Sony Trinitron help

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

K0rN b4LL
fire

Sony Trinitron help

Post#1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 pm

I got a Sony Trinitron KV-27V35 crt from my Grandma's house yesterday and there is a nice hole in the plastic above the screen. Anyone know a good way to fill that in? The tv works fine it just bugs me with that hole there.
20180812_140901_Film1-1.jpg

Also does anyone know if this model can be modded for RGB or Component inputs? It only has AV and S-video and I've been kinda spoiled using component on my ps2 and og xbox.

krssn
Metallic

Re: Sony Trinitron help

Post#2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 am

You could solder weld the crack, then fill the hole with a mixture of super glue and baking soda.

And be careful. Always discharge the anode cap before working on a CRT.

Unless you wanna fry yourself...

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Man mine's bums me too just an s-vid and in the back but it's massive but the scanlines are very minimal pretty hard to notice! Love that

CRT Collective on.. *drumroll* Facebrag may very well know what to do with that and your interests. Me I'll jus look for a another boobtube for component

MrTamkis
rebel

Post#4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 am

You might be able to find additional RGB TV modding information for that particular CRT at either CRT Gaming Subreddit or shmups.system11 forums. As krssn said, you should always discharge the CRT before doing any servicing/modding and only if you really know what you are doing. Recall that CRTs can have a capacitance in the multiple Farad range (high enough to hold a charge for years and kill you).

If no RGB mods are available, I'd keep an eye out for either a cheap moddable CRT, a Sony BVM/PVM, or an IDC34 RGB Multi Input monitor. Sony BVM/PVM CRTs have BNC connectors for RGBs/RGBHV inputs, while IDC34 monitors (such as the Sony ProFeel KX-2501a or certain NEC monitors) have a proprietary IDC34 floppy port. This port has all of the signals available for a RGB setup, and a DIY circuit can be created to interface SCART or BNC (RGBHV+RCA Audio) to the floppy port.

I have a Sony KX-2501a that I found for dirt cheap, and RGB works spectacularly with such an interface circuit.
DreamPi DX NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

XBandPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Project page

"Industrial-Strength" LVI (DIY)
Forum thread
Blog article

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#5 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks guys.

Would I need to do the discharge for filling the hole as well or is that just for when modding?

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:33 pm

K0rN b4LL wrote:Thanks guys.

Would I need to do the discharge for filling the hole as well or is that just for when modding?

In both cases. Unless you can do the repairs from the outside without opening the case.

CRTs are scary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-9NTyBAXnk

Return to “Off Topic”