Recent Spam

Website Updates and Support for Dc Talk will be posted here.
Also post your feedback and suggestions for the site.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Recent Spam

Post#31 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:44 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:2 days later...

:lol: :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#32 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:01 am

Haha :lol:

I laughed my arse off when I saw that but really............

.......it's quite a poignant, sad picture :cry:

I see the forum's still covered in spam. I don't want to see people leaving Dreamcast-Talk because of it though, that's annoying.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#33 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 am

yeah, its gotten to a point where its as much as I can tolerate, not that I'll be leaving ;), but its quite annoying not knowing what to click when going through new posts

I'm pretty sure there'sa script for this kinda shit, I don't see nearly as much spam on any of the other DC boards
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#34 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 am

if u look at the links I posted there are things you can do to stop it. There are ban lists of emails that spams bots used that a script can use to autoblock.
PS2 Online Gaming

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#35 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm

This spam is starting to get unbearable. I only hope that something can be done to stop it. There has to be a combination of anti spam measures to make it almost imposable for spambots to register. I remember a few forums had a question to where you had to go back and search for a random word in the TOS to answer the question, then the standard capcha and a few other questions like history, math or other, or a form of Simon Memory Game, or a simple drawing board to copy what image you see. multiple layers of antispam measures should make it hard for them to register, the only ones it wont stop is human spam.

I think the admin need to consider on selecting a few trusted members for a anti spambot squad to delete spam posts (following a protocol on PMing the admin the spambots email, links, user name, signature and so forth) . The issue is that people are clicking their links, when they click the links it makes this community forum a target to even more spambots. the spam posts are not being deleted fast enough. the account might be banned but their posts remain and links are still active. the users need to learn not to post on spambot posts and stop clicking their links, many of those links are more then just links to a standard web page and most are not just for advertising.

pcwzrd13 wrote:A message for the spammers:

There, that takes care of that problem.

elmagicochrisg wrote:2 days later...

lmao

Spambots are heartless, but not as heartless as the one who pulls the trigger

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#36 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:35 pm

We could start by banning the words "Gucci" and "Rolex". I don't think we'll need them anyway. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#37 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:We could start by banning the words "Gucci" and "Rolex". I don't think we'll need them anyway. :lol:

Don't ban Timex though. Ryo's timepiece IIRC ;)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#38 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Neohound wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:We could start by banning the words "Gucci" and "Rolex". I don't think we'll need them anyway. :lol:

Don't ban Timex though. Ryo's timepiece IIRC ;)

Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Good catch.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#39 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:02 pm

I think the admin need to consider on selecting a few trusted members for a anti spambot squad to delete spam posts

People wont be deleting spam all time, we are humans, they are machines. DC-Talk always suffered of spam, just take a look at archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/200805020347 ... m.php?f=28 and it's still the same situation here. http://dreamcast-talk definitely needs strong combined spam protection. As far as i know all captchas can bypassed, there is installed Q&A protection now but it's bypassed as you can see by yourself, ip banning is useless...

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#40 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Make a different question then.
In some cases humans register the bots, they add the forum url to the script and then the bot does his work.

I on ragol.co.uk deal with the spambots the hard way, i ban all of them when they register, but it's different, ragol.co.uk has lot's of things you can fill and usually bots (or even humans that register the bots) fill the options with plain nonsense, usually the script they use is also used by other spammers, so they are very easy to detect.
In case of doubt i check the ip to see if it's on a spam database.

But here i think the problem is different, i'm sure the username or the mail used for registering or even the ip can point a bot, but a more automated banning system would be better.