Introduce a friend

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Introduce a friend

Post#11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 pm

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:I don't really notice a delay online. Maybe over old dial up there could have been. But it is an awesome game.

I need to try Chu Chu Rocket online again then. It would be much better without the delay.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Anonymouse wrote:I really enjoyed the puzzle aspect of Chu Chu Rocket on the iPad. I havent played the game online since it was originally out - isnt there a delay when placing the arrows on the online mode? I remember this being very annoying.

The arrow delay is hard coded in the game. Just have to really think ahead to win :)

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 am

1) Anonymouse, I played DC online back in the original days and it was the case that sometimes there would be a delay (lag) when playing or taking action in-game. However, this would be due to someone having a bad connection or a high ping time, a common occurrence with dial-up over a phone line, especially if the copper wiring had a lot of noise/static over it. However, these days true dial-up probably has cleaner/"quieter" lines, and most people playing Dreamcast online are using Dream Pi's anyway so you shouldn't experience this problem any more.

2) Oh no! SEGA removed ChuChu Rocket! from the Amazon Android app store and Google Play! Now when I go to look for it, it is missing in the line-up and won't show up in the search results. The only clue I can find is a message about the app "not being available in your region." Dang it, SEGA, this is treason! The world needs its crazy Kapu Kapu avoiding, Chu Chu guiding games!

Reki
noob

Post#14 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 am

I don't know about introducing a friend but I'm brand new to the DC community and finally picked one up and am working on my DreamPi setup. One of my friends that likes retro consoles also just picked up a DC and I'm trying to convince him to get a modem and pi.

Though I probably won't be playing ChuChuRocket, as I'm more of an FPS guy (but I'm partial to world party).

I love to see so much activity in the DC online community! :D

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#15 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Reki wrote:Though I probably won't be playing ChuChuRocket, as I'm more of an FPS guy (but I'm partial to world party).

Don't knock it till you try it. It is surprisingly more fun then I ever thought it would be.

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#16 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I don't have anyone to bring into the forum but I introduced my sister in law to the Dreamcast today. Had her and my daughter play some Crazy Taxi 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

alexh86
lithium

Post#17 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm

I have a friend who has been a Dreamcast freak for years, he still has and plays his original system. I've been dropping hints that he needs to get his back online but the cost has been a barrier for him. In my case, I happened to have a Pi laying around and have soldering tools/experience. For me it was cheap and easy to build one. It's not as easy to convince someone to spent $100 to get up and running with a pre-built kit. I haven't even been able to convince him to buy a cheap VGA cable and see the fanstastic image clarity he's missing!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#18 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm

alexh86 wrote:I have a friend who has been a Dreamcast freak for years, he still has and plays his original system. I've been dropping hints that he needs to get his back online but the cost has been a barrier for him. In my case, I happened to have a Pi laying around and have soldering tools/experience. For me it was cheap and easy to build one. It's not as easy to convince someone to spent $100 to get up and running with a pre-built kit. I haven't even been able to convince him to buy a cheap VGA cable and see the fanstastic image clarity he's missing!

I think the biggest hurdle for some is building an LVI. Maybe you could make one for him then it is just case of buying the other pieces.

I use my pi for RetroPie and Kodi as well. Maybe he would be interested in a Pi if he knew it did other things?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

alexh86
lithium

Post#19 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Anonymouse wrote:I think the biggest hurdle for some is building an LVI. Maybe you could make one for him then it is just case of buying the other pieces.

I did offer to make the LVI and would gladly do so for free. To him, it's a cost issue at this point but I'm hoping he changes his mind and joins me for PSO! Ooga Booga may come back soon too which he would love.