State of Sega

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Poll: Will SEGA go out of business?

Yes
5%
Possibly and highly likely but still a chance they won't
5%
Possibly however unlikely
15%
They will live on through another company due to being bought out
17%
NO FREAKING WAY!
58%
Total votes: 60

beanboy
Wazza

Re: State of Sega

Post#21 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 pm

They are slowly starting to make a come back. I think the game that will make or break them is VF6. VF5 FS made alot of their fanbase leave which was bad enough. And though VF5 US is a remake of VF5 FS, even on Maximillian Doods Yovideogames channel on twitch, when they were livestreaming VF5 US, there were people who said, that it will not bring back alot of their fanbase who left, because the newer updated game was based on Final Showdown. Hopefully Sega JP realises that, bring back all of the things they took out of FS, and make VF6 really good, to get back most of their fanbase again. It sucks to see how small the VF fanbase got, after the release of Final Showdown.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:38 pm

Interesting to hear about the new Sega - Microsoft collaboration on a "super game".

The xbox continues to be an extremely tiny percentage of the Japanese game market. I think greater collaboration between sega and microsoft would be beneficial for both companies interests.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#23 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:20 am

Last I remember, SEGA is in one of the bet standings they have been in years. Us old school SEGA fanboys want them to revive dormant franchises and what not, but what they have right now makes money and is little risk. Sure I miss the wild west days of SEGA throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks and works, but that's also what almost destroyed the company.

There are lots of doom and gloom clickbait articles about how SEGA is closing up all their arcades across Japan, but that has been a long time coming for the industry itself, not just SEGA. Arcades have been on a death march for the last decade or so in Japan, and especially with Covid/the country being closed to tourists has only sped things up.

SEGA knows how to safely make money now, so I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

alberto91
shadow

Post#24 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:45 am

I do not think they are going anywhere. They are still earning a significant amount of revenue from different gaming series like Yakuza. They just need to be more creative and work on creating new trends.

gochi77
noob

Post#25 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:17 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:SEGA is in the best shape they have been in since the Dreamcast failed. They still put out a rough game here and there, but their core franchises are strong. TBH, they are doing incredibly well as a 3rd party, especially considering where they came from post Genesis. Not to mention they are not just SEGA anymore and have some deeper pockets than most 3rd party companies in Japan from their arcade/pachinko business.

Compare SEGA to say Konami when it comes to making home console games, and its like two different worlds.

Your really said this best i agree 100% about them being in the best shape since the dreamcast..

I think you're right thank you so much, keep share with..

igen
noob

Post#26 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:43 pm

I doubt they'll go out of business, they are way too big to fail, they could be bought tho, that's more plausible, at least to me

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#27 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:33 am

Ha, just realized I answered this question twice, but I stand by both statements. :D

NeORomani
lithium

Post#28 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:27 am

But is this what you think? Or what you want?

George_Tilapia
shadow

Post#29 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:52 pm

The Yakuza series is a breath of fresh air rather than trying to pump life back into Sonic.

I got Yakuza Like a Dragon and was hooked immediately. I felt the battle system was a lot like Persona 5 but that's not a bad thing whatsoever. Dash in the goofi-ness and its such an absurd, quirky and memorable title.

The Tokyo Game Show is in September so I'm interested to what they'll unveil. There was that story a few months back where they realized they had a lot of lucrative game franchises.

danielwest
noob

Post#30 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:17 am

Nemu wrote:
dark wrote:Many of the people who grew up with their classic franchises and consoles in the 90s are no longer following/buying video games.fm whatsapp

But that doesn't explain why series like Mario and Pokemon are still popular. Perhaps SEGA has failed/is failing to attract new players.

May be the explanation is that SEGA doesn't provide it's user's that satisfaction by it's franchise's which Mario and Pokemon franchise's still providing...