(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Poll: Do you like the look of Dan the hero of Shadow Gangs

Yes, keep him as he is
66%
He look better in long Jeans (like Cody in final fight)
34%
Total votes: 29

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

Post#41 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Not meaning to be critical but I'm wondering if 60 Pounds English is a bit high for a physical copy of the game for Dreamcast? Saber rider and the star sheriffs offered a non-special edition physical copy for 33 pounds.
Over at Hucast a regular copy of The Ghost Blade retails for €32.95.
I'm just wondering if the price could be an impediment to people backing Shadow Gangs. Is it possible to get the physical side, i.e manual, pressed disc, inlay and box done cheaper? At that price its close to a ps4 game in price.

Just a thought, certainly you can ask more than 30 odd pounds for a special edition version. I understand that you need to meet the goal amount.

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#42 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 am

I think the price is one major blocker now, I am thinking now to knock out 30 pounds from the physical version.
And put the digital version at £12 instead of £20.

I still hope people will go for higher tiers as this will be the only hope for this game.

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#43 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 am

Done now!
Digital version at £12
Physical at £30

Between, Adrian you now get the physical version. (read the Kickstarter update).

I hope this will help the project succeed.

Impulse
Admin

Post#44 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:01 am

shadowgangs wrote:Done now!
Digital version at £12
Physical at £30

Between, Adrian you now get the physical version. (read the Kickstarter update).

I hope this will help the project succeed.

Hey shadowgangs thanks for posting here. Your game looks great! Now that the kickstarter includes a Dreamcast version i'm gong to copy the first post into a news section so it will appear in our front page :) Good luck man!
-Impulse

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#45 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:51 am

Thank you very much!

I would like to say, that from the feedback I have seen on many places that Shadow Gangs main hero will get some fixes and enhancements.

Aside from the enhancements I detailed on the website, this what I am planning to do:
- Revise Dan sprites. Normal jump sprites will redrawn,
- Crouch walking and crouch shuriken sprites will be redrawn, or at least heavily retouched.

Now the most criticism I get is about his looks, face, and suit he is on.
I will set a new Poll regarding him.

(The main reason I made him look this way is in relation to the Blood Sports movie).

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#46 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:16 am

In an ideal world yes, the Dan sprite could be a lot cooler looking. But I guess it would cost a lot of money to do a complete redraw? Cooler, subtle, tougher and sleeker looking. However I understand there is an intentional kitsch vibe to the game.
Whatever you do be decisive, perhaps some new concept sketches for proposed changes could be shown.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#47 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:39 am

I just read through this thread, and will check out the Kickstarter!

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#48 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:51 am

Wrath of Khan wrote:In an ideal world yes, the Dan sprite could be a lot cooler looking. But I guess it would cost a lot of money to do a complete redraw? Cooler, subtle, tougher and sleeker looking. However I understand there is an intentional kitsch vibe to the game.
Whatever you do be decisive, perhaps some new concept sketches for proposed changes could be shown.

I think the votes weren't' reset. That's why it shows 6/1 for the current look.
It will cost a lot, Dan has currently around 52 sprites, with the addition of intermediate frames to smooth the animations + the completed smooth death animation I think it will be around 70 or so (this is without the Ninja form)

For 70 frames, it will cost around £600 + any fixes needed after so around £700.

Then there is the ninja form...

I personally like how he look currently, not very tough but that will be good when he'll be contrasted with the upcoming ninja form.
This quasi naked look he has now, will show the weaker side of him, once he become ninja and start using the Katana and sword.

It also make him look unique.

I was just thinking about the ninja form, my initial intention was that you have one hit death, but now after thinking about it, if you are in fighter form this applies, one hit/death. But when you power up to a ninja, if you get hit, you morph back to the fighter form instead of dying.

krssn
Metallic

Post#49 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:21 pm

I like the character just the way he is.

Sometimes you're better off not overthinking things.

My two cents...

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#50 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:55 pm

krssn wrote:I like the character just the way he is.

Sometimes you're better off not overthinking things.

My two cents...

He'll come in different colours too, not just the black suit.