Nintendo wins lawsuit against file hoster 1fichier

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

thedemon1238
lithium

Re: Nintendo wins lawsuit against file hoster 1fichier

Post#21 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:42 am

Chat GPT sounds like a very smart teacher. :lol:

I did a little more serious research and it turns out that 30 years is not that long for the law protecting the video games.

"For the most part, games published in the United States are copyrighted for 95 years from publication. This means that the first commercial non-arcade video games will enter the public domain in the US on January 1, 2073, when copyright on the early Atari 2600 games expires."

We have a long way to go... :lol: If video games had existed in 1923, they would be legally free by now.

Of course, the question remains why bother doing more new things when you can make money from work that was done 10-20-30 and even 40 years ago. I know that collections with emulated games are still the work of programmers, Nintendo's mini consoles also cost money to produce... But with them you know what you're paying for. You pay for the collection and the ability to play them on specific hardware. You pay for the hardware in the NES mini console. No one pays specifically for roms and no one ever buys only roms. I just don't see how letting the roms circulate freely on the net is going to reduce sales of the collections for new platforms or dedicated mini consoles.

But they own the games, they own the rights... they can do whatever they want with them after all.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#22 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 pm

So this game is released to switch now. First console port ever I believe. Its a strider ripoff thats hard as hell since it was made for arcades and to eat up your quarters. They release it for 30 bucks. Great for the IP owner but good luck making money off that. Releases like this one are what piss people off.

moi
blackout!

Post#23 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
Chat gpt says

While it is understandable that people may feel nostalgic about old games and not want to pay for them again, it is important to consider that game developers and publishers invest significant resources into creating and marketing their games, regardless of when they were made. It is not unreasonable for them to want to protect their intellectual property and earn revenue from their work, even if it is from old games.

Moreover, just because a game is old does not mean it is no longer valuable. Many classic games continue to be enjoyed by gamers today and have even been remastered or re-released on modern platforms. These games can still provide a source of revenue for game companies, which can be used to fund new game development.

It is also worth noting that many game companies, including Nintendo, have released collections or bundles of their classic games, which provide a more cost-effective way for consumers to access these titles.

In conclusion, while it is understandable to feel nostalgic about old games, it is important to recognize that game companies have the right to protect their intellectual property and earn revenue from their work, regardless of when it was created. Instead of advocating for piracy or expecting these games to be given away for free, gamers can support game companies by purchasing official releases or collections, which can provide a source of revenue for new game development.

What does chatgpt say about the copyright status of your Turtles collection?

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#24 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:07 am

This Is All About Securing The Full Gaming Catalogue. Emulating has been such a thing for decades now, end of the day only way you can play the real thing.

I'll pick on Tekken 3, okay Namco can pay up Jeffery Dean Morgan fee but can't pay up for Gon?! Till this day the console version off Tekken 3 can only survive through printed discs alone from 1998. Play arcade version or play on emulator or Bleemcast it. Namco failed to port this title to current consoles.

I could point out Licensing & outright neglect from the past has out right ruined getting everything Remastered today.

Pick on Outrun 2006. Sega not paying up for the Ferrari Licensing no more but the game held hostage by high prices. Guess the same applies for Ferrari f355 Challenge ever getting a Remaster too. We know what would happen to Outrun if Sega removes the licensing we have another Crazy Taxi off a mess. Shenmue real products was heavily removed oh not the same is it?!

Who saving the Sega 32x or Acclaim Catalogue? Who saving the Demo Discs from the past? Do you honestly believe Sony would release a Net Yaroze collection?

Who would remaster BMX XXX today?!

Okay just keep hold off your physicals no matter what!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:34 am

moi wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
Chat gpt says

While it is understandable that people may feel nostalgic about old games and not want to pay for them again, it is important to consider that game developers and publishers invest significant resources into creating and marketing their games, regardless of when they were made. It is not unreasonable for them to want to protect their intellectual property and earn revenue from their work, even if it is from old games.

Moreover, just because a game is old does not mean it is no longer valuable. Many classic games continue to be enjoyed by gamers today and have even been remastered or re-released on modern platforms. These games can still provide a source of revenue for game companies, which can be used to fund new game development.

It is also worth noting that many game companies, including Nintendo, have released collections or bundles of their classic games, which provide a more cost-effective way for consumers to access these titles.

In conclusion, while it is understandable to feel nostalgic about old games, it is important to recognize that game companies have the right to protect their intellectual property and earn revenue from their work, regardless of when it was created. Instead of advocating for piracy or expecting these games to be given away for free, gamers can support game companies by purchasing official releases or collections, which can provide a source of revenue for new game development.

What does chatgpt say about the copyright status of your Turtles collection?

While fan-made creations like the TMNT collection for Dreamcast may be created with good intentions and provide a way for fans to experience classic games, they still utilize copyrighted material without permission and can potentially harm the revenue streams and intellectual property rights of the original creators. It is always better to support official releases and respect the intellectual property rights of game developers and publishers.

Thank you for clarifying that Ian Michael is not hosting the TMNT collection for Dreamcast. However, my stance on respecting the intellectual property rights of game developers and publishers still stands. Fan-made creations can potentially harm the revenue streams and intellectual property rights of the original creators, regardless of whether they are being hosted or distributed by the creator themselves or by third-party sites. While it may be tempting to experience classic games through fan-made creations, it is important to support official releases and respect the intellectual property rights of game developers and publishers.

this what chat gpt says lol

moi
blackout!

Post#26 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:24 am

Can't argue with that :)

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#27 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:50 pm

I was talking to my brother about some of this the other day. With Nintendo Shutting down their E-Shops for Wii-U and 3ds for Purchasing New games you can no longer expand that library and play in 3d (yes I do play in 3d lol) I think if they wanted to be more ethical they would just leave the store open and just bargain bin all the digital versions leaving the store up and cover costs with the really low prices. I do understand costs to secure the servers payment compliance etc. I believe the current DMCA laws aren't flexible enough for digital. If a company no longer maintains the online servers or shops to get the media on the hardware they are willing to support I don't think DMCA should come into play. In my opinion there is a big difference of providing iso's for games that can be purchased today from commercial channels vs getting an iso and emulating using a computer or flashcart. I even understand some of the argument of you can buy Mario on Switch so no you can't emulate it. I think I have seen something like this for translation projects where people would host translations until the official retail version is available in that language.
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Pirateninjasaur
shadow

Post#28 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:21 am

Hmm