PC built to Dreamcast spec.

Talk about PC and Mac games, etc. here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Neohound
Gold Lion

PC built to Dreamcast spec.

Post#1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:12 am

I'm thinking about building a PC using older parts in order to both emulate the DC and be capable of playing games that were supposed to come to DC but ended up on PC such as Outcast and Black and White. Also I want it to be able to burn DC games.

I know you can get the same graphics card as used in the DC for the PC but obviously not the same central processor. I was thinking about using a 400 mhz Pentium !! as a starting point. Has anyone got any ideas on that or the rest of the machine ?

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Re: PC built to Dreamcast spec.

Post#3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Neohound wrote:I'm thinking about building a PC using older parts in order to both emulate the DC and be capable of playing games that were supposed to come to DC but ended up on PC such as Outcast and Black and White. Also I want it to be able to burn DC games.

I know you can get the same graphics card as used in the DC for the PC but obviously not the same central processor. I was thinking about using a 400 mhz Pentium !! as a starting point. Has anyone got any ideas on that or the rest of the machine ?

You will need a computer better then the Dreamcast specs to emulate most games perfectly.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 am

TeamXlink wrote:
Neohound wrote:I'm thinking about building a PC using older parts in order to both emulate the DC and be capable of playing games that were supposed to come to DC but ended up on PC such as Outcast and Black and White. Also I want it to be able to burn DC games.

You will need a computer better then the Dreamcast specs to emulate most games perfectly.

Yeah you're right Xlink, I should've made myself clearer. I want to emulate the Dreamcast specs on a PC rather than a PC to run emulated DC games(I've got a Dreamcast so no need for that :) ).

I've changed my mind anyway. I was going to source individual components and build it myself but I've found a secondhand shop round the corner from me which sells loads of old PC's and I've seen one which I think will be about right. The owner wants £25 for it. It's a 550mhz Pentium !!! with a 32mb G400 Matrox card, 25 gb IBM hd, 256mb RAM running Windows 98SE.

I'll have to get a move on before someone else snaps it up, just a bit skint atm due to excessive recent spending.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Bought it. Now to trawl Ebay for all the unreleased DC games that were on or ended up on the PC. Might possibly be the nerdiest quest I've ever been on but, quite frankly, I don't give a fuck lol

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Mmmm, I've only thought of three titles. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me towards a full list of such games if one exists.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#7 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

I've ordered Commandos 2, Messiah, Black & White and Outcast. Cost me ~£10 !

I'm sure there must be more out there, I'll keep searching.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#8 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I played Outcast and Messiah all week and I'm sure that if they'd have made it onto the Dreamcast they would have been worthy additions it's library. Outcast in particular has left a big impression on me, a really good game.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#9 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Yeah you're right Xlink, I should've made myself clearer. I want to emulate the Dreamcast specs on a PC rather than a PC to run emulated DC games(I've got a Dreamcast so no need for that :) ).

I've changed my mind anyway. I was going to source individual components and build it myself but I've found a secondhand shop round the corner from me which sells loads of old PC's and I've seen one which I think will be about right. The owner wants £25 for it. It's a 550mhz Pentium !!! with a 32mb G400 Matrox card, 25 gb IBM hd, 256mb RAM running Windows 98SE.

I'll have to get a move on before someone else snaps it up, just a bit skint atm due to excessive recent spending.

You can play some hardcore dos games on there
PS2 Online Gaming

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#10 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 pm

10six (SegaSoft / SEGA)
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (Ensemble Studios / Konami + SEGA)
Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood (Westka Entertainment / Ubi Soft)
Austin Powers: Mojo Rally (Take 2 / Rockstar / Climax Studios)
Baldur's Gate (BioWare / SEGA)
Black & White (Lionhead Studios / Krisalis)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Chess 2000
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Codemasters)
Commandos 2: Men of Courage (Pyro Studios / Eidos)
Croc 2 (Argonaut / Fox Interactive)
Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse (Metro3D)
Deer Avenger (Hypnotix / Berkeley + Simon & Schuster)
Galleon: Islands of Mystery (Confounding Factor / Interplay)
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (Crystal Dynamics / Eidos)
Giants: Citizen Kabuto (Planet Moon Studios / Interplay)
Half-Life / Online (Gearbox + Captivation Digital Laboratories /
Sierra)
Heroes of Might & Magic III (3DO / Ubi Soft)
IHRA Drag Racing (Bethesda Softworks)
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos (Particle Systems / Infogrames)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 (Crystal Dynamics / Eidos)
Max Payne (Remedy / Rockstar / Take 2 / Apogee)
Messiah (Shiny / Interplay)
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (Microsoft + Konami)
Microsoft Links LS
Missile Command 3D (Hasbro)
Roswell Conspiracy Theories (Crawfish / Red Storm)
Shadowman: 2econd Coming (Iguana / Acclaim)
Sierra Sports: Game Room (Sierra)
Sim City 3000 (Maxis)
Spec Ops 2 / Online (Zombie / Ripcord)
Star Trek: New Worlds (Binary Asylum + RuneCraft / Interplay)
SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle (Sierra)
System Shock 2 (Looking Glass Studios / Vatical Entertainment)
The World's Scariest Police Chases: Deadly Pursuit (Teeny Weeny Games
/ Fox Interactive)
Thief 2
Total Annihilation 2 (Cavedog / GT Interactive)
Tropico (PopTop / G.O.D., Gathering of Developers)
Unreal (GT Interactive)
Worms Pinball (Team 17 / Infogrames)
Last edited by game_player_s on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/