Why are a lot of forums still super-touchy about providing sources to download games?

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

SolidSonicTH
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online (maybe?)
Alien Front Online (hopefully)

Why are a lot of forums still super-touchy about providing sources to download games?

Post by SolidSonicTH »

Someone has to say it.

Like we are talking about 20+ year old consoles here. Is there REALLY any harm in providing locations where to get games anymore? Seriously? You want to protect the interest of your hobby you might as well be as accommodating as possible.

It's like a relic of an age gone by.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Why are a lot of forums still super-touchy about providing sources to download games?

Post by mazonemayu »

Because it’s illegal :lol:

Neanderthal bones are also a relic of an age gone by, but what do you think they do with you if you steal some? ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Re: Why are a lot of forums still super-touchy about providing sources to download games?

Post by SolidSonicTH »

I might be more understanding if they weren't trying to bring undue attention to themselves by allowing people to share downloads (although I don't think some small forum is going to dredge up any attention) but the real annoyance comes from how they tend to be more about some kind of moral responsibility to not share download links. Really?

Retro-45
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Trying them all

Post by Retro-45 »

And they don’t want the lawyers on there rear and ruin the community, look at Nintendo for example and how ruthless they can be. And you don’t want the home page full of “where’s game x to download ?” This community is more of a hub for everything dreamcast: homebrew, online play, technical discusses, and just hanging out in general. We just happen to have a download section. Just look at the roms and those kind of subreddits. We don”t want it turned into that.

Thats just my 2 cents

Roareye
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu Rocket, Quake 3, Monaco GP 2, PSO, Planet Ring, Toy Racer, Worms World Party

Post by Roareye »

SolidSonicTH wrote:I might be more understanding if they weren't trying to bring undue attention to themselves by allowing people to share downloads (although I don't think some small forum is going to dredge up any attention) but the real annoyance comes from how they tend to be more about some kind of moral responsibility to not share download links. Really?
With what little respect or care these retro games are often given by their copyright holders, downloading ROMs is a preservation of art.

However you also need to be aware that, while you may hold that view too, legally we have no rights to share game ROMs. And while you might think a big company like Sega would care little for our relatively small community - believe me, they will care if we become a ROM sharing hotbed. They have a dedicated legal department, who have nothing but time to waste suing our forum into the floor. Will they realistically get any money from that? No. But it could (and likely would) destroy this community.

We actually get away with quite a bit here, let's not get overzealous and ruin what we have for the sake of ROMs that are actually easily accessible elsewhere.

WedgeStratos
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: From AFO to WebTV

Post by WedgeStratos »

Also remember that just because the Dreamcast, and its games are 20 years old, that doesn't mean the companies behind them have stopped keeping up with those IPs. In fact, we've seen a good number of HD remasters of games from this generation, including from Sega themselves.

And regardless, in some nations, piracy in any capacity, be it downloading it or even the act of backing your game up for your own sake, is illegal.

I personally believe that format shifting is perfectly valid, but my beliefs hold no value to the government. Regardless, if a game I have on my GDemu is available on Steam, or GOG, or Xbox or whatever, I'll pull my card out and pay the money, knowing it's gone to the rightsholders in some way. I have no qualms doing that. Pay for your games when you can, no matter how old.

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post by SolidSonicTH »

Actually I'm pretty sure this site isn't as stringent as some of the other communities I've ventured to.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

What did I miss?

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

There's an argument that as soon as you know about the internet archive or the roms subreddit. most of the questions about sourcing roms evaporate but I'm right behind everyone trying to maintain a community and if that means links are discouraged, then so be it. I'm big enough and old enough to use google myself. Gone are the days of undergroundgamer and even pleasuredome where you can just get a nice torrent for what you need but it's not too hard if anyone spends about 10 mins of actually looking for what they want.

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post by SolidSonicTH »

Roareye wrote: However you also need to be aware that, while you may hold that view too, legally we have no rights to share game ROMs. And while you might think a big company like Sega would care little for our relatively small community - believe me, they will care if we become a ROM sharing hotbed. They have a dedicated legal department, who have nothing but time to waste suing our forum into the floor. Will they realistically get any money from that? No. But it could (and likely would) destroy this community.
While that is true, presumably the forum isn't hosting the content either. The users are just exchanging where to find a specific game if someone casually were to ask.

Again, as I see it the intent is more to keep people interested in the platform at a time where new copies can't be had and used copies are at the whim of an ever-changing market. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to expose people to new and interesting games.

Plus my copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 seems to have disc-rotted so I can't get it to be consistently playable anymore.