Tonyhax International: Backup Loader For All Japanese, USA, and PAL PS1 Consoles/Early PS2 Consoles

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alexfree
fire

Re: Tonyhax International: Backup Loader For All Japanese, USA, and PAL PS1 Consoles/Early PS2 Consoles

Post#11 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:29 pm

Tonyhax International v1.0.7 update: https://github.com/alex-free/tonyhax/re ... tional.zip
Changes:

The Tonyhax International loader memory card save file is now named HAX instead of BESLEM-99999TONYHAX to allow for more exploitable games. You will need to update both the save game exploit file for your game as well as the Tonyhax International loader file to use v1.0.7 if you are using a previou version of the save game exploit file for your game that is already on a memory card.
Removed the SetSessionSuperUltraCommandSmash and replaced it with MottZilla's new method of re-reading TOC data for VC0 A, VC0 B, and VC1 A CDROM Controller BIOS firmwares. This change reduces the time it takes to re-read the TOC data on the backup CD-R or import PS1 disc from 2-10 minutes on the SCPH-1000, SCPH-3000, and some SCPH-3500 japanese consoles to around 30 seconds with 100% reliability!
Added save game exploit support for Tekken 3 Japan/USA/PAL thanks to Patchouli (karehaani) and krystalgamer.
Added save game exploit support for Tekken 2 Japan (rev 1 only), USA (rev 0 only), and PAL thanks to Patchouli (karehaani) and krystalgamer.
Added save game exploit support for Downhill Snow Japan thanks to Patchouli (karehaani).

DreamCasting
dark night

Re: Tonyhax International: Backup Loader For All Japanese, USA, and PAL PS1 Consoles/Early PS2 Consoles

Post#12 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:49 pm

Although it's way beyond my limited knowledge I'm curious about what makes 'save game exploit support' possible to be added for other games.

Perhaps there are many PAL games that can also be used but require investigating, possibly some very common titles?

alexfree
fire

Post#13 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:04 pm

DreamCasting wrote:Although it's way beyond my limited knowledge I'm curious about what makes 'save game exploit support' possible to be added for other games.

Perhaps there are many PAL games that can also be used but require investigating, possibly some very common titles?

There are some PAL games already supported, as well as USA games. It's not just Japanese games, but that has been the focus recently because that's what makes Tonyhax International "International".

Basically how you find exploits is by changing strings that are read on the memory card save files to various lengths attempting to introduce a traditional stack overflow exploit. The return address might be able to then be overwritten with your own which points to a primary loader, which then loads TonyHax International off of the memory card. This page has more info:
https://championleake.github.io/blog/PS1-StackSmashing/

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#14 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:58 pm

Ok, I did some more testing on my EU PS2.

The code breaker Pro v1.1 disc has an option to set video mode for ps1 which doesn't work for the PS2, but I have to disable it (not force set pal or ntsc) or else the tonyhax bootdisc fails with error message "backdoor failed".

I had high hopes that the tonyhax bootdisc could somehow set the ps1 driver of the PS2 to NTSC/60 hz but it doesn't, at least for now. I believe it shifts the screen upwards and leaves the lower portion of the screen black, because it's still PAL displaying the lower resolution of games intended for NTSC system.
Note that I am not complaining, I think it may be possible with GSM or ps1modenegator but it will have to be activated previously and I still have to try that.

alexfree
fire

Post#15 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:41 pm

Massive update now available, Tonyhax International v1.1.1i.
https://alex-free.github.io/tonyhax-international
https://github.com/alex-free/tonyhax/re ... tional.zip

Many, many things have been changed and improved. But the biggest feature of this update is the new system to bypass the additional anti-piracy copy protection routines found in some later PSX games. Since the beginning of Tonyhax International, Japanese consoles that were not the SCPH-1000 or early SCPH-3000 models could not play games with anti-piracy features such as i.e. Dino Crisis. This included Japanese PS2s.

The American and European consoles could play **some** but not all games with additional anti-piracy copy protection routines with the original Socram8888 bypass BIOS patch method found in the last version of the original Tonyhax project by Socram8888.

