modern games what if made then

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

GoblinThighs
noob

modern games what if made then

Post#1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:09 pm

Is there any modern games you wonder what it would've been like on the dreamcast? :)

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: modern games what if made then

Post#2 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:06 pm

I used to think about this. But now that we're 20+ years on, modern games are just too different to visualize how they would work on DC without enormous cut downs. All that large open world stuff that's popular these days wouldn't work out so well with 16MB of ram.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:03 pm

The thing is, the Dreamcast is so old and technology has advanced rapidly. Essentially every modern game today would have to be de-made to some extent to even run properly.

If you're talking about modern games being made during and for the Dreamcast era, I'd say Sonic Mania could possibly run. The game is 186MB, which I believe can fit on a CD. Issue is it uses 2GB of ram, so it'd need to be cut down in that department. Maybe even Sonic Origins could run.

Maybe Portal 1? Though I don't know if the portals would be able to run on the system, at the very least I'd expect some frame drops while looking into one.

Maybe even a shooter like Team Fortress Classic could run.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:35 pm

the otherway around XD

Hamcha
noob

Post#5 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:32 am

There's a whole trend of "demaking" games to PS1 style for either humor or challenge, so it's not really dreamcast but it gets sorta close?

The biggest one is definitely Bloodborne PSX: https://b0tster.itch.io/bbpsx

Humor wise I really love Jarl Balgruuf from Skyrim as MGS' Psycho Mantis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz34Jc3eKSY

Egregore
core

Post#6 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:32 pm

Not really a modern game, but I always wondered what City of Heroes (2004) would have looked like on Dreamcast, with the broadband adaptor, mouse and keyboard of course. It would've been even better than PSO if done right!

Spleet
dark night

Post#7 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:44 pm

Londinium wrote:
Maybe Portal 1?

Check out James Lambert on YouTube. He's built a functional engine for the Nintendo 64 with functioning portals. They render 3 worlds deep while managing to maintain 20fps. There's builds that render portals infinitely that still run about 10fps depending on the scene. It's really wild to try out.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#8 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:39 pm

dark wrote:I used to think about this. But now that we're 20+ years on, modern games are just too different to visualize how they would work on DC without enormous cut downs. All that large open world stuff that's popular these days wouldn't work out so well with 16MB of ram.

certainly true, but stuff like Deathsmiles shouls still be possible I think
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Roel
Developer

Post#9 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:55 am

Londinium wrote:If you're talking about modern games being made during and for the Dreamcast era, I'd say Sonic Mania could possibly run. The game is 186MB, which I believe can fit on a CD. Issue is it uses 2GB of ram, so it'd need to be cut down in that department.

Sonic Mania doesn't do anything that strictly requires that much RAM. If SEGA hadn't made the mistake of wasting their efforts on the never-completed Sonic Xtreme, Sonic Mania is exactly what Sonic could have been like on the Saturn. Dreamcast could run it without breaking a sweat.

Axel85
lithium

Post#10 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:19 pm

Also limbo and cuphead would be cool and . With sonic mania are the ones that could be more feasible on dreamcast