Crazy Taxi

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.
Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: How good do you think Crazy Taxi is?

1. E.T. (Worst game I have ever played!)
No votes
2. Bubsy 3D (It really sucks.)
No votes
3. Treasure Planet (PS1) (I don't really like it.)
No votes
4. Sonic the Fighters (Meh.)
No votes
5. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (It's okay.)
No votes
6. Rugrats: Search for Reptar (It passes.)
No votes
7. Super Mario Sunshine (Quite good, actually.)
7%
8. Resident Evil (PS1) (Great game!)
13%
9. Metal Gear Solid (A must-have!)
47%
10. Shenmue (Masterpiece!)
33%

Total votes: 15

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Crazy Taxi

Post by hudsthinking1999 »

WARNING: Spoilers may be present.

I'm also sorry that I couldn't supply any images. Hope you are fine with that. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should you have a ride in the Crazy Taxi? In real life, no. Fortunately, this game is a safe alternative!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy Taxi, believe it or not, started out in the arcades. But when Sega's new white bundle of entertainment--the Dreamcast--arrived to the West, we received a port of Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast. And although it doesn't give you the experience you would have in an arcade cabinet (unless you have a Dreamcast Race Controller (that's compatible, too!)), the actual game is as close to the arcade version as you can get.

If you're not familiar with Crazy Taxi, here's the Dreamcast port for you:

There are three modes in this game, two of which were introduced in this port. The Arcade and Original modes have the same concept: drive around, pick people up and take them to their destination. Simple, right? Well, let's go into further detail.

You can select from "Play By Arcade Rules" (you have to earn time by picking people up), "Work For 3 Minutes", "Work For 5 Minutes", or "Work For 10 Minutes". After you have selected one of those, you can choose from 4 different cars and drivers: Axel, B.D. Joe, Gena, And Gus. I usually play as Gena because I feel her taxi is the fastest.

Then, you start the game with your chosen taxi and taxi driver. You can check the current control scheme in the Options menu when you start up the game, as well as change it.

Your objective is to pick up a customer and bring him/her to his/her destination. You can press X for a reminder of what your destination is and how far you are from it.

To help you find your customer's destination, there is an arrow at the top of the screen that shows you where to go. The arrow works quite well, but can screw you over sometimes, like at sharp turns and other random times.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "This game sounds pretty boring, Hud." Well, what if I told you this: hence the name "Crazy Taxi", you can drive around the open area like a crazed maniac without any cops chasing you whatsoever! And in the Original mode area, you can even drive underwater! Once, I was playing this game, and I flew off a ramp and LANDED on a CAR!

Now, this may not seem very exciting today, as you can do all of this in the GTA and Saints Row games on PS3 and XBox 360. But back then, *whew*…it was mind-blowing, and it really showed off what the Dreamcast can do!

Oh, right! I almost forgot to cover the "Crazy Box" mode, also introduced in this port. As far as I know, it is a random set of levels with random goals and concepts. The only one I've played is the one where you have to make an impressive jump off of a ramp. No matter how hard I try, I cannot make the jump. Then again, it's probably because I can't pull off any of the "Crazy Maneuvers" the manual said you could. Man, it's great that these old manuals actually have effort put into them. Now, it's just warranties and don't have a seizure.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, Crazy Taxi is a very fun game to play, and if you have the opportunity to, give it a try. Who knows, you may like it. I definitely did.

It's really fun to play, especially with your buddies. Unfortunately, none of my brothers want to play it with me.

Am I alone?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay: 18
Controls have to take some getting used to, even when switched. But as everybody would think, bashing into other cars is always fun.

Graphics: 17
Really nice graphics that show off what Sega's little white box of joy can perform…
…though the eagle-eyed gamers will notice that the people look a bit dated and blocky.

Sound: 20
Rocking early-2000s-sounding music performed by Offspring and Bad Religion. If you like those bands, then this is the game for you!

Replay ability: 14
This game is very addicting, but when you think about it, there's not much replay value here. You can try and beat your records, but that's pretty much it.

Affordability: 19
One of the cheapest Dreamcast games out there right now. In 1999, it would be the same as any other Dreamcast game out there.

Final Score: 88/100 (or 8.8/10)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading my first review! Stay tuned for more!
-Hud (hudsthinking1999)
Last edited by hudsthinking1999 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Review: Crazy Taxi

Post by mazonemayu »

it's by far may fav car game of all times, nothingcomes close 10/10
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Thanks for rating! :D

-Some plebs at IGN

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post by segata sanshiro »

mazonemayu wrote:it's by far may fav car game of all times, nothingcomes close 10/10
And close to being the best game ever!
I keep playing since i got it back in the day 15 years ago, i've played it even more than mario 3 (on NES) and Skies.
Last edited by segata sanshiro on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

True, it is the one and only game I can play at any time, no matter how I feel. And it always manages to deliver instant happiness
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

hudsthinking1999 wrote:WARNING: Spoilers may be present.
LOL what?

Gotta say, Crazy Taxi is one of my favorite games for the DC, and it's a shame that Sega hasn't made a new one in like 10 years.

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

@lastcallgames I do not know why I put that spoiler warning there. At least it keeps away "omgspoilerzzzzzzzzdisgamizrueend4meeeeemylifizrueeeeeennnnnnnnnnd!!!1!!1" people! :lol:

-Some plebs at IGN

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post by rjay63 »

Crazy Taxi is a game I try to play from time to time...captures that golden era in 1999 down at my local Sega Park arcade (now closed).

"Crazy Taxi in the arcades was like any arcade racing machine--a seat and a steering wheel."

Not true...this was a title that brought new players into the arcade. It was so different and original that it drew crowds. It was one of the few games where 1 credit could last up to 1 or 2 hours (depending on the difficulty settings); operators hated that! ;)

Also Crazy Taxi was never a launch title.

Must look up my old records for this game!
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Whoops! I guess I should fix those errors. Thanks for telling me! :)

-Some plebs at IGN

FinedrivE
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Can't get my dreamcast online. Looking forward to Quake 3, ya'know when ever I get around to it.

Re: Crazy Taxi

Post by FinedrivE »

I spent hundreds of dollars on this title in the arcade. It was nestled next to and 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker machine at the PX on FT Sill, so there were days that I may have spent 20 bucks between the two of them. I don't ever remember an arcade title that turned me into a slobbering zombie. I would miss formations playing this game. When the Dreamcast port hit I scooped it up and wasn't seen for entire weekends. This was the game that , in my brain anyway, was saving Sega and making up for the disappointing first party run with the Saturn. Good review guy.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.