Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.
User avatar
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond
Posts: 776

Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:02 pm

So, to make a long story short, i recently I got a MASSIVE lot of “broken” sega consoles for peanuts, could not pass it up. The seller had the photos with the mobos and the drives ect all out so people could see them. I assumed that when shipping it they would be put the drives and boards back into the cases. Apparently not as they shipped a massive box with literally zero packing and the boards were all on top of each other, the drives laying out and being squished ect, it hurt the heart opening the box.

I assumed what chance I had for fixing them were gone at this point (the sega cd RF shield for example literary was bent into a U from the journey to here). Low and behold the entire lot more or less works, with the exception of two Dreamcast drives which both have the same issue (topic for another day)

But back to topic, the Sega cd I assumed was a write off especially since the drive was jammed under two cases, and since their drives are not the most reliable sometimes, I thought it was pooched, to my surprise not only did the CD turn on after doing some work on it, but the drive came to life and attempted to read a disk. The only thing so far prohibiting me from testing a game is the CD hub is all the way at the bottom, im assuming that it got pushed down from having 8 consoles sitting on top of it.

(see photos)
20220920_194503.jpg

20220920_194459.jpg

Been looking online for a few days on how to push it back up and most people say just get something under it and pry it up really hard, but others say they have broken it that way, I have gotten a small flat head under to really push but no budging, and scared to go farther without at least asking, anyone got any ideas?

User avatar
Xiden
Developer
Posts: 1999

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:56 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:So, to make a long story short, i recently I got a MASSIVE lot of “broken” sega consoles for peanuts, could not pass it up. The seller had the photos with the mobos and the drives ect all out so people could see them. I assumed that when shipping it they would be put the drives and boards back into the cases. Apparently not as they shipped a massive box with literally zero packing and the boards were all on top of each other, the drives laying out and being squished ect, it hurt the heart opening the box.

I assumed what chance I had for fixing them were gone at this point (the sega cd RF shield for example literary was bent into a U from the journey to here). Low and behold the entire lot more or less works, with the exception of two Dreamcast drives which both have the same issue (topic for another day)

But back to topic, the Sega cd I assumed was a write off especially since the drive was jammed under two cases, and since their drives are not the most reliable sometimes, I thought it was pooched, to my surprise not only did the CD turn on after doing some work on it, but the drive came to life and attempted to read a disk. The only thing so far prohibiting me from testing a game is the CD hub is all the way at the bottom, im assuming that it got pushed down from having 8 consoles sitting on top of it.

(see photos)
20220920_194503.jpg
20220920_194459.jpg
Been looking online for a few days on how to push it back up and most people say just get something under it and pry it up really hard, but others say they have broken it that way, I have gotten a small flat head under to really push but no budging, and scared to go farther without at least asking, anyone got any ideas?


Supp man! Havent seen ya in a bit! Watch this video, he had to do a similar repair. It may be on part 3 of not on part 2. He'll show you what level it should be at. Yours is waaaay to low.

https://youtu.be/odV-3Dofv_E

User avatar
hawkzer0
dirty sailor
Posts: 174

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#3 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:40 pm

Hey man! Good to see you!

That is the same video I watched to fix my model 2. Over the years my hub slid down and would give me very intermittent game playback. Bringing the hub up just a tad on the spindle really helped with the reading of discs.

I found the easier way to bring the hub up than with a screwdriver was to put something flat on top of the spindle, put my thumbs on that, and then use my other fingers to pull on the hub from below.

Good luck! and nice haul. That's tragic they didn't pack it worth a darn!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

User avatar
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond
Posts: 776

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#4 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:16 am

Thanks for the replys and hits! Long time no see!

I tried hawkzer method with a coin and it came up!

Did a quick test before i head to bed and the laser can move up and down now without hitting anything, the CD lid is missing its magnet thing on the lid so i stole my other sega cd's case to do a quick test, i can hear the laser attempt to read but the disk appears to not spin at all, tomorrow and this weekend will have to take a peak if the motor is shot or if its something else. I think its amazing that its this good if it ends up being a burnt motor considering what it survived

User avatar
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond
Posts: 776

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#5 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:46 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:Hey man! Good to see you!

That is the same video I watched to fix my model 2. Over the years my hub slid down and would give me very intermittent game playback. Bringing the hub up just a tad on the spindle really helped with the reading of discs.

I found the easier way to bring the hub up than with a screwdriver was to put something flat on top of the spindle, put my thumbs on that, and then use my other fingers to pull on the hub from below.

Good luck! and nice haul. That's tragic they didn't pack it worth a darn!


Okay messed around with it today, and still wont spin. Decided to simply take apart my good sega cd and stick the drive into this "broken" one, as i read it could be a board issue or fuse that could cause this. Worked perfectly fine so its defiantly contained to the drive.

Do you think replacing the laser itself would possibly fix the issue? Iv read online for some people that might do it, but if its a bad motor than id rather replace the whole thing, sadly cant seem to find any spare parts online other than the laser itself

User avatar
hawkzer0
dirty sailor
Posts: 174

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#6 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:47 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:
hawkzer0 wrote:Hey man! Good to see you!

That is the same video I watched to fix my model 2. Over the years my hub slid down and would give me very intermittent game playback. Bringing the hub up just a tad on the spindle really helped with the reading of discs.

I found the easier way to bring the hub up than with a screwdriver was to put something flat on top of the spindle, put my thumbs on that, and then use my other fingers to pull on the hub from below.

Good luck! and nice haul. That's tragic they didn't pack it worth a darn!


Okay messed around with it today, and still wont spin. Decided to simply take apart my good sega cd and stick the drive into this "broken" one, as i read it could be a board issue or fuse that could cause this. Worked perfectly fine so its defiantly contained to the drive.

Do you think replacing the laser itself would possibly fix the issue? Iv read online for some people that might do it, but if its a bad motor than id rather replace the whole thing, sadly cant seem to find any spare parts online other than the laser itself


Possibly? Before I ordered a new laser I'd try to adjust the POT on this one. Make sure you mark the original position with a marker or something! does the laser activate? See if you can pick it up with your phone's camera.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

User avatar
Ragfish
Dead House
Posts: 381

Re: Sega Cd Laser Hub Sunk?

Post#7 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 am

I wouldn't give up on it yet, I fixed a similar sega cd a few weeks ago. If you've been adjusting the spindle and it's too high, then the disc won't spin. Too low, and it'll probably at least try to spin.

There's also a chance that the drive mechanism itself has sunken down too, so that even the proper spindle height can make the disc scrape. You could try putting 4 small washers on the 4 posts the drive assembly sits on, or even 4 rubber bands or something. In the end I had to do both to fix my Sega cd

In the end you might need a new laser, or a pot adjustment, or a new motor, but my money is still on the spindle height

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Sega Other”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users