Why is "evreyone" so critical now towards older games

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Why is "evreyone" so critical now towards older games

Post#1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm

weird topic but something i thought be interesting to bring up. was wondering why do you think everyone one and the internet is so critical towards the Dreamcast & its games now. Was binning this up because iv been watching a lot of videos from around 07-10, back then most people where really positive towards most of the dc games. Now there is this whole "aged well" stuff that everyone says. 7 years a go it was just considered a great game, sure some people had a few complaints with games (every game has a few) but now people always have to compare them to"Modern" games and seem to be more on a negative side. I know where all supposed to have an opinion and respect it, but i miss the community from around 2009 where its was so positive :D sorry if this seams like a rant and not blaming anyone here or anything (its just how the internet has changed) but i do miss all the positive's. What do you think? :)
Last edited by itsthinkingstill on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Why is evreyone so critical now?

Post#2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Total agreed everyone is a modern whore now er they claim to be fan but only emulated

In gaming there's no such thing as once good , ALWAYS GOOD

Fuck a storage , all my consoles stay plugged , heck I've got the fat PS1 fat PS2 and PS3 super slim and the 1+2 gets more use =}

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 pm

i havent noticed this..

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I've seem videos where a few people talk about how a game has not aged well. But I agree that once you feel it is a great game it is always a great game.

I wasn't in the dreamcast community in 09 to know what it was like. Heck I didn't even have internet until like 6 years ago.

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 pm

SNOWFLAKES

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 pm

To me its always hard to compare a "retro" game to today's and judge it. Its like comparing films from the 30's to now. Sure Snow Write doesn't have all the bells and whistle's of today's garbage but it had to start somewhere. Walt had to start the ball rolling with the first Animated film, first Sound cartoon, first true widescreen film, first color cartoon, first them park or even a prototype city to make the world a better place. Sure we do all those things and do it better, of course but just because something was a pioneering does not mean it sucks and cant be enjoyed now. Sure when you get down to it Sa1, Pso and Shenmue are dated compared to the modern equivalents. But how would we get there without trying? and for that i think most games from that time need a little more positively towards them for inventing the wheel for modern video games. Again i dont mean this to be a rant or anything just something i thought would be interesting to bring up :D 8-)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Why is "evreyone" so critical now towards older games

Post#7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm just a fan of the arcade style of game. I am busy person so I don't ever finish long story games. Games like super RUNABOUT, Sega marine fishing, Ooga booga, Monaco and rush 2049 are perfect for me.

PkR
rebel

Post#8 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:07 pm

I think after videos like AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd) got popular it sort of became a trend to rant about old games, no matter if they are actually good or not. Another problem is that people who don't own a Dreamcast play the PC/Gamecube/PS2/whatever ports and assume those are the same as Dreamcast games, which isn't always the case. Sonic Adventure games in particular have suffered a lot from this, with pretty terrible Gamecube and even worse PC/nextgen console ports that have awful lighting, texture and sound quality downgrades and removed effects. SA1 for example is a very flawed game, but with the colorful and charming atmosphere of the Dreamcast version it's easily an 8/10 game. Replace that with the meh graphics of the 2004 port and all you have left is glitches. They basically remade the strongest areas of the game to make it look worse while not improving the weakest areas (bugs/collision) at all. I believe this is where the majority of "SA1 hasn't aged well" complaints are coming from.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:00 am

PkR wrote:I think after videos like AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd) got popular it sort of became a trend to rant about old games, not matter if they are actually good or not. Another problem is that people who don't own a Dreamcast play the PC/Gamecube/PS2/whatever ports and assume those are the same as Dreamcast games, which isn't always the case. Sonic Adventure games in particular have suffered a lot from this, with pretty terrible Gamecube and even worse PC/nextgen console ports that have awful lighting, texture and sound quality downgrades and removed effects. SA1 for example is a very flawed game, but with the colorful and charming atmosphere of the Dreamcast version it's easily an 8/10 game. Replace that with the meh graphics of the 2004 port and all you have left is glitches. They basically remade the strongest areas of the game to make it look worse while not improving the weakest areas (bugs/collision) at all. I believe this is where the majority of "SA1 hasn't aged well" complaints are coming from.

And dont forget about the collision detection! and with the dlc and world rankings the dc version is wayyy better. But im hearing more and more people bash other dc games is what i meant :D one video that was super positive that if was redone now probably be way more negative is from 2008 and its screwattacks top 10 dc videos. while it was all in composite it had so much energy how could you not be pumped for some dc?

krssn
Metallic

Post#10 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 am

itsthinkingstill wrote:Sure when you get down to it Sa1, Pso and Shenmue are dated compared to the modern equivalents. But how would we get there without trying? and for that i think most games from that time need a little more positively towards them for inventing the wheel for modern video games.

Dated or not, I bought a stack of JP Saturn games a few days ago and I've been having more fun with them than is healthy. Who knew Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo was such an addictive game... :lol:

mrneo240 wrote:I'm just a fan of the arcade style of game.

That's exactly the feeling these Saturn games give me.

As for the graphics being dated. Older doesn't necessarily mean uglier. They are just different.

Some 16-bit games have gorgeous graphics or effects. Take Batman & Robin for instance.

No modern game will look better. Sharper yes, better no.