Sony Downsizes By 90%

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ice445
lithium

Re: Sony Downsizes By 90%

Post#21 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 am

Comrade Snarky wrote:loool, people taking a Dan Kuso thread seriously.

Don't you guys think if Sony, a massive conglomeration worth trillions would downsize an entire region without any kind of heavy coverage?

Go ahead and search for Sony downsize. Tell me if there's anything there that's relevant to Sony Europe and was announced in October of 2012.

I never actually believed they were downsizing to that extent. In fact, I didn't even read the link, lol.

With that said, Sony is indeed struggling these days. Not to an extreme, but they aren't the kings they used to be.

MrSega

Post#22 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:43 pm

The Chickens are coming home to roost. This is what happens when you arrogantly sell an overpriced BD player for $600. Spend 7 years of R&D while pumping $10 billion into it. Immediately lose $5 billion on it it's first
4 years, and THEN bleed an additional $6 billion on 6 years worth of billion dollar annual budget shortfall losses, and
lose $2 billion on developing a gimmicky,overpriced portable trying to pass it off as an Android.

To add insult to injury, Sony's core brands are doing TERRIBLE. Never mind the $25 billion Debt of SCEI, even their annual revenue has dropped 50% from $32 billion in 2002, all the way down to $2 billion in 2011, and is excepted to be even worse for 2012.

MrSega

Post#23 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:47 pm

ice445 wrote:Wow vector, quite the Sony bias there. The original PlayStation was one of the best designed consoles of all time. It only had two minor issues that were corrected with later versions. The Dreamcast we all love so much was heavily based on the design of the PS1 (look at the inside of each side by side sometime). As for the PS2, it was a very well built system given the technology it used. People simply played them to death. If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was). The PS3 I'm not going to comment on as I didn't own nor do research on.

From what I understand though, Sony's gaming division isn't what's bringing them down. If anything it's the only thing keeping them afloat. The main problem stems from plummeting TV and other electronic sales from a multitude of competitors like Samsung squeezing them hard from every angle.

That's actually bad thing for them. Very BAD thing.

MrSega

Post#24 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Don't you guys think if Sony, a massive conglomeration worth trillions would downsize an entire region without any kind of heavy coverage?

Go ahead and search for Sony downsize. Tell me if there's anything there that's relevant to Sony Europe and was announced in October of 2012.

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but your assumptions are incorrect.

Sony's net worth is under $50 billion. Their total assets are $82 billion.

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much ... sony-worth

So yeah, based on the $20 billion they've lost on PS3, dismal sales of their electronics, poor preformances of non gaming brands, I'd say Sony is in deep SHIT.

ice445
lithium

Post#25 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 pm

MrSega wrote:The Chickens are coming home to roost. This is what happens when you arrogantly sell an overpriced BD player for $600. Spend 7 years of R&D while pumping $10 billion into it. Immediately lose $5 billion on it it's first
4 years, and THEN bleed an additional $6 billion on 6 years worth of billion dollar annual budget shortfall losses, and
lose $2 billion on developing a gimmicky,overpriced portable trying to pass it off as an Android.

To add insult to injury, Sony's core brands are doing TERRIBLE. Never mind the $25 billion Debt of SCEI, even their annual revenue has dropped 50% from $32 billion in 2002, all the way down to $2 billion in 2011, and is excepted to be even worse for 2012.

The PS3 wasn't so much arrogance as Sony expecting to get the same returns they got with the PS2. They expected the same sort of exponential adoption rate that happened when they pushed DVD hard. The problem was that VHS was not only inferior in quality to DVD, but inconvenient as well. Now with DVD to Blu-Ray, the differences aren't large enough for the average person to care, and the convenience factor is the same.

With that said, I have no way to confirm exactly how bad Sony is doing, although if it is what you claim then yeah, they're in big trouble.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#26 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Comrade Snarky wrote:Go ahead and search for Sony downsize. Tell me if there's anything there that's relevant to Sony Europe and was announced in October of 2012.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148573

???

I don't know the OP rep or really see anything about a 90% downsize in Sony but I hear people of forums saying Sony lost bilions (really, billions ?)
...Like I said I don't know if Sony PS is in trouble by billions or not, but if so...smirk.

To Ice, about so many ps2 units needed to be returned for years, it was infamous as I pointed out before with google link, but here is another :

"After release users reported a variety of problems including DVD playback and the infamous laser problem, where the machine was unable to read blue discs. This problem was so widespread that in America a class action lawsuit was filed against Sony."

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... t=2&c=1230

I live in the NorthEast part of USA. When I went to local shops or national ones like EB, Babbages, etc I saw stacks of ps2 in "need repair" piles or people sending them back to Sony, sometimes 2 or 3 times before a working one was finally sent, this happened for years until the smaller unit came out. I know many are from UK here but it was a famous thing for a ps2 to malfunction quickly in USA.

Even the smaller units had issues, but I just want to share this :

"In 2004 a slimline version of the PS2 was released, not without its own problems. Because of the smaller case an external power supply was used, a number of which were recalled due to the possibility of overheating. The slimline version also featured an Ethernet port and integrated modem.

Despite these problems the PS2 was extremely popular, selling more than 115 million units world-wide to date according to Sony. It has been suggested this is an artificially high figure though, as some users report having owned as many as FOUR OR MORE replacement machines due to the problems with the laser."

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#27 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm

I was confused for a while because in 2003 they made a psx, a dvd recorder ps2 in Japan...but when the smaller psone came out some people call that the psx...and now when I look at games to d/l from some places, they list the original playstation as psx lol.

MrSega

Post#28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:32 pm

@djvectorman. Sony is in SERIOUS trouble. They are no longer the money making conglomorate they were in the 80s. The losses on PS3 have totalled nearly $22 billion.

The company's core brands are performing very poorly. And that spells trouble. Sony can't survive on "Playstation" alone. They only have $6 billion in R&D and a shrinking market cap.

SCEI is in even WORSE shape. They don't have enough money for a new SKU. They only have $2 billion left for R&D.

There's a popluar myth among Sony fanboys that Sony is a trillion dollar giant that "too big to fail". Based on my research, I have discovered that it's simply not true. Sony's net worth as of 2011 is aproximately $47.0 billion with $80 billion worth of assets.

When Sony launched "Playstation 2" in 2000, they had a net worth of $83 billion with $120 billion in assets. Over the past decade all of that completely shrunk in half.

With the $20 billion losses on PS3, poor peformances and lackluster expectations on it's all it's brands and the $10 billion dollar 7 year budget on PS3, you and everyone here can see that Sony really is in trouble and they have fallen DEEP in Red.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#29 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Yeah I saw the thread, reported it as spam and ignored it. I'm sure MrSh!t is very happy at getting a 3 page epic tho. :lol:

As for MrSega's posts? :roll:

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#30 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:36 pm

So what gimmick will the ps4 have ? A "ultra voilet player" ? Or "d/l games and android apps on ps4 hd !" or...lol.

Did anybody even care about the "blu ray" ps3 gimmick ?

The only companies near 1 trillion are British East India Company VOC, Standard Oil, Apple or Microsoft (I believe)...indeed this isn't the 1980's walkman, tv, home stereo, etc Sony, its the new "make everything with cheapest plastic parts" Sony and the economy is horrible now, the video game market is esp meh right now...who the hell thinks Sony has a trillion lol ?

I believe if they only had 100 billion now. That's actually great in this 2012 market. What does Sega have, they out of the red yet ? They have 2 million or ?

Sega used to be a lion, now Sega is sick alley cat snuggling up next to a crackhead in an alley for warmth. Sad and looking at dead jaguars hoping they don't end up like Atari. Hopefully we see Sony PS division there soon.

I hope the Sony PS division fails within 3 years, I'll play my DC, drinking beers and laughing hearing about it on the news. Or I'll just d/l a 1080p hd youtube clip of it and burn it on vcd and watch it on my DCVCD player which will look as good as a 2000 dvd playing on a ps2 lol.

Return to “PlayStation Consoles”