Majesco's Game Gear

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Majesco's Game Gear

Post#1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:08 am

Hey guys

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the differences between Majesco's Game Gear and Sega's own?

Does Majesco's have a battery that I can just plug in and charge, or does it take AA batteries?

Is there any way to mod a Game Gear and give it a rechargeable battery?

Also, I have the Game Gear battery pack (that big shaver-looking thing that you plug into the outlet and then plug it into your Game Gear for longer battery life). But it doesn't work. What could be the problem?

krssn
Metallic

Re: Majesco's Game Gear

Post#2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 am

Interesting read that will answer some of your questions...

http://www.gamesasylum.com/2014/07/18/majesco-and-the-sega-game-gears-second-lease-of-life/

GameOverYeah wrote:Also, I have the Game Gear battery pack (that big shaver-looking thing that you plug into the outlet and then plug it into your Game Gear for longer battery life). But it doesn't work. What could be the problem?

The rechargeable battery being dead maybe...

Does it still provide juice when plugged into the outlet?...

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Based on stuff I read on the internet, the majesco gamegear has cheaper feeling plastic, but is less likely to have problems with cheap capacitors - as most other gamegears have at this point, being the age they are.

KRSSN is probably right about the rechargeable battery. Especially if its an official rechargeable battery from like 20 years ago, chances are that the battery can no longer hold a charge. Batteries work based on chemical reactions, and those reactions only go for so long.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 am

Thanks for the replies, guys

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd say the Majesco version is better overall. It has a brighter screen and an extended battery life. Though the Majesco Game Gear is not compatible with the TV Tuner or the Master Gear Converter, it is worth owning over the Sega one.

Though Sega's has the colorful logo... :?
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN