Cyber Razor Cut - SEGA Mega Drive

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Roareye
Rank 9

Cyber Razor Cut - SEGA Mega Drive

Post#1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:32 pm

Barber 001 Restored.jpg

For those outside of the UK, or too young to remember 1992, Cyber Razor Cut was the TV advertising campaign that SEGA used to dominate Nintendo in the gaming space. It went hard on the cyberpunk imagery, imitating many key elements of Terminator 2 (Most notably the scene where Sarah Connor resets the Terminator's CPU, the Terminator arm, red eye etc) whilst challenging the audience;
"What are you gonna do to keep up?"

This advert has some history with me, where I have been in contact with the original Director of Photography for the filming and attempted to get ahold of the original cinema film for a new transfer. Sadly this wasn't to be. However I did get the cleanest available copy of the advert off of Geoff Boyle (The original DoP) and used it to restore the image into 4K. This process took a week (For a minute long advert).

My review series will show this off on Tuesday at 5pm (GMT), however there are some preview screenshots available on my website for those interested. Not only has the film footage been through two AI Restoration processes (and some minor editing in post to keep them accurate to the original footage), but the entire end animation effects have been rebuilt to better enhance the detail and image quality.

Games Art Restored_000000.jpeg

This stuff takes a lot of work, so I do hope you guys will view it and let me know what you think.

SITE LINK: https://www.cyberpunkstudios.co.uk/cyberrazorcut

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Cyber Razor Cut - SEGA Mega Drive

Post#2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm

The video has now been released!

Watch the restoration here, exclusive to Cyberpunk Studios;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlNqRIkeco

Here's a sample of the quality boost;
Compareimg1.jpg

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:30 pm

https://youtu.be/jVJOcDt5G2M

Uploaded it in full 4K resolution, on it's own. Just a nice clean 4K copy of the original ad.

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#4 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Nice! Brings back memories... of parents being too tight and my only having a Master System :lol:

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#5 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Great work!

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks guys ^_^

I'm doing more of these. I've just done a VHS Tape transfer from a 1994 Spanish promo video, and it has some awesome things in it. Restoring it will be quite different as much of it is game footage (which will need to be re-recorded as my restoration software doesn't do game footage very well) and lots of visual effects that would be better rebuilt from scratch. I'm also rebuilding the soundtrack by replacing the audio with fresh versions of the music.

Here's some previews of that tape;
spanishvhs_021345.jpeg
FemaleSonic.jpg

spanishvhs_002363.jpeg
AlienNest.jpg

spanishvhs_022750.jpeg
SEGAParis1.jpg