PS2 modem games

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ufdm
shadow

PS2 modem games

Post#1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:01 pm

A few years ago I learned that some PS2 games and software could go online using a USB modem, but didn't support any other methods like the network adapter. This is because the first network adapter for early PS2s in Japan didn't have a modem, just Ethernet, but dial-up was still common, so an external modem was needed to go online. Then the later versions of the network adapter, which had a modem in the west, left out the modem in Japan, since the USB modems already filled its role.

Several USB modems for PS2 were released in Japan with compatibility varying by game. The oldest modems with the widest support seem to be the "P2GATE" Conexant modem and the "OnlineStation" SUNTAC modem.

These games use direct dial and should work with the same VoIP setup that other direct dial games work with:
Armored Core 2: Another Age
Armored Core 3
Armored Core 3: Silent Line

These games used servers that would have to be reimplemented:
Auto Modellista
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 (cross-platform multiplayer with Dreamcast)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon DX (the same person who RE'd the Dreamcast version also did some work on the PS2 version)

I haven't looked into these yet, but I assume they also used servers:
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Eisei Meijin VI
The Seed
Taikyoku Mahjong: Net de Ron!

There are a few web browsers released for PS2 which used the modem, but they also had versions that supported broadband, so using them with modems is just a novelty. Still, they're an easy way to test your modem works with a DreamPi. These are the ones I know of:
EGBrowser
EGBrowser Light For I-O Data Device Inc. (trial version of EGBrowser without HDD and USB keyboard support)
NetFront
NetFront for Delta (should work with both Ethernet and modems, but couldn't dial with my P2GATE modem)
Chou! Tanoshii Internet: Tomodachi no Wa (just reskinned NetFront)

This page has some info. The PS2's library is vast and this feature was relatively obscure so there may be more supported games.

killer-elite
blackout!

Re: PS2 modem games

Post#2 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:19 am

ufdm
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:34 am

killer-elite wrote:I will just leave this here... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Some of these games also work with modems, but I don't see any of the modem-only games listed, which are what I'm mainly interested in.
Besides Armored Core and Gundam, I don't think these are on anyone's radar. I wanted to discuss it on this forum since people here are already familiar with simulating dial-up with a DreamPi, while most other communities I could post about this in wouldn't be.

cyrix
shadow

Post#4 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:11 am

Seems like the list of i.Link games is a good starting point for finding other modem only online games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... Link_Games

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:20 am

Age Of Empires 2 is curious to me not long ago I noticed it was PS2 ported, PAL+NTSC-J only

Even more puzzling is the NTSC-J cover sports the HDD logo.. but it's a weewee CD game right, I wonder what's the HDD use

cyrix
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 pm

It's kind of crazy ps2 i.link games had more than 2 console capabilities. Games like Unreal Tournament, Gran Turismo 3, Twisted Metal Black, and Timesplitters 2 had it apparently. I know those last two have online broadband play but still maybe someone could figure out a way forward firewire data over the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtR42796Ta4

cyrix
shadow

Post#7 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:33 pm

Yeah looks like Battle Gear 2 has online play as the ME56PS2 package mentions it and so does the game's cover.

And Battle Gear 3 has online broadband play which doesn't seem to be known.

icecycling
noob

Post#8 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:15 pm

It's a little bit insane. i.link games for the PlayStation 2 could be played on more than 2 consoles at once. It appears to have been present in titles such as Unreal Tournament, Gran Turismo 3, Twisted Metal Black, and Timesplitters 2 among others.

penalty kick online