Getting a fat PS1, how do I play backups without modding?

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Getting a fat PS1, how do I play backups without modding?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Ok, here goes... My nextdoor neighbor is going to give me a PS1 fat, with 3 dual shock controllers, 3 games and a memory card or 2. I already have a Dragon Hacker 2000, which I have had since 98/99, and I believe it to be rare, as I can find no info about it on the net. It was purchased to be able to play Dragon Ball GT on PS1 jap version, so this device allowed us to swap discs and play imports.

I think these are illegal now, and the company went out of business, but I was wondering if I could use this device to play backups or use a swap disc method on PS1 without modding the system.

Who here knows about playing backups, and what all will I need to do to it?

dirtydav
stalker

Re: Getting a fat PS1, how do I play backups without modding

Post#2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 pm

I know there is a swap trick to play backups. The best thing is to get a mod chip. They are simple and easy to do. I have a bunch of old games from back in the day my dad got a modded PSX so I would have a good game system growing up. There is also a swap trick for a Slim Ps2 but I couldn't get any games to save. :(

You can easily find a PSX at yard sales, flea markets ect. for $10 You can find a mod chip for about $20 I think.

Lumin
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:18 am

If you dont want to solder a modchip you can use a boot disc or an "external modchip" that goes into the parallel port (make sure your system has one).
http://www.modchipstore.com/PlayStation-1-108.html

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:30 pm

You can do the following;

1) Play all ps1 games on a ps2

2) Boot ps2 games via the usb port/jump drive (similar to how we are doing now with a sdcard on the dreamcast), so that you don't even need the optical drive of the ps2

3) Fit a crap ton of ps1 games on a single jump drive

Look up the custom made handheld "Knight Raizor" (or something like that) by a raizor04 (i think thats his name). He made a portable ps2 that runs completely off a usb stick.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

jinn
rebel

Post#5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Get a modchip, don't use the swap trick if you break the spindle hub tabs it will make the CD unbalanced and will have problems reading the Games.
If you need a chip PM me and we can work out a deal
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#6 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:32 pm

http://www.wikihow.com/Disk-Swap-on-a-PlayStation

You gotta place a tape over the button inside the lid to trick the PS1 into thinking that its lid is closed while it's actually open. It's in the back under the lid.
Connection! Hooray!!!

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

If it's the launch model with RCA jacks (spch-1001), don't even mess with it. Keep it for collectibility or as a CD player. There's a growing awareness about that unit.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play