Cool PS1 Trick!

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Cool PS1 Trick!

Post#1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:02 am

Is it me, or am I really the first to find this out? Ever had a PS1 game that had a really good soundtrack and wanted to play it in your PS1 in uninterrupted form? Well, you can...kind of. Some games don't work.

I also don't recommend doing this on a daily basis.

THINGS YOU NEED:

Power

A television

A PS1 (preferrably the second version of the first model)

A piece of tape

Any CD-based console game (PS1, Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, etc.)

Step 1. Make sure your PS1 is hooked up to the TV properly.

Step 2. Open the lid. See that button near the CD drive? When pushed down by the pointy thing on the bottom of the lid (which happens when you close it), the spindle starts spinning, as so does the disc. It's kinda like dropping a needle onto a record. So, take your piece of tape and place it so that it is pushing down on the button.

Step 3. Turn the console on. Don't panic if you see the disc spin by itself.

Step 4. When you see the disc spin by itself, gently touch the top part of the disc and keep your fingernail there until the white screen disappears.

Step 5. If done correctly, you should be at the CD player menu. If so, enjoy! However, if you get the text "Please insert a PlayStation disc" or the PlayStation logo on a black screen, try again.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Cool PS1 Trick!

Post#2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:06 am

...or you could just put the disc in a normal CD player or PC to play the CDDA tracks without putting unnecessary strain on the motor in your PSX by preventing the disc from spinning. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#3 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:09 am

Aleron Ives wrote:...or you could just put the disc in a normal CD player or PC to play the CDDA tracks without putting unnecessary strain on the motor in your PSX by preventing the disc from spinning. :lol:

You do make a point. Or even better, put it in a Dreamcast!

-Some plebs at IGN

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:06 am

Err, or you just open the lid, start up, redirect to the music player, close the lid, play the music tracks...

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:18 pm

krssn wrote:Err, or you just open the lid, start up, redirect to the music player, close the lid, play the music tracks...

Okay, I know. There's better methods, even with a PlayStation. I just wonder why it recognized it as a regular CD instead of recognizing it as a game when you do it. Kind of interesting, right?

-Some plebs at IGN

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:15 pm

If you start up the audio player the PS1 obviously will act as an audio player... ;)

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:48 pm

I meant the trick in the first post.

-Some plebs at IGN

fatman01923
noob

Post#8 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 pm

hudsthinking1999 wrote:I meant the trick in the first post.

It probably happens because it can't read the game data or boot sequence correctly when you hold down the motor spindle. So it just defaults to the music player because it doesn't detect a game. But yeah like the others said, just use the audio player! :)