Nintendo 64!!!

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Nintendo 64!!!

Post#11 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm

I re-visited the rumble pak, official, booted up Star Fox and what the FUCK!

After fucking with so many CRTs lol I don't think anything jolts me no more, although I think the amount of force feedback varies by title? Like even 1st party Dreamcast titles barely rattle me but something about Toy Story 2 makes it almost beast Metal Gear also up there

EDIT: Also had $ offers from Canada so somehow I offer international sales? o.0

allbushnopush
shadow

Post#12 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

The legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time
The legend of Zelda, Majora's mask
Operation Winback
Mission Impossible
Castlevania 64
Paper Mario
Nightmare Creatures
Rush 2
Army Men, Sarge's Heroes
Jetforce Gemini
Resident Evil 2 (Windows version is best though. lol)
use Gameshark to disable Anti-Aliasing!

Fox702
shadow

Post#13 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 am

Do you guys own an N64 and Dreamcast? I was close to buying an N64 but got a Dreamcast instead. I would've loved to play some N64 mods on the real thing.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#14 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 am

Fox702 wrote:Do you guys own an N64 and Dreamcast? I was close to buying an N64 but got a Dreamcast instead. I would've loved to play some N64 mods on the real thing.

I have both and play them all the time, but to be honest their libraries are very different from each other outside of the roughly 45 or so games they both have in common. Buying a Dreamcast definitely wouldn't make the N64 obsolete, and vice versa.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:36 am

I have to back out from promoting 64drive, the dude is an absolute trash. I mean years he has collected payments and nothing (much less refunds..) and whenever he edits page with a message always the same *whimper* to go dark for years again

Everdrive, fuck marshall's silky menuing (I do want Everdrive and test 200gb Sandisk!? Since the Goodset extracts around 128 maybe a bit more and the mods and protos really carry weight. Glad I tested one on Everdrive GBA and it indeed jus works!)

retro
lithium

Post#16 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Just got my very first N64 earlier this week, fully setup with N64Digital, Everdrive 64 X5, Brawler64 wireless controller, and the Expansion Pak.

I had never played an N64 prior to this, outside of some choppy emulation on my i3 PC.

The N64Digital is absolutely amazing, and most of the N64's trademark smearing is gone thanks to its Deblur feature. And most games look gorgeous upscaled to 1200p on my LG OLED.

SG6K
rebel

Post#17 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:40 pm

The N64 is such a weird console.

I think it's the most unfairly maligned and misunderstood Nintendo home console of them all. It's certainly the only one I find interesting enough to have permanently hooked up.

I didn't care for it back in the day and only originally picked one up for the three Treasure games circa 2001. I still regard Sin and Punishment as the greatest rail-shooter type game ever made two decades down the line (sorry Panzer Dragoon Orta). F-Zero X: Expansion Kit is still incredible.

And Bangaioh holds up too. It's far superior to the Dreamcast version for my money despite its aesthetic improvements and legendarily hilarious localisation.

Other favourites include recent fan translations such as the Cubivore prototype and Shiren 2 but honestly I struggle recommending a lot for this system because of so little of its library ever appealed to me.

Like I said, it's a weird system - but slowly exploring it's kusoge-heavy library of mostly underbaked & ROM-space-starved curiosities has been something I've really enjoyed.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#18 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:00 am

SG6K wrote:I think it's the most unfairly maligned and misunderstood Nintendo home console of them all.

I remember for about a decade or so following its release, it actually used to be one of the most well regarded Nintendo consoles, but lately it's starting to get some hate for reasons that aren't really its fault

-Nintendo handles N64 rereleases very poorly, by giving us tiny selections of games with major control issues
-If you don't want to play on a CRT, then it's one of the more difficult systems to get a good setup for
-Many people insist on using alternate controllers/analog sticks that don't have anywhere near the proper feel/level of sensitivity, leading to worse controls
-Emulation for this thing is still so shaky that I think even Saturn emulation might be overall better by now

N64 definitely has its flaws and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I wonder how many of its detractors might see it in a new light if they actually played with a period accurate setup. Unlike most other old consoles, I've never really been satisfied playing N64 unless it was on real hardware, on a CRT, using an original controller in good shape. Playing Mario 64 and F Zero X on my Wii was just painful with how messed up the analog controls were, and if that was my first exposure to this console, I'd probably not be interested in playing much more of it.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:06 am

mistamontiel wrote:I have to back out from promoting 64drive, the dude is an absolute trash. I mean years he has collected payments and nothing (much less refunds..) and whenever he edits page with a message always the same *whimper* to go dark for years again

Yeah, retroactive has been pretty bad about that. Both 64drive and ultrahdmi were expensive and hard to even purchase, with people sitting on waiting lists for years with very little communication and still not getting anything. It's just one guy making that stuff, and he seems to have bit off much more than he can chew.

retro
lithium

Post#20 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Ragfish wrote:N64 definitely has its flaws and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I wonder how many of its detractors might see it in a new light if they actually played with a period accurate setup. Unlike most other old consoles, I've never really been satisfied playing N64 unless it was on real hardware, on a CRT, using an original controller in good shape. Playing Mario 64 and F Zero X on my Wii was just painful with how messed up the analog controls were, and if that was my first exposure to this console, I'd probably not be interested in playing much more of it.

Absolutely agree with you on this point!

N64 emulation was such a pain in the butt, I even went as far to buy a USB N64-style controller, but I just wasn't satisfied with the outcome.

I have tried injecting N64 ROMs using the UWUVCI AIO tool for the Wii U, and the N64 VC emulator is very poor. Outside of the small handful of games that were officially released, not many games were playable. The only ones I could get working were Beetle Adventure Racing and Wonder Project J 2.

It's only with the availability of the N64Digital kit did I decide to finally get the real console.

I'm currently using a Brawler64 wireless controller with it, and do not have problems with the few games I tested (Mario Kart 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Mace: The Dark Age, Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Cruis'n USA, Killer Instinct Gold, DOOM 64)

I'm the type that leave every single console I have permanently hooked up, and it's on my shelf now next to my GameCube, and below my Wii and Wii U.