Saturn Action replay

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Saturn Action replay

Post#1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:16 pm

ok this is a slight shout for help, I've just bought an import title from Japan for the Saturn, I've got an Action Replay and I'm using a PAL system, however whenever I try to play a game with it in the damn thing just doesn't work, it always goes to the bios screen and says either "Cartridge not compatible" or "cd not compatible" I looked online and when you use the action replay it should have a boot screen much like the Dreamcast Action Replay disc however mine doesn't boot.

Does anyone know from experience if the action replay cartridges definitely work with PAL Saturns? OR is it possible my Action Replay is just broken? Its the one with a blue serial plug/slot on top of it, bit strange.

Can anyone help?
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Re: Saturn Action replay

Post#2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 pm

right I finally managed to sort this out, apparently there were 2 models, one thats older with a 21 pin slot so you can connect the saturn to a pc possibly? apparently the newer version doesn't have the slot and works with a lot more imports but I managed to get it working, I had to really clean the slot part and restart a bunch of times but eventually worked and I was able to play Metal Black on my pal console, coincidentally Metal Black is awesome!!

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#3 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Sorry I missed this. Generally the replay carts with an exposed connector on top are not the official carts. They can work on imports, but their cheat function doesn't always work.

Also, since the Saturn hasn't had any cartridge put in it for over a decade, its reasonable to assume the port can be dirty.

What you need to see when you start your system with any game in it is the action replay menus. Most issues with the cart is simply because the system doesn't see it, so maybe clean the cartridge input contacts and cartridge-fuck it until the system boots to that action replay screen.

Also yay for Metal Black! Careful with those Japanese imports, they can bust your wallet!
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:00 am

hey man, its cool

So first off, I've always used an official memory card for the Saturn so that's always been in and out of the slot etc and my Saturn's port should be clean because its one of the ones that has a closing flap so nothing should get in there in theory, but hey ho! anyway so yeah I eventually got the cart to recognise and for the first time EVER I saw the Action Replay menu etc, but it was very tough going. So I eventually got it to show the menu and EVENTUALLY got the game to work, and I must say its pretty awesome!

I was having trouble with the cart because the slot can be very finnickity, it seems the carts can get wiped etc if you remove them when the console is on or insert them when the console is on lol

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 am

Yep if you check the action replay cart's printed/inserted (electronic) board's actual thickness compared to your official one, you will see that there is a bit of a difference.

Some of the worst replay carts I'd ever seen were so thin that any saturn that had ever had any other cart inserted in it would make the replay cart wobble loose and render it unusable.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 am

You could always tin the contacts to make them fatter, if you were willing to do a bit of modification.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

meh, I'll just muscle through with it as it is, I might be selling a truck load of games soon so I doubt theres much point in tinkering too much