2017 Sonic games thread

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

2017 Sonic games thread

Post#1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:35 pm

2017 is going to be a pretty good year for Sonic. We have 2 great games coming up this year, so that is very nice.
I've already pre-ordered the collector's edition of Mania, and I might get Forces as well. :)

What are your guys' thoughts on the new Sonic games?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: 2017 Sonic games thread

Post#2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:49 pm

They are a regurgitation of the same games they put out, so need I say more (you did ask). For the younger generation, this train of thought doesn't equate but for people like me who was there when ALL of the Sonic games were originally released, it's like the air popped from the red balloon after Sonic Adventure 2, although I do like Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 06 as it is called on the Sonic forums that prevail in cyberspace). I wish they would keep the games "Epic", not 1D in thought (I'm not referring to the graphics just to be clear).

I have no problem with others liking or worshiping Sonic and my intent is not one of hate or disrespect for the die-hard Sonic fans or "fanboys". There is enough bigger issues (Cuba, Afghanistan, over killed in London, African nations oppressing their people and the Stanley Cup drought of the Toronto Maple Leafs & Montreal Canadians!... Ok, a little humour there, it was getting scary).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:13 pm

I agree with Bob, both look very much like regurgitated stuff (again). At least with Mania, it seems to be a regurgitation of something we didn't get for a very long time, a Sonic game which knows what momentum based and PROPER classic Sonic style gameplay is (Sonic 4 and Generations was way off from proper classic gameplay). I don't expect it to blow me away, but based on what they showed so far, it looks like it will be a solid, fun 2D Sonic game, which at this point I'll gladly take.

Sonic Forcres on the other hand...instead of rambling on forever, the best way to sum it would be: CRINGEFEST!

Iron Dreamcast
rebel

Post#4 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Here's what I think;

Mania looks amazing even though 60% of the game is going to be re-imagined levels but there's nothing wrong with re-imagined levels. Just look at Generations for example, I don't think it's as good as people say it is but I still enjoy it. A̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶ :lol: I'm not the biggest fan of the classics but Mania looks like it can be one of if not THE best 2D game. While I may not be the biggest fan of the classic games just be glad that I'm not one of those nostalgia blinded people.

Forces on the other hand, at first I thought this game was gonna be amazing too, but after the E3 footage it looks mediocre. There's too much 2D, it's like the devs listened to TWIP, TERRIBLE IDEA!!! And Izuka said that this game would "NOT be a sequel it's a brand new experience" but it seems like a combination of Colors and Generations mixed with it's own coat of paint. I do think it's nice to return to the boost gameplay after Lost World and Rise Of Lyric took a break from it, but this better be the last game to use it.

Also the Wisps are returning and I hate the Wisps on so many levels. I'm not just saying this b/c they returned in future games, I played Colors when it was new and I didn't like them then, and when they returned in Lost World I was kinda turned off from that, and the Wisps are really one of the only problems LW has. The Wisps felt totally useless in LW and they had NO purpose in the plot. In Forces there better be a plot important reason for the Wisps being there.

Classic Sonic looks whatever, Modern Sonic looks meh, and the Custom Hero looks good, making me so far say it's ok. I just hope it's better than Colors, I don't dislike Colors but it's the most mediocre Sonic game imo, I'd go as far as saying Sonic CD is better.

The story of Forces, it actually seems interesting. I just hope that Pontaic and Graff don't lay a finger on the script. Shadow, Chaos, Metal Sonic, and Zavok are returning alongside a new villain named Infinite. "The main villain of the game, who came here by time traveling. I mean it's just Mephlies wearing a mask, their pose is indistinguishable, and they have the exact same eyes.And look at those blobs it's obviously time blobs being thrown there." - Redhotsonic, 2017 (Check out the video right here it's gold; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEzeeIUIioU) Anyway with the story it looks great. It seems like they could give us that combination of light-hearted and edgy like SA2 and Unleashed, and I'm glad that the serious factor is back. I understand that people like Somecallmejohnny don't want Sonic games to have dark elements but I feel like it always works better that way. T̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶S̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶e̶l̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶W̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶K̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶J̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶v̶o̶i̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶.

