xbox 360 HD cable questions

Talk about Xbox Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

xbox 360 HD cable questions

Post#1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:50 pm

i just got an older HD tv for my games. i needed one that had a CRT for my old school light gun games and i also wanted 480p for my Dreamcast VGA cable. the TV has all of that with the help of a few adapters. the trouble is that the tv only has component inputs. i already found a component to VGA adapter. so all that is left is to find a way to get my 360 to use the 1080i resolution that the TV supports.

now what i need to know is what is the best way to do this? can i get 1080i out of the components via the normal port on the 360? or do i have to get some kind of HDMI adapter to convert the signal into this TV's component input?

edit
after a little bit of research it looks like i can use the normal AV port with an xbox 360 component cable. i think the HDMI port is for 1080p? my TV only goes to 1080i, so i don't think i have a need for a HDMI cable?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: xbox 360 HD cable questions

Post#2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm

The older 20 gig and first gen Arcade 360's have no HDMI port, so the only way to play is in 1080i. :|

Now, the Elites all have HDMI, but not all games support 1080p, which is kinda dumb. When we had our older one we just used the component cables though, which work very good.

To make a long story short, I dont think you could see 1080p even if you had the elite with the HDMI port on the back. I could be wrong though.

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#3 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:56 pm

i do get 1080p with elite and hmi cable on my hdtv. Pretty pointless though since all games are in 720p but..

Also, new models of the arcade bundle do also have a hdmi output. Dont know from the exact date, but the current have that im positive about that. A friend of mine send his arcade for repair and they send him one back refurbished with an hdmi output.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#4 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 am

My 360 has the hdmi port but my TVs max Rez is 1080i,
so i don't need to use the hdmi port.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#5 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 am

Gary_b wrote:My 360 has the hdmi port but my TVs max Rez is 1080i,

Just because you don't plan on using 1080p doesn't mean that you shouldn't use HDMI. Just like DVI vs VGA, there is a difference in video quality even if the resolution is the same. Digital video just looks a lot better than analog. And if you happen to use any audio equipment that supports HDMI the sound will also be much better.
Regards,
brourke228

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#6 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:02 pm

brourke228 wrote:
Gary_b wrote:My 360 has the hdmi port but my TVs max Rez is 1080i,

Just because you don't plan on using 1080p doesn't mean that you shouldn't use HDMI. Just like DVI vs VGA, there is a difference in video quality even if the resolution is the same. Digital video just looks a lot better than analog. And if you happen to use any audio equipment that supports HDMI the sound will also be much better.

Gary_b wrote: the TV has all of that with the help of a few adapters. the trouble is that the tv only has component inputs. i already found a component to VGA adapter. so all that is left is to find a way to get my 360 to use the 1080i resolution that the TV supports.

seems like HDMI is a waste of time for me. why the hell would i want to buy yet another converter? if what you say is true wouldn't a HDMI to Component converter cable just be down-converting the signal back to analog anyway?

i already have the component cable and it works fine in 1080i with Dolby 2.1 sound.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 am

Dr. Pariolo wrote:i do get 1080p with elite and hmi cable on my hdtv. Pretty pointless though since all games are in 720p but..

This isn't true at all, this is only true of many of the earliest releases. All 360 games that I've seen over the last two years have always been 1080p compatible, 1080i was the highest they went before we finally got HDMI ports, the only game I think I still have that only does 720p is Fusion Frenzy 2. I will check this when I get in but I'm 99.999% certain that all my recent titles do state on the case that they support 1080p
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc