going to release the D-Engine, completely legal, bundled with nothing but a simple self-drawn background and a dummy character, probably a stereotypical fighter, you know the drill. All of the things included there will be released under the GPL. :D

Theeeen, since I can already foresee that that plain version is not really going to be that cool (especially if I have to draw/compose/voice act everything :lol: ), the first mod, SF vs MK is going to be released seperately and completely independent of the pure Engine. :P

The beta alone wasn't really worth releasing a pure version so I immediately went the more interesting way. I'm sorry if that caused problems with copyright. Regarding the "borrowed" sprites and music, I thought just like Anthony: Since the engine was moddable, it would be kind of a "grey area". :?

Just for clarification, the "CHRRRT" sound that comes when something is locked is completely open-source! Captain DC voice acting at its best. :lol:

Hope that would solve all issues that might appear and everyone can be happy with it. :)

Now for the actual engine...
Indiket wrote: Anyway, back to the business:
- I saw you compiled with SDL 1.2.9. You should update to SDL 1.2.13 (it's faster, stronger, higher... better!). You can get it from here:

Code: Select all

svn://emuforge.com/kosports/sdl-1.2.13
Ah, thanks for telling me about this! First, because the Makefile is no longer supposed to be compiling with SDL and second because this will definitely come in handy for future projects! :D

Indiket wrote: - I also managed to run the game with Makaron T12.5 emulator :)
Dreamcaster wrote: Yeah, i'm using the last build of NullDC r135 with default plugins. I've tried to run D-Engine under Demul and Makaron but i won't start. Unfortunately i have to record my videos with fraps, my capture card dont work with W7 x64.
So I guess emulators are partially supported now. Of course it's kind of an empty victory until the reasons behind the emulator errors are found. Thanks for telling me which emulators you used, maybe their output hold a clue to what's wrong. :3
Indiket wrote: - Bug: There are no side walls!? I mean, I can push the opponent to the end of the screen, and then it still goes! Also mine character can go out... resulting in a "very dark fight" xDDD.
Ummm, maybe you have to fight... using your... instincts? Nah, just kidding that was clearly a mistake on my part. Seems like the position of the character and the position of the texture got mixed up. Thanks for the bug report, it's as good as fixed! :D

Indiket wrote: Keep up the good work!!
Thanks, the D-Engine wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the awesome community working so hard to keep the system alive! Go Dreamcast scene! :P

Something I forgot to mention in case someone wants to compile or fiddle with the code, there's two things to consider.

First, it will only compile with GCC 4.something. Compiling it with GCC 3 yields a "pcrel too far" error, which appears to be a compiler bug.

Second, in order to use paletted textures, KallistiOS has to be modified. Due to reasons beyond my ability to comprehend, someone disabled loading paletted KMG files (see: kmg.h). Maybe someone taking care of KOS should look into enabling palette modes by default?
For Great Justice!