Overall Mania looks like an 8.7 and Forces looks like an 6.5 I am looking forward to both of them, but I don't have my expectations too high for Forces. If Mania is as good as I'm expecting it to be then we'd finally have a good Sonic game again, LET ME EXPLAIN WHAT I MEAN BY THAT! When I say good I mean something that isn't just ok like Colors or it's good but I don't really care for it like Generations. If you ask me the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed was the last good one. (In case you didn't know the Wii and PS2 versions of Unleashed are different to the 360 and PS3 versions)

gokaiblue
fire

Post#5 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Mania looks awesome as always, and I can't wait to play it. Forces looks good....but I was expecting less 2D in the game. I hope the ratio of 3D to 2D isn't as lopsided as it apppears.

The story for Forces seems interesting. Sonic's rouges gallery coming to together to fight him under the leadership of Eggman and Infinite is a concept that could make for an interesting story.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SpikeyGecko
noob

Post#6 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Someone from a video (who I completely forgot the name of) had a really great point about new Sonic titles, and that there isn't really a core style for the 3-D series at the moment. The problem I see is that there hasn't been a Sonic game where it is completely the boost formula and nothing else; there's always been some sort of "gimmick" that goes with it. This doesn't mean that the games are bad, however, there just isn't really a solid formula put into place. I just hope that they will continue to finally stick with that style for the 3-D games, as I feel it makes the most sense for old and new players alike.

As for Sonic Mania, I really don't have any complaints! While I am a bit disappointed there is more returning stages than new ones, it seems to be very good so far from the gameplay shown. Let's just hope it looks as great as the trailers!

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

With Sega's push for quality now i have no doubts that both will be amazing

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm

@Bob Dobbs: I can understand. Wish they would change things up a little sometimes, but look where that got us. *cough cough* Lost World *cough cough* Sonic Boom *cough cough*

@Tarnish: Agreed. The formula's very much the same as some previous games, but I wouldn't want them to change things up so soon, for reasons stated above. But hey, at least they're adding a customizable character. Don't know if that'll be a good thing or not.

@Iron Dreamcast: Mania does look awesome, but I don't see much point in bringing Classic Sonic into Forces. I would prefer for them to be kept seperate, but it still looks okay.

And I do agree with you on the Wisps to some extent. They are such a pace breaker in Sonic stages, especially Modern, but it does seem fitting for the customizable character, since it moves at a slower pace and the levels seem to be more built around gadgetry.

As for the other things:

-The main villain can time travel? Silver much?
-Colors isn't really the most overrated IMO, more so a tie between CD and SA2 for me.
-I did know the Wii/PS2 version was different. It was actually the port I grew up on, and when I eventually got the PS3 version, I gave it to someone because I already had the Wii version. I want that back now.

@gokaiblue: Agreed.

@SpikeyGecko: I do hope they balance out the 3 different styles as well. Seems a bit redundant to have Classic Sonic in there at all.

@itsthinkingstill: I don't have super high hopes for Forces, but I think it's gonna be good. Mania I have huge confidence in, obviously.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#9 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm not a huge Sonic fan. I'm more of a Mario, Metroid and Zelda fan. :lol:

But the new Sonic games seem okay. Despite the fact, that they are obviously not as great, as the older classic games. And they feel kinda depressing too.

Me, I like the old Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 games, alot more.
Those games are more my style. And I like the light heartedness of them too.
And I also miss that old school, smooth sounding classic, 90's style sonic rap music, blended together, with good gameplay and a story, that is 88% cool. :D

Right now, "I feel like a little pumpkin head." Wrd. 8-)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:59 am

I have never thought of sonic being good in 3d ever but I'm old and like the OG even on dreamcast it was nice but i could not enjoy it. just like castlevania i think it should of stayed 2d were it belongs

I dont get the whole it has to be 3d thing.. what it has to be is fun