Bad software thread

Talk about Xbox Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Bad software thread

Post#1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I didn't want to start a specific thread, since any number of titles could have problems.

I'm having trouble running Panzer Dragoon Orta on my "new" OG Xbox. Every screen is totally squished into bands of static and pixelation. The unit plays everything else in my library just fine. Anyone else had this problem?

This copy of Orta is also "new". I no longer have my original copy from years ago. If this were my original copy, I would suspect hardware issues instead.

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Re: Bad software thread

Post#2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Okay, apparently there was a dashboard update that killed 480p for this game. Known problem that was never fixed. Microsoft's last official word on it was, "Sorry, you'll have to use 480i."

Not a huge deal but it would be really nice to play this in a native widescreen without stretching the hell out of it. I suppose the only solid solution would be...to find a deadstock launch model and use it only for pre-Live games :roll:

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 pm

You could always play it on original hardware - I always preferred doing so specifically for classic xbox games. Some just are not playable, like outrun.

Also semi offtopic, but I love Panzer dragoon. Did you see the special edition white Panzer dragoon xbox? A damn expensive beast, but man I want one.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Yes, the white Panzer Xbox is awesome! It would be sweet to have one paired up with one those early white PS2 fatties. They'd be purely collection stuff though.

I'll wait for an auction on a deadstock launch model in the box. They can't really be worth $400usd, otherwise they wouldn't sit on sale for years. I'm sure an auction would catch more like a couple hundred bucks, tops.

It's a shame the dashboard updates kill it for Panzer Dragoon. It's one of the most gorgeous games ever for that system. More shameful yet is that Microsoft never patched it, because truly impressive Xbox games are very few and far between.

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 am

Well, may as well stay off-topic :lol:

Macabre, would you happen to know the later production dates I could shop for? Any unit with the OG dashboard would probably be fine.

My brother-in-law gave us his Xbox recently. I was very excited, because we bought it for him as a gift the same day we bought ours, shortly after launch. He rarely played the thing and never had a Live title. However, at some point he sent it in for some unnecessary warranty work and MS just sent him a refurbished later version :( So, I'm grateful for a nice thing, but my hopes were dashed.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 am

are we talking playing original xbox games on actual original xbox consoles or just backwards compatibillity on the 360? The only game I ever had problems with on the original xbox hardware was Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, that used to reset a lot but apparently that was the first in an experimental line of different dvd types being used for games or something. I mistakenly thought my xbox was broken and took that opportunity to get a 360 lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Just saw your post, DC. Yeah, I mean original xbox. Playing backwards on 360 is an option, but I'm avoiding that system til it either improves its failure rate, or individuals figure out reliable ways to fix them!

Check my other thread about the old xbox I found. I think/hope I scored.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

The 360 is awesome mate, the slim one is fantastic, its silent running and the 250gb hdd is amazing, i know what u mean the original 360 was a bit shit
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#9 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Cool, that's good to know. I have my "feelers" out for a repair, at least for rarity's sake. But I have wanted a 360 for the longest time, for a DOA4 machine if nothing else. If the problems are disappearing, I would buy one.

Barrys_Bapz
killer

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:12 pm

I think with Microsoft it's all about the money at the end of the day that's the bottom line, they'll sell your information and build up a portfolio on every game player I let you decide that a good thing.

The actual machines Microsoft makes are cheaply put together and there is no denying that they have cut corners, it takes about five years to rectify a problem ROD' come on if Sega made that mistake they'd recall, but they never did the Dreamcast is probably the most reliable optical disk drive console ever made, At least with its build quality and even on the motherboard it says Katana, that's pretty cool and it touches the nation where a beautiful company with ethics to its customers...

Sega had heart, and Microsoft have money.

Sony lose money every time they sell a PS3 and they let you play online for a virtually free. The method in this is they are backing the Blu-ray disc to be the standard media format of the future.
THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS ENDS