What a Dreamcast Mini could look like using a Raspberry Pi4

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

dubcity
Super Sonic

What a Dreamcast Mini could look like using a Raspberry Pi4

Post#1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Interesting. I wonder what the official Sega version will look like compared to this. He can't play the wince games cuz he is using mostly flycast. We talk about Dreamcast has a small fanbase of 300 that buy indie games but this guy is unknown and has over 10k views on this. There are DC users out there.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Re: What a Dreamcast Mini could look like using a Raspberry Pi4

Post#2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:44 pm

I'm telling you, if they ever do make a DC mini, it better have some sort of VMU support. Doesn't even have to be on the controller, just something to put your VMU into. Maybe you can upload VMU contents to the Dreamcast and download it externally. For instance, a Chao could be uploaded to the system's storage, then plugging in a VMU uploads the Chao to your VMU. Depending on how they design this, it can prevent the problem of the VMU awkwardly sticking out on the system.

With all of this, I also hope they resell some VMUs in their original packaging style in stores for the hypothetically mini, it'd be cool to see that shit on store shelves again.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 am

Londinium wrote:I'm telling you, if they ever do make a DC mini, it better have some sort of VMU support. Doesn't even have to be on the controller, just something to put your VMU into. Maybe you can upload VMU contents to the Dreamcast and download it externally. For instance, a Chao could be uploaded to the system's storage, then plugging in a VMU uploads the Chao to your VMU. Depending on how they design this, it can prevent the problem of the VMU awkwardly sticking out on the system.

With all of this, I also hope they resell some VMUs in their original packaging style in stores for the hypothetically mini, it'd be cool to see that shit on store shelves again.

I'm not sure a small mini would have space to insert vmu. Most emulators now create fake vmu's to save to.

The question at this point is what are Sega plans for a mini? How much effort are they going to put into it since it might be their last chance to make money off of any type of hardware with Dreamcast name on it.

I'm fascinated by the idea of it and quite frankly see these small emulated systems competing against our real console at some point.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 am

dubcity wrote:
Londinium wrote:I'm telling you, if they ever do make a DC mini, it better have some sort of VMU support. Doesn't even have to be on the controller, just something to put your VMU into. Maybe you can upload VMU contents to the Dreamcast and download it externally. For instance, a Chao could be uploaded to the system's storage, then plugging in a VMU uploads the Chao to your VMU. Depending on how they design this, it can prevent the problem of the VMU awkwardly sticking out on the system.

I'm not sure a small mini would have space to insert vmu. Most emulators now create fake vmu's to save to.

The question at this point is what are Sega plans for a mini? How much effort are they going to put into it since it might be their last chance to make money off of any type of hardware with Dreamcast name on it.

I'm fascinated by the idea of it and quite frankly see these small emulated systems competing against our real console at some point.

I'd assume the VMU slot thing would be located at the back on the console, or, hear me out, with how much detail they put into the Mega Drive mini (little cartridge slot, Tower of Power) the VMU slot could be located inside a removable modem. A modem shell would be attached to the mini via the VMU outlets, just pop the modem shell out and attach your VMU to the mini to transfer some stuff before popping the modem shell back in (and for even greater immersion, make it hard as fuck to take it out).

As for everything else? I assume it's going to be very similar to the Mega Drive mini but with a Dreamcast coat of paint. It would be interesting to see their take on the Dreamcast's online capabilities, if they even bother with it. Games? It would either be a holy grail or PS1-Classic-sized disappointment, you can never really tell with Sega.

In a perfect world, Sega would add not only VMU support, but online capabilities. Biggest drawback is, how are we gonna get more games? I fully expect external game adding programs like the ProjectLunar to be used, but when the mini's space is full, what then? Would we be willing to sacrifice our game library for ease of use? Will Sega suck us out dry by selling a CD reader for the mini, forcing us to buy more VMUs? Am I overthinking?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 am

with out the vmu screen there's little point it will be emulator so it be just emulated vmu space not going fullspeed on all games with pi4 at all they pick the less demanding games ..