Help choosing a gaming mouse?

Talk about PC and Mac games, etc. here.
albert90
shadow

Help choosing a gaming mouse?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi! Although this isn't strictly speaking DC related, I was wondering if I could get everyone's opinion on the right gaming mouse for me. There's a lot to choose from and it's hard not to feel overwhelmed.

For now, I've decided to keep it to the options from this guide https://10beasts.com/best-gaming-mouse/, but I do need to narrow it down more. I play a lot of FPS games, but also a fair amount of third-person story-based games, so I'd need something that's good for both (I'm not very picky though). Wireless isn't a requirement for me, but a low weight would be nice.

I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys have, whether from this list or otherwise.

TIA!

azel
fire

Re: Help choosing a gaming mouse?

Post#2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:05 pm

Honestly it's hard to recommend a mouse to someone because there are so many variables such as your hand size, how you hold it etc. You really need to research things like that to help you decide because what can be super comfortable for one person could be awful for the next.

I'd research mice for what grip type you have eg palm, claw and go from there. If you have a store like Microcenter around it might help to go in and try some in person.

Tarnish
Graffiti Grind

Post#3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:56 am

Can't say I used all that many mice over the years, so I can't really comment on the ones on that list, but I can comment on the one I'm using right now, which I'm very satisfied with so far after a few months of use.
Which is this one: https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-500

My requirements for choosing it were: left/right wheel tilt, tons of buttons (especially for my thumb), ability to customse the buttons. So far I can definitely say I am very pleased with it, although like with everything, it's not perfect.
Pros:
- comfortable to hold and use
- thumb buttons are easy to get used to and to distinguish (you don't mix up the buttons)
- there's a place to grip the mouse with your thumb if you want to lift it up without accidentally pressing a button
- to me it seems very precise and responsive, even without a mousepad (I'm not a hardcore gamer, but in the FPS/TPS games I played, I never felt it caused issues with my aim)
- very good and easy to understand software: you can customise every single button, set up macros, set up profiles for specific programs/games, it even has a rumble feature if you're into that sort of thing (tho I never used it so far)

Cons:
- the 2 top thumb buttons are almost impossible to reach without moving your hand unless you have gigantic hands
- wired version only (for me that's not a problem and seems like not for you either, but unlike with certain mice that has wired and wireless versions, this only came in wired)
- pretty damn heavy for a mouse (129 g / 4.6 ounces) and there's no option to make it lighter, tho during gameplay you tend to not even notice it
- the software became pretty bloated as they updated it: now they use it to promote their other stuff and added lot of features unrelated to the hardware you might not ever care about
- a real pain in the ass if you ever want to take it apart for maintenance/cleaning, as not only do you have to ruin the rubber pads on the bottom to access the screws, it also has 2 ribbon cables connecting it together, which are a nightmare to reconnect (talking from experience)

I know it's not the newest mouse, and I see SteelSeries says it's no longer avaiable at them, but it might be worth checking it out still if you can.

albert90
shadow

Post#4 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:52 am

azel wrote: I'd research mice for what grip type you have eg palm, claw and go from there. If you have a store like Microcenter around it might help to go in and try some in person.

That's fair enough. Good suggestion, I'll try digging deeper into it.

albert90
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:55 am

Tarnish wrote: I know it's not the newest mouse, and I see SteelSeries says it's no longer avaiable at them, but it might be worth checking it out still if you can.

Thanks for the suggestion and the detailed rundown, I appreciate that. If I can find this one somewhere I'll be sure to check it out.

alberto91
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:34 am

I would recommend you to purchase Corsair Nightsword RGB. It is an excellent mouse that delivers optimum performance. You can also explore https://10beasts.com/best-mmo-mouse/ to seek some other excellent suggestions. However, I personally believe that there is nothing better than Corsair Nightsword RGB in terms of performance.