Now thanks to @MottZilla 's method to apply gameshark codes from inside Tonyhax International, this all changes. Initial support has been added for the new anti-piracy bypass system. Many games are already supported, and when a game is supported with a bypass, every version of it that I can test is supported. Rev 0, Rev 1/Greatest Hits, Demo, doesn't matter. If it contains additional anti-piracy copy protection routines which prevent the game from working on a stock console using Tonyhax International, I want it supported. Please see the website's section on this new support for more info and a complete list of currently supported games:
https://alex-free.github.io/tonyhax...g ... n-routines

For those of you who are curious of how this works, give this source file a look: https://github.com/alex-free/tonyhax/bl ... /patcher.c
I have wrote many gameshark codes (as noted in the above source file) to progress this support further, and plan to add more in the future. I actually have found something like a 'backdoor' in the standard implementation of these copy protection routines which I have been levering to add this support faster then otherwise possible. I plan on doing a writeup explaining more on that soon.

alexfree
fire

Post#16 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm

Version 1.1.3 (11/30/2022)

https://github.com/alex-free/tonyhax/re ... tional.zip
https://alex-free.github.io/tonyhax-international
https://alex-free.github.io/tonyhax-int ... #downloads

Changes:

Added support for bypassing the additional anti-piracy copy protection routines in Crash Bash/Crash Bandicoot Carnival, Koko Hore! Pukka, Love Hina: Ai wa Kotoba no Naka ni, and Love Hina 2: Kotoba wa Konayuki no You ni (thanks M4x1mumRez).

Added a Known Incompatible Games section, which documents games that currently do not work with either the original Tonyhax OR Tonyhax International.

Rewrote the Building From Source instructions for clarity and simplicity.

Fixed Pop'n Music 6's anti-piracy bypass and 'boots to black screen' issue.

Added support for bypassing the additional anti-piracy copy protection routines in Pop'N Music: Animation Melody (thanks trappedinlimbo).

Merged all new applicable changes from the latest O.G. Tonyhax where applicable (as of 11/30/2022 this is up to date with the current source tree). See commits 8284633c435a9325dcfd7028d9788bacae94de69, b72b08e5ba814196f07993491b483e5ec8e3fc93, and 8934a2bb614973064e45a6638e03fd0c7426e5fc for full details.

Changed everything to be cleaner and closer to the latest source tree of the original Tonyhax. There will now be a diff comparing the loader directory of the current Tonyhax loader directory with the Tonyhax International loader directory, enabling easy comparison/documention/review of the current code differences between the fork and upstream. You can find this diff in the docs/tonyhax-vs-tonyhax-international-diffs directory in the source tree.

alexfree
fire

Post#17 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:46 pm

Version 1.1.7 (1/3/2023)

tonyhax-v1.1.7-international: https://github.com/alex-free/tonyhax/re ... tional.zip

Changes:

Added save game exploit support for Final Fantasy IX Japan, Final Fantasy IX USA Rev 0, and Final Fantasy IX USA Rev 1 thanks to Patchouli (karehaani)!

Fixed the tonyhax.mcs and HAX loader files for the save game exploit boot method. Previously, only the HAX loader file copied via uLaunchElf specifically to a memory card was working due to an error accommodating the larger size of the Tonyhax International loader since v1.1.3. This issue has now been resolved and everything works as expected with both the tonyhax.mcs and HAX loader files as they are in the correct ‘linked’ format (you can see this in the memcardrex software for example).

Updated crosstool-ng to the latest version. Fixed and updated the crosstool-ng config file used to build the Tonyhax International toolchain to work with the latest version. The new config file also makes a more tuned PSX toolchain. The toolchain is set to be tuned for the r3000, for little-endian, for soft-float (no hardware float support), and for a 32-bit ABI. This means the previous CFLAGS setting these options explicitly are no longer necessary and have been removed from the various variable.mk* files in the source.

Updated the APv2 decompilation documentation (from the latest official Tonyhax).

Added more info on the RAM setups used by Tonyhax International and how they work. This information can be found in the ram-setups.txt file in the docs directory of the source.

Substantially rewrote the documentation with more information.