Any developer knows if an APK Android has ever been ported to DC ?

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Any developer knows if an APK Android has ever been ported to DC ?

Post#1 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Hi: I want to know if an Android APK format simple game has ever been ported to DC ? I have a game in my country is very popular and if this can happens would make a Dreamcast resurrection because the game is controversial and has politics matters

thank you
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Re: Any developer knows if an APK Android has ever been ported to DC ?

Post#2 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm

You could rewrite the engine for the DC and get the assets from the Android version and adapt them to fit the DC's memory.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

cast128dreams
minority

Post#3 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 pm

Hey i was wondering the same thing.There are tones and tones android version for older samsung phones with lowwwww specs.Symbian os for old nokia phones also it would great port .IT WILL OPEN UP and UPDATE DREAMCAST BROWSING youtube .chat
Facebook....opera mini and other small apk apps

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#4 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:46 pm

Not that I don't want to entertain the possibility, but I need to level your expectations using plastic explosives of logic and knowledge. This is simply impossible.

You should consider the "low" specifications of old mobile devices, because unless we're talking Nokia N-Gage, what you think is low-spec is still quite ahead of the Dreamcast. The first retail Android phone was the HTC Dream in September 2008. Its specs? A 528MHz ARM11 processor, and 192MB of RAM. Even decompiling an APK to get its source code is out of the question, because you'll be stuck with a Java based manifest. There's still no Java virtual machine that exists on Dreamcast, and Android's implementation of Java is fairly specific.

Scale your expectations back a ways. Here's my recommendation https://github.com/mupfdev/Rifts Released for the N-Gage in 2005, Rifts: Promise of Power is based on the WH40K property, This is just to build a DRM-free version still intended for the N-Gage, but the person behind it was working to port the title to SDL2 (he got hung up on the renderer apparently) which would make it possible to play on a number of devices if it ever comes to pass. If there's any games that could be viable, it's in the N-Gage catalog.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:07 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Not that I don't want to entertain the possibility, but I need to level your expectations using plastic explosives of logic and knowledge. This is simply impossible.

You should consider the "low" specifications of old mobile devices, because unless we're talking Nokia N-Gage, what you think is low-spec is still quite ahead of the Dreamcast. The first retail Android phone was the HTC Dream in September 2008. Its specs? A 528MHz ARM11 processor, and 192MB of RAM. Even decompiling an APK to get its source code is out of the question, because you'll be stuck with a Java based manifest. There's still no Java virtual machine that exists on Dreamcast, and Android's implementation of Java is fairly specific.

Scale your expectations back a ways. Here's my recommendation https://github.com/mupfdev/Rifts Released for the N-Gage in 2005, Rifts: Promise of Power is based on the WH40K property, This is just to build a DRM-free version still intended for the N-Gage, but the person behind it was working to port the title to SDL2 (he got hung up on the renderer apparently) which would make it possible to play on a number of devices if it ever comes to pass. If there's any games that could be viable, it's in the N-Gage catalog.

Well said java virtual machine would run so slow on a Dreamcast it would make your eyes water .. I dont think people get the DC is very low powered embedded system ..

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#6 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:10 pm

So no chance of Rally Master Pro on Dreamcast!

Helen09
noob

Post#7 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:41 am

We got 4x4 Jam that was a android game

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:01 pm

I always considered that a PSP game but yes it was on android too. Another game that got ported from mobile was an IOS game back in 2009 that was inspired by Lumines called Irides: Master of Blocks. It even had a 3D block that rotated on the title screen. I always thought that game was ported over fairly easily as at the time IOS devices used PVR graphics just like the Dreamcast. So in all honesty, if people REALLY want to see easier ports to DC, look for open sourced IOS games from the early days, The specs were somewhat comparable to Dreamcast in those days with the exception of way more RAM, but it would make a lot more sense trying to port over games from that platform and that era instead of modern Android games. Remember, Android and IOS games from this day and age are light years more advanced than Dreamcast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irides:_Master_of_Blocks

Edit: For sure these games would make for good candidates if the developers could be contacted who knows maybe they would let somebody port them over to Dreamcast?

https://www.techradar.com/features/18-g ... still-play

I just found a list of open sourced IOS games that was written in 2012 so definitely includes super early games that could work.

https://maniacdev.com/open-source-ios-g ... -app-store

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#10 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:57 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Not that I don't want to entertain the possibility, but I need to level your expectations using plastic explosives of logic and knowledge. This is simply impossible.

Thank you
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-