Unable to connect to the Sonic Adventure Website

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Infomaniac95
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!

The Next Tetris: Online Edition

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Unable to connect to the Sonic Adventure Website

Post by Infomaniac95 »

Yo, so I recently decided to get my Dreamcast hooked back up. I made sure to update my DreamPi before doing as such. I've been able to connect to and use the websites for Rayman 2 and Jet Grind Radio, but Sonic Adventure is throwing a "Unable to contact host. Could not look up its name." error. Can anything be done to get the site back up and working again?

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: Unable to connect to the Sonic Adventure Website

Post by Xiden »

Infomaniac95 wrote:Yo, so I recently decided to get my Dreamcast hooked back up. I made sure to update my DreamPi before doing as such. I've been able to connect to and use the websites for Rayman 2 and Jet Grind Radio, but Sonic Adventure is throwing a "Unable to contact host. Could not look up its name." error. Can anything be done to get the site back up and working again?
Are you sure you're using a NTSC (USA region) or PAL Region disc to connect? Just tried and verified its up.
Screenshot 2023-08-11 210751.png

Infomaniac95
undertow

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Post by Infomaniac95 »

How strange. I even tried deleting my save, and I still can't connect to the site. Maybe I need to find a planet web image, and redo my network settings...

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

double check and make sure your dns is set to 0.0.0.0 on dreampi. Is the Sonic Adventure disc also a backup version or real GD-Rom? Some CDI's had website stuff stripped out.

Infomaniac95
undertow

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Post by Infomaniac95 »

Would I need to plug my DreamPi into my TV with a mouse and keyboard to check that? Also, it's a GDI I got from this site. Strangely, I've used this exact copy in the past before to go online without issues.

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

Infomaniac95 wrote:Would I need to plug my DreamPi into my TV with a mouse and keyboard to check that? Also, it's a GDI I got from this site. Strangely, I've used this exact copy in the past before to go online without issues.
Its a dreamcast level setting, you can use planet web or XDP Web browsers to set DNS

Infomaniac95
undertow

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Post by Infomaniac95 »

Xiden wrote:
Infomaniac95 wrote:Would I need to plug my DreamPi into my TV with a mouse and keyboard to check that? Also, it's a GDI I got from this site. Strangely, I've used this exact copy in the past before to go online without issues.
Its a dreamcast level setting, you can use planet web or XDP Web browsers to set DNS
I checked my settings, and they all line up with the guides I see online. I even tried connecting to sonic-adventure.com in the Planet Web browser, and it worked. I'm not sure why only this game's site isn't loading for me. I even got SA2 to test, and it's website loads fine. Does it matter that I'm using the American version of the game?

Xiden
Developer

Post by Xiden »

Infomaniac95 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
I checked my settings, and they all line up with the guides I see online. I even tried connecting to sonic-adventure.com in the Planet Web browser, and it worked. I'm not sure why only this game's site isn't loading for me. I even got SA2 to test, and it's website loads fine. Does it matter that I'm using the American version of the game?
sonic-adventure.com isn't the one we host, its sonic1.dreampipe.net. That's interesting though that someone is hosting one on that domain haha. Sonic 1 and 2 both go to our dreampipe domain. The PAL version also works if you want to try that instead.

Infomaniac95
undertow

Planet Ring

POD SpeedZone

Worms World Party

Post by Infomaniac95 »

So, I tried the PAL version of the game, and this is what I'm seeing. It's attempting to go to the URL "sonic.games.dreamcast.com", with the same error as the NTSC Version. So it seems it's failing to redirect to the correct URL, for some reason? Why would this error occur only for Sonic, though?

I have a hunch that this could be a problem with the DreamPi 1.8 DLE Image I got from here, but I'm not sure, since I no longer have the old version to check: https://dreamcastlive.net/downloads/

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Looks like my DNS server didn't have the entry for Sonic Adventure for some reason. I fixed it so it should work now. Strange because Kazade sent me the latest entries from his server to add to mine. I guess I can blame him. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live